Movies

There's not a good thread for this really but every once in a while I think of the line Rooster Cogburn yells while charging in both versions of 'True Grit' (original and Coen Bros remake). He's riding towards a gun fight and yells "FILL YOUR HAND YOU SONOFABITCH" which I guess means like 'fill it with a gun' but something about it has always struck me as like, distressingly erotic and sexual. Not contextually, just the phrasing and emphatic nature of shouting that.

I don't think that's a spoiler for the movie but apologies if this bizarre sex confession has "spoiled" your evening

There's not a good thread for this really but every once in a while I think of the line Rooster Cogburn yells while charging in both versions of 'True Grit' (original and Coen Bros remake). He's riding towards a gun fight and yells "FILL YOUR HAND YOU SONOFABITCH" which I guess means like 'fill it with a gun' but something about it has always struck me as like, distressingly erotic and sexual. Not contextually, just the phrasing and emphatic nature of shouting that.

I don't think that's a spoiler for the movie but apologies if this bizarre sex confession has "spoiled" your evening
I’ve seen the original True Grit so many times, even read the book it’s based on, and have never thought that about this line but from now on I will! 😉

It's funny how dismissive I was of the Coens' True Grit. They were coming off No Country, Burn After, and Serious Man and a big-star remake of a classic western didn't feel like a very big move. Looking back, it's such a good western, period. The book's good, too; I haven't read any other Portis though.

And because I don't have any musicians I fully know the discography of, here's my Coens ranking:
  1. Raising Arizona
  2. A Serious Man
  3. Barton Fink
  4. No Country for Old Men
  5. Miller's Crossing
  6. The Big Lebowski
  7. Fargo
  8. Inside Llewyn Davis (I waffle on this one; Llewyn's self-sabotage is effectively frustrating)
  9. O Brother Where Art Thou?
  10. True Grit
  11. Hail Caesar!
  12. Hudsucker Proxy
  13. The Man Who Wasn't There (gotta revisit this one)
  14. Buster Scruggs
  15. Burn After Reading (this one's my fault; I haven't seen it since theaters, it didn't make a strong impression, but those who love it love it)
  16. The Ladykillers
  17. Intolerable Cruelty (is it time for us to reappraise this one from a Spencer/Tracy lens?)

True Grit is spectacularly Coensy - their love of language is evident in every single scene.

And because I don't have any musicians I fully know the discography of, here's my Coens ranking:
  1. Raising Arizona
  2. A Serious Man
  3. Barton Fink
  5. Miller's Crossing
  6. The Big Lebowski
  7. Fargo
  8. Inside Llewyn Davis (I waffle on this one; Llewyn's self-sabotage is effectively frustrating)
  10. True Grit
  11. Hail Caesar!
  12. Hudsucker Proxy
  14. Buster Scruggs
  15. Burn After Reading (this one's my fault; I haven't seen it since theaters, it didn't make a strong impression, but those who love it love it)
  16. The Ladykillers
  17. Intolerable Cruelty (is it time for us to reappraise this one from a Spencer/Tracy lens?)

I think you're giving Scruggs short shrift.

1. Raising Arizona
  2. A Serious Man
  3. Barton Fink
  5. Miller's Crossing
  6. The Big Lebowski
  7. Fargo
  10. True Grit
  11. Hail Caesar!
  12. Hudsucker Proxy
  14. Buster Scruggs
  16. The Ladykillers
It's such an amazing journey. It's my favorite movie from the Coen brothers.

True Grit is spectacularly Coensy - their love of language is evident in every single scene.

I think you're giving Scruggs short shrift.

I started rewatching it on a plane and only got through the first three stories before having to replace my tray table. I like the title story, find the Franco story kinda dispensable, and realized I'd blocked out the Liam Neeson story. I don't find anything really bad about it, but it fell down to the bottom of the list more not out of being the 13 movies above it than being a "bad" movie.

I started rewatching it on a plane and only got through the first three stories before having to replace my tray table. I like the title story, find the Franco story kinda dispensable, and realized I'd blocked out the Liam Neeson story. I don't find anything really bad about it, but it fell down to the bottom of the list more not out of being the 13 movies above it than being a "bad" movie.

I think the Franco story is the only one I could take or leave, although it has some delightful little moments. I found the Liam Neeson story haunting, and I feel the whole thing is a commentary on Hollywood's treatment of more traditional film genres.

saw Rocketman last night. it was fine. it was at its best when it leaned into the more fantastical musical set pieces. but it was also a pretty formulaic music biopic, which I’m just totally bored of at this point. but unlike Bohemian Rhapsody, it at least told its story in an interesting and creative way.

1. Raising Arizona
  2. A Serious Man
  3. Barton Fink
  5. Miller's Crossing
  6. The Big Lebowski
  7. Fargo
  10. True Grit
  11. Hail Caesar!
  12. Hudsucker Proxy
  14. Buster Scruggs
  16. The Ladykillers

No Blood Simple? Have you not seen it or just an oversight? It's years since I watched it but I thought it a masterpiece, one of the most self assured debuts I can think of.

No Blood Simple? Have you not seen it or just an oversight? It's years since I watched it but I thought it a masterpiece, one of the most self assured debuts I can think of.

I remember going into it expecting a rough draft of a film and coming out thinking ‘holy shit, that was a Coen Brothers movie.’ It’s so good.

Back