MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Mine counts down -db from 100-1.. not sure I noticed that before..

Pics show where digital (top) and Vinyl dial is at roughly the same listening level.
F561ED8D-5038-45CA-9225-F181514ADE77.jpeg

Mine counts down -db from 100-1.. not sure I noticed that before..

Pics show where digital (top) and Vinyl dial is at roughly the same listening level.
View attachment 113718
They count in negative db steps down because it's a representation of volume attenuation/limiting, rather than volume (um, what's the opposite word of attenuation?), right? The lower the number, the less limiting and therefore the louder it is.

Curious on other's thoughts about the Mofi RCA cable included with our tables. I'm not a cable snob, but it's been my experience that "included cables" were not so great. I did use the Mofi cable from the table to my SUT. My table spent a couple months back at the factory, when it returned they put a new cable and tool kit in the box. I set all the extras aside.

I've been fighting a clipping/distortion issue that I thought was originating in my preamp (JD9). So I have the preamp sitting backwards so I can play with the switches, round and round we go and not getting anywhere. Last night, I figured what the hell, swap out the interconnect between the pre and the amp with the extra Mofi cable. If it's a good enough cable to get the signal from the table to the pre, maybe it's good enough to carry it home to the amp. Holy moly, it hit the spot. Now I'm left wondering if the Mofi cable is that great or my previous cable was that crappy...at some point I choose the previous cable and left it there as I thought it was an improvement over whatever was there earlier.

Curious on other's thoughts about the Mofi RCA cable included with our tables. I'm not a cable snob, but it's been my experience that "included cables" were not so great. I did use the Mofi cable from the table to my SUT. My table spent a couple months back at the factory, when it returned they put a new cable and tool kit in the box. I set all the extras aside.

I've been fighting a clipping/distortion issue that I thought was originating in my preamp (JD9). So I have the preamp sitting backwards so I can play with the switches, round and round we go and not getting anywhere. Last night, I figured what the hell, swap out the interconnect between the pre and the amp with the extra Mofi cable. If it's a good enough cable to get the signal from the table to the pre, maybe it's good enough to carry it home to the amp. Holy moly, it hit the spot. Now I'm left wondering if the Mofi cable is that great or my previous cable was that crappy...at some point I choose the previous cable and left it there as I thought it was an improvement over whatever was there earlier.
The included MoFi RCA cables suck.

After I got my MoFi UD, I was getting a low level buzz that was easily heard through headphones. I replaced the MoFi RCAs with Blue Jeans LC1s and the buzz vanished.

The included MoFi RCA cables suck.

After I got my MoFi UD, I was getting a low level buzz that was easily heard through headphones. I replaced the MoFi RCAs with Blue Jeans LC1s and the buzz vanished.
That said, imagine how bad that interconnect was that I was using! I can't figure out where I got the offending cable, I really need to start logging purchases/acquisitions.

Sorry I haven't read this thread in detail. I have not been on the N&G forums for a while, but figured y'all were the ones to ask :)

I just bought a MoFi Ultradeck with the Mastertracker pre-installed. There is a recurring whoosh sound coming from the table. If I put my ear close, I can hear it but it's faint. When playing a record, it transfers to the speakers and is noticeably more audible. It seems related to the rotation.

Is this normal? Does it go away? Should I call music direct for a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I haven't read this thread in detail. I have not been on the N&G forums for a while, but figured y'all were the ones to ask :)

I just bought a MoFi Ultradeck with the Mastertracker pre-installed. There is a recurring whoosh sound coming from the table. If I put my ear close, I can hear it but it's faint. When playing a record, it transfers to the speakers and is noticeably more audible. It seems related to the rotation.

Is this normal? Does it go away? Should I call music direct for a replacement?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like not enough lube on the bearing. Mine was like that. I’d definitely call.

A few weeks ago, I posted about a broken dampening o-ring on my Ultradeck. Due to my own stupidity, I stripped the grub screw that holds the headshell in place.

I just wanted to follow up in case this info is helpful for anyone else. After being in contact with MoFi and trying unsuccessfully to do it myself, I took it in to a shop (Audio Element) to see if they could fix it. They got in touch with MoFi and my only option was to have it sent back to MoFi and have the tonearm replaced for $299 (plus shipping to/from). MoFi said if I left the o-ring off, I wouldn't be able to hear any differences and that it's mostly there for aesthetics (to fill in that gap).

I didn't want to ship it to/from there and also didn't think it was worth it (though I thought the tonearm would cost more).

Hope this helps someone in the future (or at the very least, remind people to be very careful about that grub screw)!

A few weeks ago, I posted about a broken dampening o-ring on my Ultradeck. Due to my own stupidity, I stripped the grub screw that holds the headshell in place.

I just wanted to follow up in case this info is helpful for anyone else. After being in contact with MoFi and trying unsuccessfully to do it myself, I took it in to a shop (Audio Element) to see if they could fix it. They got in touch with MoFi and my only option was to have it sent back to MoFi and have the tonearm replaced for $299 (plus shipping to/from). MoFi said if I left the o-ring off, I wouldn't be able to hear any differences and that it's mostly there for aesthetics (to fill in that gap).

I didn't want to ship it to/from there and also didn't think it was worth it (though I thought the tonearm would cost more).

Hope this helps someone in the future (or at the very least, remind people to be very careful about that grub screw)!
Thank you for the follow up. This is helpful info. And yes! You have to be really careful with that grub screw! I got my Ultradeck last year. While setting it up, I decided I’d fine tune azimuth slightly, so backed the grub screw out and made the adjustments. After retightening it I decided it may be just a little too tight, so tried to back it out slightly, but found I had tightened it just a little too much. The head stripped as I tried to loosen it. It’s a very soft screw and strips easily. I’ve not found a way to remove it either. Pretty bummed that the only option is to replace the tone arm. IMO using such a small hex screw is a bad design. I don’t think a standard slotted screw like on eyeglasses would have stripped so easily. Fortunately, a fosgometer showed the alignment was spot on, so hopefully my next cartridge won’t need any further adjustment. By the way, I went through the same conversations with MoFi a couple of months ago. The guy I spoke with said the same thing happened to him on his table.

Thank you for the follow up. This is helpful info. And yes! You have to be really careful with that grub screw! I got my Ultradeck last year. While setting it up, I decided I’d fine tune azimuth slightly, so backed the grub screw out and made the adjustments. After retightening it I decided it may be just a little too tight, so tried to back it out slightly, but found I had tightened it just a little too much. The head stripped as I tried to loosen it. It’s a very soft screw and strips easily. I’ve not found a way to remove it either. Pretty bummed that the only option is to replace the tone arm. IMO using such a small hex screw is a bad design. I don’t think a standard slotted screw like on eyeglasses would have stripped so easily. Fortunately, a fosgometer showed the alignment was spot on, so hopefully my next cartridge won’t need any further adjustment. By the way, I went through the same conversations with MoFi a couple of months ago. The guy I spoke with said the same thing happened to him on his table.
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience...gives me some comfort knowing I'm not the only one. That's interesting that you reached out to them and had a similar conversation with them. The person I spoke with said it was the first he'd heard of such a thing. I was a little taken aback by that.

I agree, I think the grub screw's too small and/or the metal's too soft. I feel like I'm above-average in being able to work on stuff....

I love my Ultradeck but I can't say it's been completely hassle-free...I had an issue where the table would turn off by itself. They sent me a new button since they said it was an easy fix to replace the button, but I never got around to installing it.

This last issue, I was so close to just throwing in the towel and giving up on vinyl, but I love it too much and feel like these small concessions are just part of the hobby.

Glad yours checked out though...I think mine seems to be fine too as far as the azimuth goes. I see you're on a Hana ML...that's my next planned upgrade once my Hana SL wears out.

Wow, thanks for sharing your experience...gives me some comfort knowing I'm not the only one. That's interesting that you reached out to them and had a similar conversation with them. The person I spoke with said it was the first he'd heard of such a thing. I was a little taken aback by that.

I agree, I think the grub screw's too small and/or the metal's too soft. I feel like I'm above-average in being able to work on stuff....

I love my Ultradeck but I can't say it's been completely hassle-free...I had an issue where the table would turn off by itself. They sent me a new button since they said it was an easy fix to replace the button, but I never got around to installing it.

This last issue, I was so close to just throwing in the towel and giving up on vinyl, but I love it too much and feel like these small concessions are just part of the hobby.

Glad yours checked out though...I think mine seems to be fine too as far as the azimuth goes. I see you're on a Hana ML...that's my next planned upgrade once my Hana SL wears out.
Weird, I had the same issue once of the table shutting down. I’d press the button and it would start up, but shut off after a few seconds. Did it several times in a row. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it never happened again. Not sure what that was about. Otherwise I really love the Ultradeck.

Yeah, I went from the MasterTracker to the Hana. Absolutely love the ML. I really liked the MasterTracker, but the ML is a very noticeable upgrade. Sounded good from day one, but really started to shine as it approached 100 hours.

Funny, I happened on another of your posts and saw you got your Ultradeck at the same place I got mine. Mikes a good guy.

Does anyone have experience lubricating the arm lift mechanism? When I lift the arm up, I hear a small click from the lift arm piston. I think this needs a bit of lubrication. Any thoughts on what should be used?

Does anyone have experience lubricating the arm lift mechanism? When I lift the arm up, I hear a small click from the lift arm piston. I think this needs a bit of lubrication. Any thoughts on what should be used?

I'd call MoFi about that. They were very responsive when I called them about an issue I had a couple of years ago.

I have not had luck dealing with MoFi. I apparently bought this player when there were in the middle of a warehouse move so they have not been proactive or overly responsive. I'm OK with the situation though.

In general, I am very happy with my StudioDeck with MasterTracker, but acknowledge that is not without its flaws. Then again, the more I learn about mid/high end audio, the more comfortable I am getting with understanding that the hobby is a continual pursuit of the unattainable.

It can be if that's what you let it be ;)
Yeah. The chase is certainly part of the fun, but you can set a "catch" point regarding the equipment and settle into obtaining music. It doesn't HAVE to be an eternal chase for better gear.

Conversely, you can keep chasing equipment to unimaginable spending points... if that's what you allow/want.

EDIT: I'm fiddling with headphones now... but I've set two levels . "I'm happy if this is all I ever get" is the "catch" level. I'm close now. Then I keep one more... If my spending opportunities substantially increase for any reason I have a "one day I might own" level for a few pieces that are possible but not wise for me and not necessary. For me it's speakers & turntable.

Realizing you can top even those, but I think setting a long-term "now" level and and a "one day if level" is the way to go. Everyone's will be different. Then just enjoy.

Last edited:
Back