Movies

Bull Shannon

I would really like to see it again but have a feeling I'll end up waiting for the Blu-ray. I don't get to the theater nearly as much as I'd like.
Oh yeah it's definitely on my to-own list (and I don't really buy movies these days); it may be a deep, emotional movie, but it's also so out-and-out cha-a-a-arming that it's truly a vibe I want to hang with anytime I can.

kvetcha

Oh yeah it's definitely on my to-own list (and I don't really buy movies these days); it may be a deep, emotional movie, but it's also so out-and-out cha-a-a-arming that it's truly a vibe I want to hang with anytime I can.
I would buy it just for Chris Cooper's performance, and that's like the fourth or fifth most remarkable thing in the movie.

also, I am picking up your Griff reference.

Bull Shannon

I would buy it just for Chris Cooper's performance, and that's like the fourth or fifth most remarkable thing in the movie.

also, I am picking up your Griff reference.
Oh gosh Chris Cooper is so so good in this movie. Considering his character appears to do very little other than stand still in his study. There is so much about this movie that comes across as simple, but hides so much depth. Ugh. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I love so much that he asks about Beth playing his piano twice; the movie doesn't have to do that (and I could see some editors excising it due to redundancy), but it really drives home how much he'd just like anyone to break him out of his grief, yet makes it all the more moving when he actually hears Beth playing. And the short, almost-inessential scene where he's lingering outside the house and says it doesn't feel right going in...I'm not crying.

kvetcha

Oh gosh Chris Cooper is so so good in this movie. Considering his character appears to do very little other than stand still in his study. There is so much about this movie that comes across as simple, but hides so much depth. Ugh. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I love so much that he asks about Beth playing his piano twice; the movie doesn't have to do that (and I could see some editors excising it due to redundancy), but it really drives home how much he'd just like anyone to break him out of his grief, yet makes it all the more moving when he actually hears Beth playing. And the short, almost-inessential scene where he's lingering outside the house and says it doesn't feel right going in...I'm not crying.
His quietly crying on the stairs while Beth plays is just an incredible moment.

zombie.modernist

His quietly crying on the stairs while Beth plays is just an incredible moment.
Lots of the non-verbal moments of this film were great but this might have been one of the greatest, so touching.

I think Little Women is actually going to come out on UHD Blu-Ray which is a nice surprise as most films on that format (hard copies at least) are macho action crap. I hardly ever go for a UHD disc these days as I don't rewatch enough to merit the $30 purchase but this is one I'll gladly be picking up.

Bohnjaggs

My favorite Chris Cooper role is still in The Muppets

zombie.modernist

Got back from 1917 I thought it was amazing. Watch it on the biggest and loudest screen you can.
Thought 1917 was okay. Apart from the technical virtuosity (which is impressive), I didn't really get anything out of it.
I actually agree with both of you as I find myself somewhat in the middle. I was able to check this out in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos today, as an experience it was absolutely awesome and as a film I thought it was decent. Still it was so fun and visually stimulating I feel bad going in on it, it's already gobbling up awards and I just don't really think it's in the conversation for best film.

I think some of my objections really boil down to the story which I had limited connection to. A lot of comparisons are being drawn to Dunkirk but after watching the film I was reminded more of thrillers like Curarón's Gravity, another film I felt lacked a fair deal of substance, and challenged my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. Still Gravity succeeded more as a thriller because it didn't have any intention to be anything more than that. I feel like this film is reaching for something more but not fully connecting with me?

Still, a fun film to see. As far as awards go, my problem is that there are films this year that having amazing photography, a stunning mise en scene, great editing and deliver a stronger point.

ayayrawn

Big fucking yikes for this years's oscar noms.

• Multiple POC (Song Kang-Ho, Zhao Shuzhen, Jennifer Lopez, Awkwafina, etc.) snubbed in acting categories so Kathy Bates could get nominated out of nowhere and Scarlett could get nominated twice.
  • Greta Gerwig snubbed for best director for Todd fucking Philips
  • 11 noms for Joker??????
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil having more noms than The Farewell and Uncut Gems