Movies

Ad Astra is a beautiful, meditative space movie, and I love meditative space movies.

Sadly, there were 3 or 4 groups that didn't agree and left the movie early, I think they expected something with more action... 🤷 (Still better than the loud drunk ladies that showed up halfway through Arrival when I saw it and talked and laughed through the last 30 minutes).

I’m kind of interested in Ad Astra, but all the talk about how it’s gonna be the most accurate space movie ever just makes me suspect that it’s going to be an incredibly inaccurate space movie.

Some reviewers I respect liked it, but a good friend saw it over the weekend and described it as ‘a third rate Malick about daddy issues, and not nearly as beautiful.’

I watched Aladdin last night (the remake). Why? I don't know. Curiosity? Anyway, it was still just utterly pointless. The parts I thought would be the worst (Will Smith as Genie) actually ended up being the best parts. I also liked Nasim Pedrad. Everyone/everything else? Blah.

I watched Aladdin last night (the remake). Why? I don't know. Curiosity? Anyway, it was still just utterly pointless. The parts I thought would be the worst (Will Smith as Genie) actually ended up being the best parts. I also liked Nasim Pedrad. Everyone/everything else? Blah.

Nasim Pedrad is a national treasure

I’m kind of interested in Ad Astra, but all the talk about how it’s gonna be the most accurate space movie ever just makes me suspect that it’s going to be an incredibly inaccurate space movie.

Some reviewers I respect liked it, but a good friend saw it over the weekend and described it as ‘a third rate Malick about daddy issues, and not nearly as beautiful.’

After having a day to digest it, I'd say it has some similarity to Interstellar, but with things like the connections between people being important to the people, and not to the laws of physics (luckily). You spend A LOT of time with Brad Pitt's face, and there's a lot of his character narrating. The space shots are beautiful, but also done in a rather matter-of-fact way. There are action scenes, but they're spread out with more contemplative bits...

So, I guess this is a long way of saying your mileage may vary.

And speaking of Nasim, I can't wait for her new TBS show...

After having a day to digest it, I'd say it has some similarity to Interstellar, but with things like the connections between people being important to the people, and not to the laws of physics (luckily). You spend A LOT of time with Brad Pitt's face, and there's a lot of his character narrating. The space shots are beautiful, but also done in a rather matter-of-fact way. There are action scenes, but they're spread out with more contemplative bits...

I should point out that this friend is generally a fan of this sort of thing. Loves Malick.

Just found out about amc screening The Shining 4K remaster this Thursday. And it’s only $5! Count me in. I’ve always wanted to see it in a theater, never thought I’d be able to.
Sucks I got a ticket for it but forgot the Eagles game is on tonight so I'm going to miss it. hope they do it again.

I'm going to give this one a go tomorrow.

Back