2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill 1 & 2
4. Hateful Eight
5. Django
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Jackie Brown
8. Once Upon
9. Death Proof

In Europe I think we never saw the original cut for Death Proof, only the extended one as a stand alone movie. So I think the pacing is a bit off with this one.

I might be one of the only lovers of Hateful 8, but man I love that movie, the tension, the dialogs, the acting, it's really fun.

With Parasite's SAG win, it's look ever closer to being the first foreign film to win best picture. We'll have an even better idea when the DGAs and WGAs announce, but it's truly between Parasite, 1917, and OUaTiH. I'd be fine with OUaTiH winning (much less so 1917), but Parasite is the superior and most deserving of the three.

With Parasite's SAG win, it's look ever closer to being the first foreign film to win best picture. We'll have an even better idea when the DGAs and WGAs announce, but it's truly between Parasite, 1917, and OUaTiH. I'd be fine with OUaTiH winning (much less so 1917), but Parasite is the superior and most deserving of the three.
Completely agree. I could see them giving it to Tarantino though as a bit of a make up for awarding Best Picture to Forrest Gump instead of Pulp Fiction. Also, there is nothing Hollywood loves more than movies about itself, but I hope they do the right thing and go with Parasite.

I'd love to eat my hat and see Parasite win BP, but I think Bong's got a better shot at Best Director, and the film is a shoo-in for Foreign Picture. I don't see it taking the gold from 1917 or Hollywood. Part of the issue is that it's sort of dammed to that Foreign Picture category, since none of the other competitors are in it, and I'm not sure if the SAG win says much since the Oscars figured it was worth ignoring for acting. The LA Times wrote a nice piece on the acting in the film, which is a nice quick read / inditement of what the Oscars missed. I'm a bit surprised still that SKH didn't get the nod, even if this isn't his biggest role he's been well known to western audiences for a really long time and hasn't gotten his due.

Off to see this wacky Nic Cage movie by the guy who did Hardware. All I know is a meteor hits and Nic screams at a purple color. That’s pretty much all I need to know.
It's an interesting H P Lovecraft short, for sure. I've seen one other indie film adaptation of it. Wasn't very good. It's so difficult to convey cosmic horror, but I hope to catch this new adaptation this weekend/next week! The style alone is appealing.

Off to see this wacky Nic Cage movie by the guy who did Hardware. All I know is a meteor hits and Nic screams at a purple color. That’s pretty much all I need to know.

Saw this last night too with a free Regal ticket. Strangely they didn't advertise it as a special engagement which it was — no trailers and a taped q&a with Patton Oswalt after the film. Definitely fun for those who like elevated B-movies, he screams about alpacas a lot.

I grew up in Rhode Island, and as a result I was super into Lovecraft as a teen. Color Out of Space was easily a top 3 of his as far as I'm concerned, but this adaptation sort of treats it as a bad acid trip. Honestly, I'm down with this, Lovecraft's paranoia is rooted in xenophobia, and Stanley's late-night horror flick twist seems like the right move for this particular story. The whole thing is a bit of a mess at times, never fully depending into camp, or trying to play it straight, but settles in by the climax.

As @EvanBenner mentions lots of the Lovecraft adaptations are crappy "indie" fan films, and this certainly felt better if less Lovecraftian.
My favorite recent Lovecraftian films remain Alex Garland's Annihilation which borrows the premise of this story, and The Endless which really punches above its budget to capture the Cthulhu vibe. This feels like a sleazier take on Carpenter's The Thing which isn't bad!

I know this isn't a movie, but that opening episode of Picard was really freaking good. Like, fantastic good. And I'm not a big Star Trek guy, but by god's Patrick Stewart is just wonderful.

I know this isn't a movie, but that opening episode of Picard was really freaking good. Like, fantastic good. And I'm not a big Star Trek guy, but by god's Patrick Stewart is just wonderful.

I didn't even realize it had started yet ... TNG was the only ST series I really ever got into so I'm excited for this one

Is this a week-to-week series (as opposed to dropping it all at once) Star Trek: NG was my jam. And I would love to watch it but I don’t think I wanna subscribe to multiple months of CBS-All Access.

Also, just an FYI, you can drop your TV post on the television thread, if you’d like.

Is this a week-to-week series (as opposed to dropping it all at once) Star Trek: NG was my jam. And I would love to watch it but I don’t think I wanna subscribe to multiple months of CBS-All Access.

Also, just an FYI, you can drop your TV post on the television thread, if you’d like.
THERE'S A TV THREAD?? Okay will do. And yes it's a week to week release apparently.

Saw this last night too with a free Regal ticket. Strangely they didn't advertise it as a special engagement which it was — no trailers and a taped q&a with Patton Oswalt after the film. Definitely fun for those who like elevated B-movies, he screams about alpacas a lot.

I grew up in Rhode Island, and as a result I was super into Lovecraft as a teen. Color Out of Space was easily a top 3 of his as far as I'm concerned, but this adaptation sort of treats it as a bad acid trip. Honestly, I'm down with this, Lovecraft's paranoia is rooted in xenophobia, and Stanley's late-night horror flick twist seems like the right move for this particular story. The whole thing is a bit of a mess at times, never fully depending into camp, or trying to play it straight, but settles in by the climax.

As @EvanBenner mentions lots of the Lovecraft adaptations are crappy "indie" fan films, and this certainly felt better if less Lovecraftian.
My favorite recent Lovecraftian films remain Alex Garland's Annihilation which borrows the premise of this story, and The Endless which really punches above its budget to capture the Cthulhu vibe. This feels like a sleazier take on Carpenter's The Thing which isn't bad!
I went in almost completely blind , I have the movie pass and saw an unadvertised Nic Cage horror film and said Yeah I'm in for that. I had a blast with it. Some genuinely creepy parts, and cage going all out in his bug eyed nuttiness.

Back