Movies

Thanks to Spirit Awards screeners, I watched my favorite film of 2020 today. Keep an eye out for The Climb. One of the coolest indie comedies I've seen in a while. Think it's coming out in late March, but thanks to wonky rules involving film festivals, was a Spirit Award nominee this year.

Finally watched the Spirit Award screener. Its sooo good.

Have you both watched A Silent Voice? I really loved Your Name but A Silent Voice really blew that movie out of the water.
For some reason, I missed a lot of stuff from that year. It's on my watchlist...I'll bump it closer to the top.

For some reason, I missed a lot of stuff from that year. It's on my watchlist...I'll bump it closer to the top.
I have the Blu-ray and for whatever reason have not actually watched it yet. I've heard it's great.
OMG!!! Watch it as soon as you can!!! It made me feel....emotions. Last time I cried so much was at the end of Coco.

My Tarantino ranking. I know everyone was at the edge of their seat just waiting for this.

1 // Pulp Fiction
2 // Jackie Brown
3 // Kill Bill Volume 1
4 // Inglorious Basterds
5 // Reservoir Dogs
6 // Kill Bill Volume 2
7 // Django
8 // Hateful 8
9 // Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
10 // Death Proof

Need to see Once Upon a Time in Mexico to complete the more urgent ranking of the "Once Upon a Time films"

My Tarantino ranking. I know everyone was at the edge of their seat just waiting for this.

1 // Pulp Fiction
2 // Jackie Brown
3 // Kill Bill Volume 1
4 // Inglorious Basterds
5 // Reservoir Dogs
6 // Kill Bill Volume 2
7 // Django
8 // Hateful 8
9 // Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
10 // Death Proof

Need to see Once Upon a Time in Mexico to complete the more urgent ranking of the "Once Upon a Time films"

This might be my exact order but with the Kill Bills swapped.

There’s a lot to love about Death Proof, just hard to rank it high within the context of his other work. I love the bifurcated structure (reminds of Chungking Express more than Pulp Fiction) and the overall concept and aesthetic of the film. But it’s also the one that feels the most paper thin to me, never feeling as deep as his other films.

Some day I have to get around to seeing the Grindhouse cut, but I’m asssuming the home video is his preferred version since that is in the Tarantino XX with the faux Criterion director approved sticker. Much like the full Kill Bill, there doesn’t seem to be much desire to present that as one of his main works.

There’s a lot to love about Death Proof, just hard to rank it high within the context of his other work. I love the bifurcated structure (reminds of Chungking Express more than Pulp Fiction) and the overall concept and aesthetic of the film. But it’s also the one that feels the most paper thin to me, never feeling as deep as his other films.

Some day I have to get around to seeing the Grindhouse cut, but I’m asssuming the home video is his preferred version since that is in the Tarantino XX with the faux Criterion director approved sticker. Much like the full Kill Bill, there doesn’t seem to be much desire to present that as one of his main works.

To be honest, it’s the paper-thinness I like. The biggest problem I have with Tarantino (particularly latter work Tarantino) is how overblown they are.

Interesting. I wonder how the Tarantino XX differs. I think one of the reasons I didn't like Death Proof much is because I saw it as the double feature with Planet Terror. Obviously it has been a long time, so I'm not sure 100% on my memory of it, but after the batshit crazy silliness that was Planet Terror and already being in the theater for over two hours, the incredibly long meaningless dialogue just seemed to drag and drag. Don't get me wrong, I know Tarantino loves making great non-plot related dialogue scenes, but nothing stood out to me like his other movies.

Perhaps I should give it a chance again out of the context of the whole grindhouse thing where I know what to expect.

Yeah so I think the Grindhouse set-up is kinda why so many didn't like Death Proof, or so I thought...until reading people haven't seen it that way. I saw it as the double feature Grindhouse version and still liked it though. It's not a top tier movie, but I enjoyed it so much more than it seems everyone else did. Planet Terror is so insane and fun and Death Proof just didn't work as well as the following film. But...I don't know...the slowness of it worked for me.

Also I used to love Tarantino, but I've kinda fallen off with him. I don't have much desire to watch many of his movies again. Personally, though, Inglorious Basterds is still my favorite. I think it's a fantastic film, and easily the best thing he's ever done. I also did see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and found myself really taken with its easy-going nature for much of its lengthy running time. It's overly long, but again that slowness won me over, and the look and feel of it all just really worked.

Still haven't seen The Hateful Eight. Just sounded kind of like a chore to watch, so I never did.

Still haven't seen The Hateful Eight. Just sounded kind of like a chore to watch, so I never did.

I put it off for a while too thinking the same but I was wrong. I actually found it to be enjoyable despite my lower ranking — not a chore at all. The length may be long, but it has a very theatrical feel to it, so it doesn't feel overstuffed. Think more Glengarry Glen Ross than Kill Bill.

I still love his old films but I agree with the lack of interest as of late. Hateful Eight, Django and Hollywood all felt like a big step down for me. Honestly I think it's mostly a visual aesthetic thing. He's stated that he wants to keep writing after retiring, possibly for the stage, and IMO you can tell his heart is there more than the visuals, which have all seemed a little boilerplate to my taste in his 2010s work. Since that's half of what I love about his films I've been a lot less invested in these new worlds as a result.

Interesting. I wonder how the Tarantino XX differs. I think one of the reasons I didn't like Death Proof much is because I saw it as the double feature with Planet Terror. Obviously it has been a long time, so I'm not sure 100% on my memory of it, but after the batshit crazy silliness that was Planet Terror and already being in the theater for over two hours, the incredibly long meaningless dialogue just seemed to drag and drag. Don't get me wrong, I know Tarantino loves making great non-plot related dialogue scenes, but nothing stood out to me like his other movies.

Perhaps I should give it a chance again out of the context of the whole grindhouse thing where I know what to expect.

The XX set is actually just clones of all the available on market BR discs with new art and two exclusive bonus discs. Sadly this means you get the horrible Reservoir Dogs transfer and the slightly less horrible Pulp Fiction one. The Death Proof edit is just the standalone disc which is a longer extended / unrated cut from what was put in the Grindhouse movie. There's a nerdy breakdown here.

I might be taking the marketing hype of XX too seriously but it was promoted as QT's approved filmography, so I would guess he views Death Proof Extended as his final say on that film. Strangely enough there's also a copy of True Romance as the first disc in that set, so who knows lol.

I put it off for a while too thinking the same but I was wrong. I actually found it to be enjoyable despite my lower ranking — not a chore at all. The length may be long, but it has a very theatrical feel to it, so it doesn't feel overstuffed. Think more Glengarry Glen Ross than Kill Bill.

I still love his old films but I agree with the lack of interest as of late. Hateful Eight, Django and Hollywood all felt like a big step down for me. Honestly I think it's mostly a visual aesthetic thing. He's stated that he wants to keep writing after retiring, possibly for the stage, and IMO you can tell his heart is there more than the visuals, which have all seemed a little boilerplate to my taste in his 2010s work. Since that's half of what I love about his films I've been a lot less invested in these new worlds as a result.
Agreed! Tension builds & builds &builds. Also, lots more great actors chewing scenery. Love me some Walt Groggins, Kurt Russell, Sam Jackson in bad MF’er mode and the incomparable Bruce Dern. It is not his best but it is still a damn fine movie.

I’ll get to it eventually.

But I’ve been saying that for years now

Back