Movies

Swinging through to say I really enjoyed Civil War.

The use of tone and cinematorgraphy are both phenomenal. The performances are excellent. And the longer I sit and meditate on its themes, the more it grows on me.

I went in nervous about the critiques that it nueters its politics but came away finding those accusations absurd. The film has a subtlety to what it's doing, but is hardly apolotical.

Civil War makes it clear that much of rural America is more than willing to ignore what is happening. The film makes it clear via Dunst's backstory that MAGA both massacred Anti-Fa and were firmly behind thr 3rd term that led to war. The backstory is just quitely laced into conversational moments.

More importantly, film's primary interest is in the role that journalists have played in getting us to this point. It acknowledges that journalism is vital to democracy and keeping a populace grounded in reality... but also that many journalists have completely lost their integrity and are willingly sacrificing their ethics in the name of maintaining a career.
I haven’t seen it yet so maybe it’s obvious when you watch the film but the reviews I have read suggest that a lot of the background info provided on what led to the current civil war is a bit ambiguous. The example I’ve seen mentioned is the portion regarding the “Antifa Massacre” that the movie alludes to. In the movie, they don’t explicitly state that MAGA massacred Antifa or if Antifa massacred Fascists. I could imagine a scenario where an extremist Left Wing group attacked CPAC during the second term of a MAGA type presidency and then uses this terrorist attack as an excuse to stay in office for a third term. It was also the reason the creators chose to team up Texas and California as the rebelling states. Again, I haven’t seen it so maybe it’s less innocuous than what’s been reported but they’ve made it seem like the movie was attempting to be a bit of a Rorschach test for the viewers ideological bent.

I haven’t seen it yet so maybe it’s obvious when you watch the film but the reviews I have read suggest that a lot of the background info provided on what led to the current civil war is a bit ambiguous. The example I’ve seen mentioned is the portion regarding the “Antifa Massacre” that the movie alludes to. In the movie, they don’t explicitly state that MAGA massacred Antifa or if Antifa massacred Fascists. I could imagine a scenario where an extremist Left Wing group attacked CPAC during the second term of a MAGA type presidency and then uses this terrorist attack as an excuse to stay in office for a third term. It was also the reason the creators chose to team up Texas and California as the rebelling states. Again, I haven’t seen it so maybe it’s less innocuous than what’s been reported but they’ve made it seem like the movie was attempting to be a bit of a Rorschach test for the viewers ideological bent.

The events leading up to it are left hazy, yes. But there is enough info there to draw conclusions. Including the fact that there is a 3rd term president in office. In regards to the massacre, it's noted that Dunst got her break from photographing that event and then moved on to following the MAGA movement around (likely as the president moved for a 3rd term).

Worse movie in the series so far, worst song in the series so far.

IMG_7725.jpeg

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
The Man With The Golden Gun
Diamonds Are Forever
Octopussy

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Sheena Easton - "For Your Eyes Only"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Shirley Bassey - "Moonraker"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
Rita Coolidge - "All Time High"

That theme song though....
b793a3b1-6d41-4648-97db-8f5bb2095815_text.gif

This has been on my Tubi watchlist so long I forgot it was a Sion Sono movie. Queued up Exte (aka Hair Extensions) expecting just some fun subtitled weekend trash, but it's really dang fun. Sono has such an unusual ability to blend twee lifestyle moments with total absurdity and squicky body horror.

Also available dubbed.

8HLaU56x44piiz8B5YHZwUrCnmo.jpg

Back