Movies

@Ericj32 did you get to see yr movie?
I did! Thank you for confirming the time zone! Luckily the movie was only 95 mins long. I missed the live chat and q+a though because I didn’t start watching right at 3pm. I tried to block off my calendar for tomorrow afternoon at work so I can tune in live for “The World to Come” but we’ll see.

Night of The Kings was really cool to look at and it really felt like you were there with them and it was easy to get swept up in the story-telling but the ending kind of lost me and it felt a little too messy plotwise for me.

How was your weekend? What are your faves so far?

I did! Thank you for confirming the time zone! Luckily the movie was only 95 mins long. I missed the live chat and q+a though because I didn’t start watching right at 3pm. I tried to block off my calendar for tomorrow afternoon at work so I can tune in live for “The World to Come” but we’ll see.

Night of The Kings was really cool to look at and it really felt like you were there with them and it was easy to get swept up in the story-telling but the ending kind of lost me and it felt a little too messy plotwise for me.

How was your weekend? What are your faves so far?
You can still watch the q&a after the fact, if you want, since they post them on the film's info age after the showing.

My festival weekend was intense (11 movies from Thurs. thru Sunday), but really good . My top 3 would be Flee, On the Count of Three and CODA, but I haven't seen anything I didn't at least enjoy.

I still have tickets for First Date and We're All Going To The World's Fair for tomorrow.

Y'all, Pulse (Kairo is the Japanese title) is SO GOOD. It feels extremely 2020 despite being made in 2001. I thought it was going to be a standard J-horror ghost movie and it was certainly much more than that.

Y'all, Pulse (Kairo is the Japanese title) is SO GOOD. It feels extremely 2020 despite being made in 2001. I thought it was going to be a standard J-horror ghost movie and it was certainly much more than that.
I remember seeing this back when it first came out! Creepy as hell.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa is one of my favorite directors. Pulse is easily my favorite movie of his. It's second only to Ju-on in all of J-horror for me.

Sundance is in the books. Here's my off the cuff ranking of films seen (letterboxd scores in parentheses):

1. Flee (4.5)
2. On the Count of Three (4)
3. CODA (4)
4. We're All Going To The World's Fair (4)
5. Passing (4)
6. Together Together (3.5)
7. El Planeta (3.5)
8. How It Ends (3.5)
9. Prisoners of the Ghostland (3.5)
10. Cryptozoo (3.5)
11. John and the Hole (3.5)
12. First Date (3.5)
13. In The Earth (3)
14. Censor (3)

Would love for all these films to get picked up and find an audience beyond the festival.

Last edited:
Golden Globes gonna Golden Globe

Some good picks in the noms this year, but the YIKES and snubs outweigh them, moreso than usual this year.

Some good picks in the noms this year, but the YIKES and snubs outweigh them, moreso than usual this year.

Does Da 5 Bloods not qualify for this years GG? Not having Delroy Lindo nominated makes no sense. Also, didn't Ratcheted and Emily in Paris get panned by critics (I didn’t watch either, so no idea how good/deserving they are)

Does Da 5 Bloods not qualify for this years GG? Not having Delroy Lindo nominated makes no sense. Also, didn't Ratcheted and Emily in Paris get panned by critics (I didn’t watch either, so no idea how good/deserving they are)
Does Spike Lee's assignment as ambassador for the Globes this year disqualify his film? That's the only logical reason I can think of, given other stuff that ended up illogically getting nominated.

Sia's poorly reviewed and controversial autism film getting multiple nominations is weird.

Not one of the major black films (Judas and the black messiah, da 5 bloods, one night in miami, ma raney) were nominated for best picture. Apart from the Lindo snub, none of the actors from Minari made it in either. Ratched, The Prom (I'm convinced that at the 2032 Golden Globes, Ryan Murphy's Sarah Paulson farts on-screen for 40 minutes will be nominated like 7 times) and Emily in Paris racking up noms is pretty bad.

But Sia's wildly offensive film about autism receiving a nom for best picture is next level insane, even for the Globes.

Last edited:

Does Spike Lee's assignment as ambassador for the Globes this year disqualify his film? That's the only logical reason I can think of, given other stuff that ended up illogically getting nominated.

Sia's poorly reviewed and controversial autism film getting multiple nominations is weird.
Not one of the major black films (Judas and the black messiah, da 5 bloods, one night in miami, ma raney) were nominated for best picture. Apart from the Lindo snub, none of the actors from Minari made it in either. Ratched, The Prom (I'm convinced that at the 2032 Golden Globes, Ryan Murphy's Sarah Paulson farts on-screen for 40 minutes will be nominated like 7 times) and Emily in Paris racking up noms is pretty bad.

But Sia's wildly offensive film about autism receiving a nom for best picture is next level insane, even for the Globes.
I wonder if the dearth of theatrical releases as well as quarantining changing the social aspects of media consumption have had an effect on the nominations. The HFPA already seems pretty off-base and insular; even though you can get a lot of opinions online, I'd bet the lack of box office data and literal word-of-mouth has their compasses all aspin.

Did you guys love Da 5 Bloods? I haven't seen it partly because I saw a lot of (non-professional) reviews who were confused about how positive the critic scores were as they though it was one of Spike Lee's worst films.

Did you guys love Da 5 Bloods? I haven't seen it partly because I saw a lot of (non-professional) reviews who were confused about how positive the critic scores were as they though it was one of Spike Lee's worst films.
I liked it. I thought it was messy, but overall pretty good. Delroy Lindo was by far the best part.

Back