Movies

I ended up watching the 4k restoration of Police Story, which was also worthwhile.

I’m gonna get to those Ghiblis soon. I need more wholesome goodness in my life.
my friend let me borrow his Miyazaki box set a while ago and I’ve still only managed to watch Spirited Away and Kiki’s Delivery Service. I really enjoyed both, but I think I need to be in a specific mood to watch anime.

my friend let me borrow his Miyazaki box set a while ago and I’ve still only managed to watch Spirited Away and Kiki’s Delivery Service. I really enjoyed both, but I think I need to be in a specific mood to watch anime.

I’d say most of the Ghibli catalogue treads confidently in Masterwork territory. I envy you having so much more ahead of you!

Watch Porco Rosso. Also, I assume this goes without saying, avoid the dubs.

Anyone subscribing to Criterion Channel?
I probably will soon. We just cancelled Netflix because that's literally only good for Netflix originals, and aside from Russian Doll haven't seen one I've liked in a long time. Hulu is much better for TV shows now.

I probably will soon. We just cancelled Netflix because that's literally only good for Netflix originals, and aside from Russian Doll haven't seen one I've liked in a long time. Hulu is much better for TV shows now.
I'm a "Charter Member" because I signed up super early. It needs some work, but it's got so many essentials that I'm overwhelmed every time I log on. Just watched "Gimme Shelter the other day.

Yes! I got a charter subscription as a birthday gift. It’s great. I do agree that from a functional/ design standpoint, it’s still pretty clunky, but FilmStruck was the same way. I still find searching/ filtering to be kind of a crapshoot, but the library is great. I know very little about “essential” films and filmmakers, so I really just enjoy browsing thought and starting anything that looks interesting and then going from there.

Yes! I got a charter subscription as a birthday gift. It’s great. I do agree that from a functional/ design standpoint, it’s still pretty clunky, but FilmStruck was the same way. I still find searching/ filtering to be kind of a crapshoot, but the library is great. I know very little about “essential” films and filmmakers, so I really just enjoy browsing thought and starting anything that looks interesting and then going from there.
I've found they do a great job of curating. I've been loving the Double Features they do and the (Celebrity's) Adventures in Moviegoing. Now that most of my TV shows are done for the season, I'm going to watch a ton of it this summer.

Do it! It’ll give me motivation to get the channel

Charter member here (I just remembered, they sent me an email asking if they can send me a completely pointless charter membership card and I totally need something like that). I actually got a Fire Stick for my tv so I could watch on it (and finally detach myself from my PS4's crummy interface), and have been catching some good stuff. Rewatched Night of the Hunter on a plane last week. I'm just glad to have old movies available to stream.

Charter member here (I just remembered, they sent me an email asking if they can send me a completely pointless charter membership card and I totally need something like that). I actually got a Fire Stick for my tv so I could watch on it (and finally detach myself from my PS4's crummy interface), and have been catching some good stuff. Rewatched Night of the Hunter on a plane last week. I'm just glad to have old movies available to stream.
lol I had the same reaction about that card.

Oh yeah. I definitely signed up to get the card. I have a couple Apple TVs, but the rights issues won't let me stream on my work computer because I have an external monitor. So I have to set up a third screen on my desk. Not ideal, but I'm making it work.

Back