Movies

I watched Godzilla: King of the Monsters last night. I was really impressed and theres some breathtaking cgi in there. I saw that it has a really low rotten tomatoes score (think it was around 40%), which made my enjoyment of it even more surprising. It certainly isnt a serious film, but if you go into it expecting some epic cgi shots, and a hell of a lot of action then you should be in for a treat.

RIP Spiderman in the MCU.
They are just playing chicken. Sony is acting like they have more skin in the game than they do, Disney is being selfish as per usual. Someone is going to cave. Right now Sony has better power since they can just bend over everything Disney has been working on, but Disney probably released this shit to make them look bad, which it is doing.

Just watched Rigor Mortis. Definitely not for everyone, but holy hell it's like this movie was made for me. Martial arts + Silent Hill + Crimson Peak? More, please.

So just back from Once Upon a time in Hollywood...U.K. opening weekend

I loved it ..didn’t do what I thought it would and didn’t go where I thought we were heading .. wonderful lead actors .. it will be a marmite film ..you’ll love it or hate it ..

Saw this over the weekend, and I also absolutely loved it. All three leads were really excellent, especially Brad Pitt. I really loved how the radio stations were like another character in the film.

Saw this over the weekend, and I also absolutely loved it. All three leads were really excellent, especially Brad Pitt. I really loved how the radio stations were like another character in the film.

Great reading the reactions online...completely divided

Best quote was “What was the point of the Sharon Tate character?”

You couldn’t make it up

Great reading the reactions online...completely divided

Best quote was “What was the point of the Sharon Tate character?”

You couldn’t make it up

I only saw it for the first time yesterday (Australia is pretty much always last :()

I understand the sensitivity regarding that, and the want to not glorify Manson or the murders; but overall I think he played that whole angle too safe. Plotwise it could have all panned out how he wanted, and still could have given the reality of the murders more exposition and had more threat to Sharon, she essentially wasn't even involved in the final scene, so much more could have been done with all that incredible tension and Tarantino still would have got to save Sharon Tate and have his happy ending.

Did anyone here not really know about the murders or how the Manson thing went down before seeing the movie? I read Helter Skelter in preparation and I think I would have questioned why she was included too if I hadn't educated myself a bit. I also would have thought the finale way over the top if I didn't know the real murders were probably even more brutal than that.

I only saw it for the first time yesterday (Australia is pretty much always last :()

I understand the sensitivity regarding that, and the want to not glorify Manson or the murders; but overall I think he played that whole angle too safe. Plotwise it could have all panned out how he wanted, and still could have given the reality of the murders more exposition and had more threat to Sharon, she essentially wasn't even involved in the final scene, so much more could have been done with all that incredible tension and Tarantino still would have got to save Sharon Tate and have his happy ending.

Did anyone here not really know about the murders or how the Manson thing went down before seeing the movie? I read Helter Skelter in preparation and I think I would have questioned why she was included too if I hadn't educated myself a bit. I also would have thought the finale way over the top if I didn't know the real murders were probably even more brutal than that.

The real murders were definitely more brutal...

He gave us the “Hollywood” ending ...hence the title “Once upon a time..” . It was also very much a western in the modern world...that whole scene at the ranch .... very clever film

Angel has fallen..not great..weakest of the three for me ... best thing is Nick Nolte ..but the action is a bit weak compared to first two, some dodgy effects and pretty obvious plot and villains signposted very early

Double bill of The Terminator 1 and 2 tonight .. looking forward to this ..never seen the 1st on the big screen, hard to believe it’s been 28 years since the 2nd at the cinema

Just hoping the world doesn’t end when I come out

Significant date for this showing

Watching "The Outsiders" on Sundance this evening. I can still pretty much quote every line in this movie from seeing it so much as a kid. I've got a soft spot for it even though it really isn't that great of a movie. The cast is absolutely ridiculous though. Every young actor in Hollywood at the time was in that movie. Plus, the brief Tom Waits cameo is always cool.

The U-verse program description for this movie: "A gang of street-tough kids in a small town tries to maintain their status against a rival gang, leading to a fight over pretty girls."

Last edited:
Free this weekend and campaigning to my wife that we should use the time to indulge in a triple feature of Luce, The Farewell, & UOATIH.

Her counter-offer is that if we add in Where’d You Go, Bernadette? then we have a deal.

To which I say

giphy.gif

Back