Movies

Little Mermaid was good. There were parts that didn't work for me like its version of Under The Sea and the god awful Awkwafina rap. I love Lin Manuel Miranda but like George Lucas, someone needs to know when to tell him no. Halle Bailey was very good and Melissa McCarthy was also good in a role that would hard for anyone to live up to. All that said, Disney needs to move on from remakes and get back to making great original content. I'm hoping Wish will be that. Elemental looks good but feels like something we've seen before.
I enjoyed the little mermaid too, but I didn’t love it. That rap is no good and honestly I didn’t even like Awkwafina’s performance in general.

Agreed about Elemental. Looks like it could be cool visually but the story feels so similar to any number of Disney / Pixar films.

I enjoyed the little mermaid too, but I didn’t love it. That rap is no good and honestly I didn’t even like Awkwafina’s performance in general.

Agreed about Elemental. Looks like it could be cool visually but the story feels so similar to any number of Disney / Pixar films.
Reviews out of Cannes indicate that Elemental is not great, but I still want to see it.

Last night's Chicago movie. This was a huge player when I was a kid. I wanted to be in advertising, live in Chicago, drive a jeep, having a terrible relationship with my parents, and have a kickass apartment.

Nothing_in_common_movie_poster.jpg

Last night's Chicago movie. This was a huge player when I was a kid. I wanted to be in advertising, live in Chicago, drive a jeep, having a terrible relationship with my parents, and have a kickass apartment.

Nothing_in_common_movie_poster.jpg
Well, did you get at least some of those things?

other than somehow not knowing until the credits rolled that the new spider-verse movie was the first of a two-parter (thus leaving the theater still wanting more), i can't heap enough praise on this and the first spider-verse film. i still cannot believe the first one did not get a best picture nom. this one should, too, but maybe it being a part I will sink that. imo, both of the spider-verse movies have been utterly fantastic and incredible, top-to-bottom achievements in movie making.

other than somehow not knowing until the credits rolled that the new spider-verse movie was the first of a two-parter (thus leaving the theater still wanting more), i can't heap enough praise on this and the first spider-verse film. i still cannot believe the first one did not get a best picture nom. this one should, too, but maybe it being a part I will sink that. imo, both of the spider-verse movies have been utterly fantastic and incredible, top-to-bottom achievements in movie making.
The first one won the Best Animated Film Oscar!

Spiderverse 2 great!

The first is easily, not even close, the best superhero related thing of the last 10-15 years, and deserved its oscar, and all the other accolades. A perfectly realized film.

I think 2 is better in someways and slightly worse in others. The animation is absolutely mindblowing. A new creative idea or style what seems like everything 30 seconds. A huge feat in the medium. It's held back, for me, by what felt like an overabundance of references and of course, the fact that it's part 1 of a whole story.

Still great though, and lots of fun. Lightyears ahead of anything in the MCU.

Interested to see how How Do You Live? (What will probably be Miyazaki's final film) and Spiderverse 2 contend in the lead up to awards season. Disney and Pixar animation have been kind of creatively stagnant in recent years, and it's nice to see films like Spdierverse and GDT's Pinocchio get accolades in their stead. Anticipating another year like that.

Back