MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

That’s actually a good combination. The Lounge will tone down a bright cartridge like the 2m Red or Bronze. With a neutral or warm cartridge though, it sounds like someone removed the tweeters.
I use a Nag MP-200, which is not a bright or analytical cart by any means, and my tweeters are certainly present. It may not have sounded good to you in your system, but for many others it does. Out of dozens of reviews I have read of the Lounge, yours is the only one I've seen bash it. YMMV is an apt caveat for this hobby. ;)

Last edited:
I use a Nag MP-200, which is not a bright or analytical cart by any means, and my tweeters are certainly present. It may not have sounded good to you in your system, but for many others it does. Out of dozens of reviews I have read of the Lounge, yours is the only one I've seen bash it. YMMV is an apt caveat for this hobby. ;)
Very true. If it works for you and you dig it, cool. I still contend there are better choices. But of course YMMV. 😉

I went ahead and bought the Darlington MM-6 and am excited! Now I'm focused on a new pair of speakers. Any thoughts for someone who plays mostly rock, punk, indie, emo? I need something with a good, clear mid-range. I'm looking at KEF LS50 Meta or B&W 603 floor standers. Not sure if floor standing speakers would be good for a small (10' x 14') room.

I went ahead and bought the Darlington MM-6 and am excited! Now I'm focused on a new pair of speakers. Any thoughts for someone who plays mostly rock, punk, indie, emo? I need something with a good, clear mid-range. I'm looking at KEF LS50 Meta or B&W 603 floor standers. Not sure if floor standing speakers would be good for a small (10' x 14') room.
Floorstanders can work in a small room if you have enough space for their footprint and the back walls/corner. My floorstanders are set up in an 11x14 room. In the price range of those KEFs and B&Ws is a forum fave, the Wharfedale Lintons.

EDIT: I see now there's a series 2 for the 603 speakers.

Last edited:
The B&W 603 appears to be discontinued. Floorstanders can work in a small room if you have enough space for their footprint and the back walls/corner. My floorstanders are set up in an 11x14 room. In the price range of those KEFs is a forum fave, the Wharfedale Lintons.
I currently have the Wharfedale Diamond 220s and like their sound, they just lack some clarity in the 1k-2k range. I'll look into the Lintons. Thanks!

I've been running the LS50 Metas with my Studiodeck for about a year now and I play mostly the same genres you listed. I don't think they get much love around here but I have been very pleased with them so far and would recommend them without hesitation.

The Lintons are of course great to, and I considered them but just didn't have the space for them.

Well guys, as I eluded to the other day, I decided to pull the trigger on an Ultradeck, and after auditioning it today, I’m going to send it back. This is my second go round with MoFi - I auditioned a Studiodeck years ago for a lengthy period before deciding it wasn’t quite the table for me. Since I’ve made some significant upgrades to my system, I wanted to see where it would stack up, especially it being a better table on paper than what I’ve currently got and it getting universally rave reviews, and it just comes down to the MoFi deck sound not being for me. Damn nice tracker, though. And gosh it looks good!

Now I’m rethinking @Ed Selley ’s hypothetical from the other thread, maybe I’d spend the loot on records! 😂

Well guys, as I eluded to the other day, I decided to pull the trigger on an Ultradeck, and after auditioning it today, I’m going to send it back. This is my second go round with MoFi - I auditioned a Studiodeck years ago for a lengthy period before deciding it wasn’t quite the table for me. Since I’ve made some significant upgrades to my system, I wanted to see where it would stack up, especially it being a better table on paper than what I’ve currently got and it getting universally rave reviews, and it just comes down to the MoFi deck sound not being for me. Damn nice tracker, though. And gosh it looks good!

Now I’m rethinking @Ed Selley ’s hypothetical from the other thread, maybe I’d spend the loot on records! 😂
Sorry it wasn’t to your liking! Looking forward to hearing what you eventually end up with other.

Sorry it wasn’t to your liking! Looking forward to hearing what you eventually end up with other.
Going to stay put with my Cliffwood for now. I’m largely very happy with it, and I just had some house expenses pop up, so it may be a blessing in disguise after all. I had that itch of, what will a turntable twice the price do in my system, (at least before VPI’s recent big price hike) and I’ve sufficiently satisfied that curiosity… for today!

Very true. If it works for you and you dig it, cool. I still contend there are better choices. But of course YMMV. 😉
Darn this hobby... I have been happy with the performance of my Lounge, however this forum has got me looking at Darlington Labs and it does sound intriguing, as a phono stage likely is the next upgrade I would make. I'm bummed I missed out on the Darlington tour.

Last edited:
Darn this hobby... I have been happy with the performance of my Lounge, but this forum has got me looking at Darlington Labs and it does sound intriguing. ;) I'm bummed I missed out on the Darlington tour.
I don’t remember much of the technical aspect of the Lounge other than it uses an IC originally intended for video.

And there’s nothing inherently wrong with using an IC or two: Sutherland has successfully implemented them for years. But they aren’t the $4 ICs typically used- theirs are $25-50 each.

I don’t remember much of the technical aspect of the Lounge other than it uses an IC originally intended for video.

And there’s nothing inherently wrong with using an IC or two: Sutherland has successfully implemented them for years. But they aren’t the $4 ICs typically used- theirs are $25-50 each.
I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding a Darlington Labs MM-6 or 7 versus a used Sutherland (probably KC vibe). (just trying to get input for if/when I do upgrade my phono stage).

Last edited:
On another note... the cueing on my StudioDeck lifts up slightly at an angle rather than straight up. so that when I lower back it starts playing before where I raised it. Anyone know if that can be adjusted?

I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding a Darlington Labs MM-6 or 7 versus a used Sutherland (probably KC vibe).
I’ve heard the MM-6 at length and think it’s amazing. If the budget allows, I’d go MM-7 although I’ve not heard one yet. I should have one here for evaluation this month.

I really didn’t love the Vibe. I traded up for an Insight which is what I expected the Vibe to sound like. I happily kept that for a couple of years until I got a deal on the Duo.

On another note... the cueing on my StudioDeck lifts up slightly at an angle rather than straight up. so that when I lower back it starts playing before where I raised it. Anyone know if that can be adjusted?
Mine also does this, I think it's just a quirk of the mechanism.

Back