Movies

Toward the end of the year, we should do a “best of the decade” poll on the thread. I’ve already seen a few publications putting out their own lists, which seems highly disrespectful to the upcoming 2019 films.

I already know of a few that would for sure be on my list, but like all things on this forum, discovering new movies is most of the fun.

Toward the end of the year, we should do a “best of the decade” poll on the thread. I’ve already seen a few publications putting out their own lists, which seems highly disrespectful to the upcoming 2019 films.

I already know of a few that would for sure be on my list, but like all things on this forum, discovering new movies is most of the fun.
Paddington and Paddington 2: list complete

A Hidden Life
I don't think I knew there was a new Malick film on the way. I never got around to watching Knight of Cups or To the Wonder. It felt like both of them were met with such critical ambivalence that my desire to see them plummeted. Even Tree of Life was a challenge for me, and to be honest I'm not sure it's aging well in my memory.

Edit: Jesus, I never saw Song to Song either. I think I thought that and Knight of Cups were the same movie. Has he ever talked about why he's suddenly so prolific (by his standard)?

Even tho I am sober atm the movie 'Wine Country' is such a delightful ROMP with so many funny women and I love it a lot. A GREAT DEAL of hilarious music talk, besides, which was also great. 5 bloody stars.
On my list - haven’t watched yet but of course I love everyone in it so I have to see it.

I don't think I knew there was a new Malick film on the way. I never got around to watching Knight of Cups or To the Wonder. It felt like both of them were met with such critical ambivalence that my desire to see them plummeted. Even Tree of Life was a challenge for me, and to be honest I'm not sure it's aging well in my memory.

Edit: Jesus, I never saw Song to Song either. I think I thought that and Knight of Cups were the same movie. Has he ever talked about why he's suddenly so prolific (by his standard)?
I think the only Malick film I have seen is Tree Of Life (maybe I’ve seen Thin Red Line - I cant remember). But anyway, I absolutely love Tree Of Life. It’s certainly not for everyone. I mean, none of his movies are probably. But I don’t know, I just fell in love with it, the way it moves and looks. I have the criterion version and it has the extended film - which goes over 3 hours and I think it’s even better. I wouldn’t try to argue with someone who doesn’t like it though. I get it. But for me, it might be one of my favorite films ever.

On my list - haven’t watched yet but of course I love everyone in it so I have to see it.

I think the only Malick film I have seen is Tree Of Life (maybe I’ve seen Thin Red Line - I cant remember). But anyway, I absolutely love Tree Of Life. It’s certainly not for everyone. I mean, none of his movies are probably. But I don’t know, I just fell in love with it, the way it moves and looks. I have the criterion version and it has the extended film - which goes over 3 hours and I think it’s even better. I wouldn’t try to argue with someone who doesn’t like it though. I get it. But for me, it might be one of my favorite films ever.
I was *all in* when I put it on for the first time. It looks gorgeous. But, like Wes Anderson, Malick tips over into self-parody so hard sometimes that he circles all the way back around to profound again, on repeat. Is it art? Yes. Is it a good movie? I...don't know.

I was *all in* when I put it on for the first time. It looks gorgeous. But, like Wes Anderson, Malick tips over into self-parody so hard sometimes that he circles all the way back around to profound again, on repeat. Is it art? Yes. Is it a good movie? I...don't know.

I've found that late era Malick is something I really have to be in the right mindset for. It's not something I can just throw on and hope for the best (which I did with Song to Song, and if it weren't for the CBD drops I doubt I could have kept my focus). For my money it's really tough to top his first two films (Badlands and Days of Heaven). They combine a lot of the visual flare he seems obsessed with now with a more structured plot. Badlands in particular is a real masterpiece. I'd start with those two (both should be streaming on CC's service) before trying anything from post Tree of Life.

They combine a lot of the visual flare he seems obsessed with now with a more structured plot.
Agree. From what I've been reading this morning, it sounds like A Hidden Life may be more of a return to that style of filmmaking. What he's been doing really is an interesting appraoch; the idea that a director just shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and then puts together a non-linear 2 hour movie that barely has a narrative using bits and pieces of what they got, and then writes a voiceover script to hang it all on, has plenty of potential. But it can also be tedious, *especially* if you're not in the right mood for it.

Agree. From what I've been reading this morning, it sounds like A Hidden Life may be more of a return to that style of filmmaking. What he's been doing really is an interesting appraoch; the idea that a director just shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and then puts together a non-linear 2 hour movie that barely has a narrative using bits and pieces of what they got, and then writes a voiceover script to hang it all on, has plenty of potential. But it can also be tedious, *especially* if you're not in the right mood for it.
I hope you're right about A Hidden Life, if I had to rank Malik's films they would be in chronological order except maybe for Days Of Heaven which would be first by a hair purely for the visuals (that exterior natural light to interior candlelight shot alone makes more than worth watching).

I hope you're right about A Hidden Life, if I had to rank Malik's films they would be in chronological order except maybe for Days Of Heaven which would be first by a hair purely for the visuals (that exterior natural light to interior candlelight shot alone makes more than worth watching).

I partially agree with you, as those wheat field shots are something to behold. Nothing beats the treehouse sequence in Badlands though. So you'd rank A Thin Red Line and The New World above The Tree of Life?

Back