Movies

All the awesome characters died in one abrupt scene and there was a pointed lack of Nazi killing for a movie claiming to be about it. They built all these dudes up and then just scrapped them, like he often does. Yeah, she killed Hitler, but that almost seemed silly as I didn't expect the alternate universe angle and had no reason to. So instead of a "Yay" moment it was an "oh... That's where he was going with this?" moment. A bunch of great characters, abrupt and unsatisfactory endings.
I get the sense that you've only seen it once? I didn't love it on first viewing, but on subsequent ones I realized how superb the pacing really is. The whole movie is a fuse burning down to dynamite and the ending is set up way early on. Also, I'm not quite sure how you can dislike the movie for a lack of nazi-killing, but also not like the ending either. It's one of the most effectively cathartic climaxes ever put to film IMO.

I get the sense that you've only seen it once? I didn't love it on first viewing, but on subsequent ones I realized how superb the pacing really is. The whole movie is a fuse burning down to dynamite and the ending is set up way early on. Also, I'm not quite sure how you can dislike the movie for a lack of nazi-killing, but also not like the ending either. It's one of the most effectively cathartic climaxes ever put to film IMO.
I hd a similar reaction to Basterds the first time I saw it. I think I was expecting more Kill Bill than Pulp Fiction, and the pacing left me wondering when we'd get to the fireworks factory. I think that makes the fireworks factory (which is filled with, like, another fireworks factory) seem abrupt and weirdly underwhelming. It holds up to repeat viewings a whole lot better; knowing to just revel in the dialogue and the buildup makes it all go down a whole lot better.

Still got 3 weeks for Once Upon... to open over here but I’m excited for it.

My ranking (favourite to least favourite of what I’ve seen) to date:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill 2
Django Unchained
Hateful Eight
Inglourious Basterds
CSI episode
Jackie Brown

Still got 3 weeks for Once Upon... to open over here but I’m excited for it.

My ranking (favourite to least favourite of what I’ve seen) to date:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill 2
Django Unchained
Hateful Eight
Inglourious Basterds
CSI episode
Jackie Brown

For me its:
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Django Unchained
Inglourious Basterds
The Hateful Eight
Death Proof

For me its:
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Django Unchained
Inglourious Basterds
The Hateful Eight
Death Proof

I keep meaning to give Jackie Brown another shot. I watched it on release and was so disappointed with it but I have lots of friends whose opinions on movies I trust that really love it. I’ll get around to it someday.

I keep meaning to give Jackie Brown another shot. I watched it on release and was so disappointed with it but I have lots of friends whose opinions on movies I trust that really love it. I’ll get around to it someday.

It just feels weird that that's the movie he made after Pulp Fiction.
I watched it once back when I was first getting into Tarantino, but appreciated it much more watching it again recently, definitely worth it. Samuel L Jackson says it's his favorite Tarantino role; I'm not sure I would say I prefer it over Jules, but it's up there.

Jackie Brown is top 3 for me for sure. Hard for me to pick between that, Pulp Fiction & Kill Bill. Just depends on my mood on a given day as to which is my favorite. I don’t think he’s made a bad film. The Hateful Eight is probably at the bottom of my list, but there is still a lot I like about that one.

Wife and I saw OUATIH today. I loved it and I can’t wait to see it again. I probably won’t make it back to the theater but I’ll watch it again. I enjoyed all the tv ads/jingles. That goddamn OG Taco Bell and just the entire aesthetic of the movie. I loved watching scenes of a movie while watching a movie.
I loved the Antonio Margheriti Easter egg.
I haven’t ranked it yet but it makes me want to rewatch his other movies and make a list.
Right now Death Proof is at the bottom.

Is the 35mm screening worth it? The Hateful Eight made sense to see in analogue, plus it was an extended cut, but there's no special difference between formats in this case right?

I watched half last night before calling it a night. Man, something truly spectacular is going to have to happen soon to change my opinion on this one, it is slow as fuck. Even if it does come good, worst pacing in one of his movies hands down.

Haha it definitely does escalate, there's a very tense sequence where the plot elements kind of implode into each other. Based on your comment even that might not be the payout you're looking for though.

We're getting to the point where I'll watch just about anything that comes through A24. I haven't loved everything they've done, but it's all worth a look.
Speaking of, has The Last Black Man in San Francisco not come up yet in this thread? My wife and I talked about that movie for like 3 days straight after we saw it.

Back