Movies

Did you guys love Da 5 Bloods? I haven't seen it partly because I saw a lot of (non-professional) reviews who were confused about how positive the critic scores were as they though it was one of Spike Lee's worst films.
I did not enjoy it. Some great performances but the movie overall was a big mess to me.

Anyone watched Ear Wig and the Witch? I am a big Studio Ghibli fan and am curious about it, but I'm not wild about the computer animation look of it...

Target is having their Buy 2, Get 1 free sale right now, and they have a fair amount of Criterion collection blu-rays. They also have the Fellini and Bergman box sets, and other things like the Before trilogy.

For anyone who's not familiar with this Target sale, it seems to happen once every few months, and you can actually just buy 3 copies of the same thing and then IMMEDIATELY cancel two of the copies, to still get 30% (without having to find 3 things to buy). This is handy if, for a completely hypothetical example that I definitely did not shell out for, you are interested in owning 39 Ingmar Bergman films on bluray and would rather pay $116.54 for the criterion set than pay $175 for it.

I understand why it is polarizing (especially among critics because they are a target of the film's many tangents), but put me in the camp that thinks Malcom & Marie is a minor masterpiece.

Just know that you are signing up for two hours of two people being utterly vicious to each other in a way that brings to mind Blue Valentine-- but without that film's moments of warmth.

And like that film, the acting, cinematography, soundtrack and dialogue are all top notch and it should serve as a launching point for numerous careers-- even if you hate experience of enduring two people intentionally traumatize each other.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation on the best version of “Apocalypse Now?” I’ve seen the steelbox and the 4K version around, and there are so many versions of this movie, but would love to hear from anyone if they have a copy they like

It is but I just think of what I spend at the theater and it's easy to pay. There's also two of us watching which makes it easier to justify too.
I feel like the movie theater has better screen and sound and popcorn than my apartment though. But I guess I don't have to put on pants at home. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Worth it, and then some.
I know. I bought a ticket for next Thursday because what else am I going to be doing that night.

Are they doing a live Q+A with the cast every single night? It says "Exclusive Q+A with the cast and crew after the film" next to each of the 14 screenings options. Seems like a lot.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best version of “Apocalypse Now?” I’ve seen the steelbox and the 4K version around, and there are so many versions of this movie, but would love to hear from anyone if they have a copy they like
The 4K Restoration comes with the original cut, Redux, and Final Cut, so...

My feeling is you should watch the theatrical cut first. That was what made it an "important film", regardless of initial intents. Then maybe wade into the other cuts and form your own opinion later.

I watched the theatrical cut for the first time during my '200 movies of COVID' phase and it's easily a top tier movie of what we've watched.

My feeling is you should watch the theatrical cut first. That was what made it an "important film", regardless of initial intents. Then maybe wade into the other cuts and form your own opinion later.

I watched the theatrical cut for the first time during my '200 movies of COVID' phase and it's easily a top tier movie of what we've watched.
I agree that’s the right approach. I’ve actually seen all the cuts a few times. But I got a blu ray player over break and wanted to get some of my favorite movies to own.

funny enough, my friends dad showed it to me when I was 12 because I had a Doors shirt on. Loved it then and it is still one of my favorite movies

Agree ..I have to confess to falling asleep at the cinema for the redux cut ..it was just too long

So I'm finally getting a 4K TV.

Ordered one through Best Buy the other night. Going with a Samsung again. It's supposed to be here later today, but well see...it shipped from Atlanta and is now leaving Chicago.

The only buyers remorse I have so far is that it doesn't have Dolby Vision - but HDR10+ is probably just fine for me. I don't need anything bigger than a 50" down here in the basement anyway right now but when I do upgrade again, I'll make sure it has more bells and whistles.

I've been watching what 4K blu rays I have since I bought the 4K LG player a few months back...but been waiting to watch a few movies that need that resolution - like Tenet and the 4K Directors Cut of Midsommer.

So I'm finally getting a 4K TV.

Ordered one through Best Buy the other night. Going with a Samsung again. It's supposed to be here later today, but well see...it shipped from Atlanta and is now leaving Chicago.

The only buyers remorse I have so far is that it doesn't have Dolby Vision - but HDR10+ is probably just fine for me. I don't need anything bigger than a 50" down here in the basement anyway right now but when I do upgrade again, I'll make sure it has more bells and whistles.

I've been watching what 4K blu rays I have since I bought the 4K LG player a few months back...but been waiting to watch a few movies that need that resolution - like Tenet and the 4K Directors Cut of Midsommer.
I've been considering replacing our current TV with a 4K. I just wish there was a way I could see a 4K TV next to my already really nice not 4K TV to see if I even care.

Back