Movies

Purchased from the iTunes Store and just watched. Great two hours spent.

Once I saw Damián Szifron is the director, I put it on my to-watch list. He directed the great anthology film Relatos Salvajes (Wild Tales) and made the really good early-2000s Argentine TV show Los simuladores (The Simulators), which is getting a revival pretty soon.

Conitnuing my sporadic watch of all of Miyazaki's films, watched Castle In The Sky last night. This is one I haven't seen before, and barely even heard about. But why? It's really great! At first I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it, but there was a certain moment, a turn in the story near the first act where it really clicked for me. From that point forward I found it pretty thrilling, with some sequences being maybe the best I've seen in his films. It also has some beautiful world building and phenomenal animation. Really loved this one.

Also since rewatching Princess Mononoke, I have been trying to figure out what my favorite one really is. I don't know. I always thought it was that one. I really enjoyed the rewatch. There's stuff in that movie that has just stuck with me forever. But it can be a heavier kind of film in some ways.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Searching when it came out, but this one is better so far (about half way in).
images

I watch Missing about a month back and enjoyed it. I have not seen searching and have heard it's related to this film. Is it same director and theme?
Missing is called a sequel, but it's a stand alone movie. Searching is a similar style, with John Cho (which is what made me watch it). His daughter goes missing and he investigates through her computer which is what we see. It was an original format then which was part of the appeal, but Missing does it too and is a better story overall so I'm not sure if Searching is entirely worth watching but it's not bad.

Missing is called a sequel, but it's a stand alone movie. Searching is a similar style, with John Cho (which is what made me watch it). His daughter goes missing and he investigates through her computer which is what we see. It was an original format then which was part of the appeal, but Missing does it too and is a better story overall so I'm not sure if Searching is entirely worth watching but it's not bad.

Thanks for the info. I would never have thought it was a sequel, because it's a stand alone movie. Good to know.

Alright. Taking the kids to Chicago in 2 weeks. Best movies to show them about Chicago? They're 13 and 15 so we can do some PG-13 to soft R movies. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is on there. Thinking maybe Blues Brothers. Maybe Adventures in Babysitting and Backdraft. Any others?

Wife and I will watch About Last Night and Nothing In Common.

Alright. Taking the kids to Chicago in 2 weeks. Best movies to show them about Chicago? They're 13 and 15 so we can do some PG-13 to soft R movies. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is on there. Thinking maybe Blues Brothers. Maybe Adventures in Babysitting and Backdraft. Any others?

Rookie of the Year

Edit; also Eight Men Out

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

The Dark Knight Trilogy 😬

Farris Bueller’s Day Off and Blues Brothers for sure. Maybe The Untouchables or Road To Perdition for Chicago mob ties. Eight Man Out for some baseball. And there is always High Fidelity, this is a Record forum after all.

Is the musical Chicago too on the nose ?

Not a movie but the opening credits of Married With Children feature a lot of Chicago landmarks (most notably the big fountain).

Child's Play, The Flatliners, The Relic, Candyman, Alligator...

I'm clearly not the best person for this kind of advice.

Back