MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Interesting about the Darlington, looks like a good option. I don’t think I’ll ever need the mono option, but I might plunge for the CMC-850 plugs if the benefit is clear. Any thoughts?

If you read the Darlington Labs FAQ page, there's a section that describe the available output jack options and associated benefits. The page itself contains quite a bit of information that you might find helpful with your research.

In short, with regard to the genuine CMC-850: "They have the best finish characteristics, with very tight mechanical tolerances and the best “feel”, and the most consistent insertion force across all four jacks."

It’s pretty laid back, that is a hilarious synopsis, @HiFi Guy! Legit laughed out loud. I actually loved it with an Ort 2M Red because it mellowed out the brash so much!
That’s actually a good combination. The Lounge will tone down a bright cartridge like the 2m Red or Bronze. With a neutral or warm cartridge though, it sounds like someone removed the tweeters.

That’s actually a good combination. The Lounge will tone down a bright cartridge like the 2m Red or Bronze. With a neutral or warm cartridge though, it sounds like someone removed the tweeters.
Yeah, it was an Orbit with a 2M Red. Bright on bright. The Lounge really restored the balance. I could totally see a MoFi deck with a Grado for example being a real mismatch.

Does anyone’s cue level make a little click sound when you lift it after a record is over? Never does it when lowering the level only on the up and usually only after two, three sides have been played. Maybe needs fluid? Not sure..

Does anyone’s cue level make a little click sound when you lift it after a record is over? Never does it when lowering the level only on the up and usually only after two, three sides have been played. Maybe needs fluid? Not sure..
No

Any chance it is static electricity? I’ve had that happen a couple times recently with the colder weather.

Any chance it is static electricity? I’ve had that happen a couple times recently with the colder weather.
Don’t think so, been happening since the summer but it doesn’t get cold here anyways. Pretty sure I’m hearing and maybe even feeling the slight click on the level mechanism itself, not the record or through the speakers.

I have this on my StudioDeck and have asked this thread previously. The general consensus was that the cue lever may need lubricant. I don't know how to add it, and have been too lazy to contact MoFi about it...

I have this on my StudioDeck and have asked this thread previously. The general consensus was that the cue lever may need lubricant. I don't know how to add it, and have been too lazy to contact MoFi about it...
I reached out to my contact person and they don't believe there is an actual way of lubricating the cue lever, but they're going to reach out to the folks in Ann Arbor to see if they can help with an answer to the problem.

I haven't noticed anything like this, but will listen out for it.

Hi, everyone. First post. Picked up my new Ultratracker+ M, and like everyone else, I'm very impressed with this turntable. This is my first non-automatic, non-semi-automatic turntable in a very long time, and I have a question that may come down to personal preference. When the tone arm is in the resting position, the platter keeps spinning unless you press the on/off button. When you put on an album or flip it, do you turn off the turntable and then change the album, or do you leave it spinning? Thanks.

Turntable: Mofi Ultradeck / Super Heavyweight
Cartridge: Mastertracker
Amp: Luxman L-507uXII
Phono: Luxman Onboard (MM/MC)
Speakers: Focal Aria 936
Cables: Stock Cardas
Speaker Cable: Cardas Clear Sky

Hi, everyone. First post. Picked up my new Ultratracker+ M, and like everyone else, I'm very impressed with this turntable. This is my first non-automatic, non-semi-automatic turntable in a very long time, and I have a question that may come down to personal preference. When the tone arm is in the resting position, the platter keeps spinning unless you press the on/off button. When you put on an album or flip it, do you turn off the turntable and then change the album, or do you leave it spinning? Thanks.

I always stop and start when it’s time to flip. However, I have flipped a record without starting and stopping when testing a post vinyl flattening record. Maybe it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to start doing the same for standard listens. Less wear and tear on the button and motor? I don’t think there would be an issue the underside getting scuffed from the platter when the record is picked up while in rotation.

Always stop before any changes. I don’t have the coordination to swap in motion 😅. Glad you’re enjoying the TT 😀

I always stop and start when it’s time to flip. However, I have flipped a record without starting and stopping when testing a post vinyl flattening record. Maybe it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to start doing the same for standard listens. Less wear and tear on the button and motor? I don’t think there would be an issue the underside getting scuffed from the platter when the record is picked up while in rotation.
I flip when the motor is running all the time. I’ve never had any scuffing issues. I also give the platter a little bit of a manual spin before hitting the button when I start listening each time. I heard somewhere that it’s better for the band/motor and has less wear and tear but that could be made up. I still got in the habit of doing it anyway haha

I don’t actually think there is an issue with hot swapping (leaving it running), but my mind can’t get past the theoretical friction of putting a still record onto a moving surface. Logically I really doubt it’s an issue, but I just don’t like it.

On the counter, a motor theoretically could last longer with fewer start/stops. So that’s an equally good justification for hot swaps.

I don’t actually think there is an issue with hot swapping (leaving it running), but my mind can’t get past the theoretical friction of putting a still record onto a moving surface. Logically I really doubt it’s an issue, but I just don’t like it.

On the counter, a motor theoretically could last longer with fewer start/stops. So that’s an equally good justification for hot swaps.
I have gotten into the habit of flipping the P6 while still running. I feel like I avoid any damage because of the felt mat. I would have been concerned doing it with the delrin platter, and I don't do it with the rubber mat on my vintage table either..

Back