Movies

I just remembered that Green Book won BP last year, so who the hell knows what's gonna happen this time

Look, I'm not upset or outraged about the Oscars. I just like the conversations around them. Every year there's some odd choices and it's fun to talk about.

Little Women feels like a solid winner, but when I go back and look at what's won in the recent past, it's all over the place. Hey, remember Argo? Hey, it's an okay film, but nowhere near the best of that year. It's not even talked about anymore.

Yeah agree it's fun to talk about, not worth getting too worked up over. Still I think it's not worth totally dismissing them, as it's how the general public digests the last year of cinema. Every year I chuckle a bit as I see my less film-inclined coworkers now scrambling to watch the movies that those of us who've been watching all year recommended, just because it got an Oscar nomination. I don't even bother watching the ceremony, but I still wish they would get their act together with the nominees, as some folks really take it seriously.

And hey, don't bag on Argo. Chris Terrio has proven himself to be a master scribe since winning that Oscar 😂

A few of us got on a Tarantino ranking tangent a while back in a thread that sort of thing had no business being in. At the time I hadn't seen Jackie Brown or the newest one, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All has been rectified now as my wife and I have been on a binge of watching them all in order. This is my final ranking:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Django Unchained
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
6. Jackie Brown
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Kill Bill 1/2
9. Death Proof

EDIT: And it should also be noted that if I were rating these on a scale of 1-100, the top 6 would all be 90+ films.

A few of us got on a Tarantino ranking tangent a while back in a thread that sort of thing had no business being in. At the time I hadn't seen Jackie Brown or the newest one, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All has been rectified now as my wife and I have been on a binge of watching them all in order. This is my final ranking:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Django Unchained
4. Reservoir Dogs
6. Jackie Brown
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Kill Bill 1/2
9. Death Proof

EDIT: And it should also be noted that if I were rating these on a scale of 1-100, the top 6 would all be 90+ films.
Here’s mine

1. Pulp Fiction
2 Reservoir Dogs
3 Kill Bill
4 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5 Jackie Brown
6 Inglorious Basterds
7 Hateful 8
8 Django Unchained
9 Death Proof

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Django Unchained
4. Reservoir Dogs
6. Jackie Brown
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Kill Bill 1/2
9. Death Proof

Haven't seen Death Proof, but here's mine. Gotta rewatch Jackie Brown soon.

1. Kill Bill Vol. 1
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Kill Bill Vol. 2
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Jackie Brown
8. The Hateful Eight
9. Django Unchained

Ooooh nice, you got some interesting ones that I didn't get!...but I got way more, although I also got double and triple copies too and lots of crap.
Yeah, i figured the Academy gets hooked up much better than we do. Then again, the qualifications for Spirit Awards and Oscars are much different. Most notably, the budget limit for a Spirit Award nominee is $25m, so that excludes a lot of stuff that gets nominated for Oscars. On the flip side, to be eligible for Spirit Awards, a film only needs to play one of the four big film festivals in a given year, and U.S. theatrical distribution isn't a requirement, which resulted in us getting four films that won't be released here until sometime in 2020 (The Climb, The Vast of Night, Blow the Man Down, Driveways). I'm also guessing you didn't get Portrait of a Lady on Fire because France chose to select Les Miserables instead (damned shame).

Here is my list from that previous thread...
TARANTINO FILMS RANKED
01. Pulp Fiction
02. Inglorious Basterds
03. Kill Bill, Vol. I & II
04. Reservoir Dogs
05. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
06. Django Unchained
07. Jackie Brown
08. The Hateful Eight
09. Death Proof

Let the record, show I would rather watch ANY Tarantino film than pretty much every Marvel film.

Just finished up JoJo Rabbit. I loved it. I will say after seeing this and Knives Out it feels like a lot of these films feel slightly indebted to Wes Anderson’s work from an aesthetic standpoint. Neither are nearly as twee and are very good films in their own right, They just have a bit of that feeling to them. Also, soundtrack-wise both feel influences by Anderson’s work.

Yeah, i figured the Academy gets hooked up much better than we do. Then again, the qualifications for Spirit Awards and Oscars are much different. Most notably, the budget limit for a Spirit Award nominee is $25m, so that excludes a lot of stuff that gets nominated for Oscars. On the flip side, to be eligible for Spirit Awards, a film only needs to play one of the four big film festivals in a given year, and U.S. theatrical distribution isn't a requirement, which resulted in us getting four films that won't be released here until sometime in 2020 (The Climb, The Vast of Night, Blow the Man Down, Driveways). I'm also guessing you didn't get Portrait of a Lady on Fire because France chose to select Les Miserables instead (damned shame).
I actually got Portrait...it was submitted for best picture, it's in my top 3 for the year. It's so gorgeous in every way.
You're right that I didn't get The Climb and the 3 others though.

Weathering with You was gorgeous and enjoyable, but its pacing is uneven and the sense of cosmic romance feels a bit forced. It might have been improved by reining in its scale a bit.

Still enjoyed it, but there was some alchemy at work in Your Name that feels unlikely to be duplicated any time soon.

Weathering with You was gorgeous and enjoyable, but its pacing is uneven and the sense of cosmic romance feels a bit forced. It might have been improved by reining in its scale a bit.

Still enjoyed it, but there was some alchemy at work in Your Name that feels unlikely to be duplicated any time soon.
Yes, I agree it's definitely not as great as Your Name, but it's still probably better than most animated releases in 2019, which was an admittedly average year.

Yes, I agree it's definitely not as great as Your Name, but it's still probably better than most animated releases in 2019, which was an admittedly average year.

Have you both watched A Silent Voice? I really loved Your Name but A Silent Voice really blew that movie out of the water.

Back