Movies

I've been considering replacing our current TV with a 4K. I just wish there was a way I could see a 4K TV next to my already really nice not 4K TV to see if I even care.
Spoiler alert: you won't (unless you have like a private theater room). You have to sit really close or have it be really big for the eyes to notice the difference (this is not subject to opinion, it's fact).

Yeah, depends very much on your screen size and viewing distance.

Of course, that's completely ignoring the other benefits of a 4K TV vs an older TV, namely HDR. That's something you'll notice wherever you sit.

What is this Greenland movie I am seeing a bunch of promo for? Is it any good / worth checking out?

Looks like its in early release while in theaters via most digital stores, like iTunes.

Well...this is going back. Lucily I can return it to the local Best Buy. I'll take a look at what they have in stock.

These aren't the only dots on the screen, just the ones right near the middle of the screen.

View attachment 87619

Some settings can tweak it enough so it's not as noticeable, but I still know they're there and can't not see them

TV is boxed up and ready to return to Best Buy in 4 hours.

20210211_071122.jpg

I'd really love to be able to wall mount the new TV, but I at least know they used metal studs on that corner thing (why is there this corner thing on the basement wall ??🤷‍♂️) - because I tried to mount my other TV there when we moved in.

I think I'm gonna go with a Vizio OLED this time around. Need to stay right around the $1000 price point. Plus they have it in stock - and I can't use a TV with wide spaced feet..so this one seems to be the best for all 3 of those stipulations.

It also got decent ratings on rtings.

A Hard Day’s Night remains a total joy, absolutely suffused with life.

The Criterion blu ray is a great release.

Knives Out! ❤️

I watched this with the other TV last night...and then again today with the new TV. The 4K blu ray has 2 commentaries, so I still have to watch it again to hear the last one.

But I also watched the first episode of Our Planet on Netflix. It looked nice in HD, but really good in 4K. Gonna have to watch the rest of the episodes soon.

It's gonna be a bit stormy here in the PNW the next few days, so at least I'll be home with some movies and music.

Decided to fire up Lincoln on HBO Max this fine Presidents Day. I forget how stacked this cast is. Lincoln might be my favorite Spielberg movie (obviously there is some stiff competition). It’s such a well done film. I love Daniel Day-Lewis.

Decided to fire up Lincoln on HBO Max this fine Presidents Day. I forget how stacked this cast is. Lincoln might be my favorite Spielberg movie (obviously there is some stiff competition). It’s such a well done film. I love Daniel Day-Lewis.
The movie goes on about 5 minutes past its perfect ending shot, in classic latter day Spielberg fashion, but it is a lovely film.

I never watched much of MASH on TV. I didn't realize it was a movie first. It came on today at work.

I'm puzzled about what the film is trying to have me feel toward the protagonists (I guess it's an ensemble cast, but I'd say that Hawkeye, Trapper, and Duke are who the audience is meant to connect with).

I get that their carefree attitude is supposed to work in contrast to Maj Houlihan's and Burns' straight-laced character. But, honestly, they're dickish bullies.

I get the rebellious attitudes but it comes at the expense at those around them. The microphoned sex scene was whatever - I mean, definitely an invasion of privacy but came off more as boyish immaturity.

But the shower scene where they expose Maj Houlihan to an audience and completely humiliate her in such an intimate manner....is the audience still meant to root for them as the heroes of the story?

Back