Movies

Well this turned out to be one of the best film surprises of the year. So much fun. So over the top. Brilliant.

View attachment 173619
truly a great deal of fun

if you have a commute to make, you may enjoy these two podcasts:

and/or (you can find them both on apple podcasts or spotify or player.fm or whatever, i just figured soundcloud is fairly agnostic)

So, I imported my IMDb watchlist and rated movies into Letterboxd. In theory, this seems like a good idea, but all the TV shows included were reconciled with movies with slightly similar names. So now I've gotta sort through that mess.

2. I've noticed that the IMDd and Letterboxd scoring systems do not translate particularly well. For example, I give a lot of movies 8/10, which signifies I liked it but I doubt I'd revisit anytime soon. An 8/10 on IMDb might be more like a 3/5 on Letterboxd, yet it sits at 4/5. I dunno, just some initial observations as I feel those on Letterboxd grade much more difficult than on IMDb.

So, I imported my IMDb watchlist and rated movies into Letterboxd. In theory, this seems like a good idea, but all the TV shows included were reconciled with movies with slightly similar names. So now I've gotta sort through that mess.

2. I've noticed that the IMDd and Letterboxd scoring systems do not translate particularly well. For example, I give a lot of movies 8/10, which signifies I liked it but I doubt I'd revisit anytime soon. An 8/10 on IMDb might be more like a 3/5 on Letterboxd, yet it sits at 4/5. I dunno, just some initial observations as I feel those on Letterboxd grade much more difficult than on IMDb.
This is all arbitrary of course, but interesting that an 8/10 is just something you liked. For me, an 8/10 is something great. I do grade differently for 5 and 10 scale though. Personally a 5/5 can be anything from 9-10/10. And a 4.5/5 and be like 8.5-9/10, etc. I don't give out 10s hardly ever, but I'll do 5/5s with some regularity.

For me, usually, it's:

5/5 - Masterpiece
4.5/5 - Excellent
4/5 - Great
3.5/5 - good
3/5 - okay
2.5/5 - mediocre/forgettable
2/5 - bad
1.5 - horrible
1 - abysmal
.5 - unwatchable

I couldn't really find a scale I liked, so I just had to give up on rating anything ever forever, and I ended up just deleting my Goodreads and Letterboxd accounts entirely (although I was in an account deleting mood at the time, none of my social networks survived either). It's nice reading a book or watching something and not having to think of a score in the back of my mind while I'm doing so.

I couldn't really find a scale I liked, so I just had to give up on rating anything ever forever, and I ended up just deleting my Goodreads and Letterboxd accounts entirely (although I was in an account deleting mood at the time, none of my social networks survived either). It's nice reading a book or watching something and not having to think of a score in the back of my mind while I'm doing so.
I rarely rate things on goodreads anymore, i just mark it as read. Mainly just keeps track of what I'm reading/want to read these days. Also if I can't decide what to really rate something, I just don't and move on. Again, it's all arbitrary

This is all arbitrary of course, but interesting that an 8/10 is just something you liked. For me, an 8/10 is something great. I do grade differently for 5 and 10 scale though. Personally a 5/5 can be anything from 9-10/10. And a 4.5/5 and be like 8.5-9/10, etc. I don't give out 10s hardly ever, but I'll do 5/5s with some regularity.

For me, usually, it's:

5/5 - Masterpiece
4.5/5 - Excellent
4/5 - Great
3.5/5 - good
3/5 - okay
2.5/5 - mediocre/forgettable
2/5 - bad
1.5 - horrible
1 - abysmal
.5 - unwatchable
I think if I'm grading movies in a vacuum, an 8/10 is great. But if I'm looking at something that has an 8.5/10 on IMDb and is in the top 250 of all time, my scale starts to get skewed. Do I give it a lower score because I feel it doesn't deserve an 8.5? Or a 10/10 because I think it deserves higher. I find I want my score to move the needle, no matter how much I know it actually won't.

Also, I sometimes rate purely off nostalgia or entertainment value. Like I'll throw a 10/10 at Armageddon just because it hits that feel for me and I try not to take myself too seriously. This also applies to comedies. Happy Gilmore has a 7/10. Do I really think it's a 3.5/5 personally? That would be 'I kinda regret watching this' territory for me.

I think if I'm grading movies in a vacuum, an 8/10 is great. But if I'm looking at something that has an 8.5/10 on IMDb and is in the top 250 of all time, my scale starts to get skewed. Do I give it a lower score because I feel it doesn't deserve an 8.5? Or a 10/10 because I think it deserves higher. I find I want my score to move the needle, no matter how much I know it actually won't.

Also, I sometimes rate purely off nostalgia or entertainment value. Like I'll throw a 10/10 at Armageddon just because it hits that feel for me and I try not to take myself too seriously. This also applies to comedies. Happy Gilmore has a 7/10. Do I really think it's a 3.5/5 personally? That would be 'I kinda regret watching this' territory for me.
Can you explain why reducing the same fraction makes you feel like it's a lower score? Is there a different label on what each is supposed to mean on IMDb vs letterboxd? Otherwise 7/10 and 3.5/5 are literally the same score.

Can you explain why reducing the same fraction makes you feel like it's a lower score? Is there a different label on what each is supposed to mean on IMDb vs letterboxd? Otherwise 7/10 and 3.5/5 are literally the same score.
The Letterboxd clientele is more critical. So it’s a 7.0 on IMDb and 6.8 (3.4) on LB.

Butterfly Effect is a 7.6 and 7.0 (3.5) on LB. As @ayayrawn said above, the thought process behind a 10 point and 5 point rating system seems to throw things off a bit.

Back