Movies

Ok, a few quarantine watches:

Zodiac - I like this movie, but have never connected with it as much as many people whose tastes I share. It's really well crafted, but the very mundanity which makes it effective kinda puts me at arm's length.

The Italian Job (1969) - Real fun movie, great action, and great ending.

Jojo Rabbit - I was in the middle on this one; I think the movie's balancing several tones and nails it like 70% of the time. Not as moving or offensive as people have made it out to be. We facetimed with a friend and her two kids watching this. The younger was 7, and you could really tell they were in for some conversations after this one.

Wayne's World 2 - Felt like they tried to make a feature-length SNL skit based on the movie Wayne's World.

I finally saw Frozen 2. It was okay... the visuals were gorgeous, the music was... bad... except that one REALLY out of context 80's love ballad in the middle, that was rad, and really weird.

I watched National Treasure for the first time since 2004, in a Netflix Party with maybe 12 people in a group chat. Bad movie, good riffing experience.

Take that back, it’s a masterpiece!! I did really enjoy it when it came out, and I was in 4th grade lol. Even as an adult I’ll sill give it props as a decent light Indy Jones rip-off, even if totally ridiculous.

I’ve also taken the route of sillier movies. Last night was Drunken Master II from Jackie Chan.

Take that back, it’s a masterpiece!! I did really enjoy it when it came out, and I was in 4th grade lol. Even as an adult I’ll sill give it props as a decent light Indy Jones rip-off, even if totally ridiculous.

I’ve also taken the route of sillier movies. Last night was Drunken Master II from Jackie Chan.

Drunken Master II is incredible.

The thing that really struck me about National Treasure was the weirdly casual misogyny.

Yeah, I haven't seen it in maybe 6 years, but IIRC, the female researcher is pretty constantly dismissed or even sexualized? Those kind of popular shit films are usually ripe for academic essays on gender politics, wonder if anyone has taken it on haha.

Dismissed, yeah. Regarding the latter, it’s Diane Kruger, so...

A couple of nice Disney+ offerings we watched with the kids that I'd highly recommend are Stargirl and Timmy Failure. If you have kids in the 4th to junior high range, both are pretty fun family watches.

Just watched a great copy on movies hd app on my minix android box of Bad Boys For Life, it genuinely might be the best one yet, Martin Lawrence was hilarious in it. Turned the brain off, put the mobile phone away, few bottles of peroni and for a couple hours all I did was laugh 👌🏼🍻

Back