Movies

Alright. Taking the kids to Chicago in 2 weeks. Best movies to show them about Chicago? They're 13 and 15 so we can do some PG-13 to soft R movies. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is on there. Thinking maybe Blues Brothers. Maybe Adventures in Babysitting and Backdraft. Any others?

Wife and I will watch About Last Night and Nothing In Common.
On a more serious note, High Fidelity.

Drinking Buddies is a dramatization of the interpersonal story behind the founders of one of our main craft brewers (Revolution). Pretty sure Joe Swanberg does a lot of Chicago-based stuff. DB's not very eventful though.

Saint Frances is Chicago though it feels more on the outskirts (Evanston). Very cute movie, but deals heavily with abortion/parenthood.

Public Enemies (haven't seen yet, and some was filmed in Wisconsin, but fits alongside The Untouchables for Chicago's history of organized crime.) Basically anything Capone/Dillinger.

Escape Room is wild. Chicago is more of a bookend setting since it all takes place inside the confines of a tower, but super entertaining. The sequel, not so much.

Inside Llewyn Davis has a good Chicago plot line, though it's primarily a NYC movie. Wish I knew more Chicago Blues/music films off the top of my head, but Blues Brothers is a no-brainer, as you've said.

Speaking of Chicago history, I've been meaning to see Judas and the Black Messiah.

Source Code is a fun "Chicago" thriller though it all takes place on an inbound Metra train haha.

Thief was pretty good too, and very Chicago in its settings.

Anyways, I love my dang chosen city and get giddy whenever it pops up as a real movie setting. Apologies for rambling.

Ha. Older one has watched Child's Play and Candyman with me so I'm not exactly Father of the Year material.
The stuff my brother and i watched when i was little. Child's Play, Maniac Cop, Critters, Conan The Barbarian, Candyman, Friday The 13th, IT, Predator ect.

Oddly enough, aside from Child's Play, the only things that scared me was the goblins in Labyrinth, Meg Mucklebones from Legend and for some reason the trolls from Fraggle Rock.

Alright. Taking the kids to Chicago in 2 weeks. Best movies to show them about Chicago? They're 13 and 15 so we can do some PG-13 to soft R movies. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is on there. Thinking maybe Blues Brothers. Maybe Adventures in Babysitting and Backdraft. Any others?

Adventures in Babysitting for the kids. Their parents go out for the night in Chicago and the kids end up there as well with the babysitter. I loved it as a kid. I’m sure it’s dated though!

Edit: I obviously didn’t read for comprehension!

Last edited:
Saw Across The Spider-Verse yesterday. I really liked the first one and felt like this one would at the very least live up to it. But I think it just surpasses it a bit. So much fun, so many incredible bits of animation styles, and just jam packed visuals to look at. It’s a story that is fairly simple on the surface but effective at what it’s trying to do. The only issue I have is this is apparently a part one, so it ends with a major cliffhanger. The cliffhanger definitely works, but it also makes the movie feel just a little incomplete as a whole story. That said, this is maybe the best animated film I’ve seen in years. I saw it in IMAX and just had a ton of fun letting all the visuals fly out at me. If there are going to be more regurgitated, boring, comic book movies, give ‘em a bit more life by at least making them animated. Cause these two films prove it’s a perfect medium. I don’t watch all the other ones. But for the Spider-Verse I’m all in.

Seconding @TenderLovingKiller® 's recommendation of Road to Perdition (it's R, so you might want to watch it first). It's a great movie, especially about fathers and sons, and happens to be set and filmed in Chicago. Sam Mendes directed Paul Newman, Tom Hanks, Jude Law, Daniel Craig, Stanley Tucci, Jennifer Jason Leigh, etc.

EDIT: also came across this list: Look for Movie History from the Window of Your Private Car

Last edited:
"Reality" on Max (formerly HBO Max, formerly HBO Go, formerly HBO, formerly Home Box Office, formerly i want to say Blockbuster?) is quite good. An intense, unnerving film and also short, which a busy parent appreciates. Highly recommended.
Agreed, it's a tense little film that's under 90 minutes! I enjoyed it.

Kids loved Ferris Bueller's Day off. I kept pointing out all the places we would go that were in the movie.

Next up is going to see the Little Mermaid today. Tonight could be watching Nothing In Common with my wife. That one's a little too raw for teens. Plus Tom Hanks is a womanizer like his father. But he lives in the Wilco Towers.

Little Mermaid was good. There were parts that didn't work for me like its version of Under The Sea and the god awful Awkwafina rap. I love Lin Manuel Miranda but like George Lucas, someone needs to know when to tell him no. Halle Bailey was very good and Melissa McCarthy was also good in a role that would hard for anyone to live up to. All that said, Disney needs to move on from remakes and get back to making great original content. I'm hoping Wish will be that. Elemental looks good but feels like something we've seen before.

Back