MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

For those wondering, MoFi told me that a replacement head shell for the Ultradeck is $125 + shipping. I superglued the piece back on yesterday and can't even tell anything was broken. I'll see if it holds up but no reason to think it won't.
WOW, wonder why it's way more than the $39 I was quoted. Regardless, I would've done the same thing with gluing back on.

A few weeks back, I posted about a broken o-ring dampener by the headshell. I received the o-ring and went to remove the grub screw that holds the headshell in place and stripped the little hex screw. 🥴 I reached out to MoFi and they suggested supergluing the hex wrench to the screw. There's not enough surface area to get a tight enough hold.

The grub screw seems to be 1.3mm and all of the stripped screw extractors are for larger screws. Also not too keen on the idea of trying to use a power tool....

They reached out to the factory to see if they had any suggestions, but wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with something similar? I think I might just take it into a shop but wanted to check here first (since the only shop I'd trust is about an 80-mile round trip).

Thanks!

A few weeks back, I posted about a broken o-ring dampener by the headshell. I received the o-ring and went to remove the grub screw that holds the headshell in place and stripped the little hex screw. 🥴 I reached out to MoFi and they suggested supergluing the hex wrench to the screw. There's not enough surface area to get a tight enough hold.

The grub screw seems to be 1.3mm and all of the stripped screw extractors are for larger screws. Also not too keen on the idea of trying to use a power tool....

They reached out to the factory to see if they had any suggestions, but wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with something similar? I think I might just take it into a shop but wanted to check here first (since the only shop I'd trust is about an 80-mile round trip).

Thanks!
I would have said superglue the wrench to the screw as well. Not really sure otherwise! Hope the factory can help!

Gonna test out the Ultradeck with the Jolida JD9. It was configured for the Gold3 prior to this. Any thoughts on how I should change the dip switches to be best suited to the MasterTracker? I haven’t messed with the dip switches yet since @AnthonyI had already set them for the Gold3.

Gonna test out the Ultradeck with the Jolida JD9. It was configured for the Gold3 prior to this. Any thoughts on how I should change the dip switches to be best suited to the MasterTracker? I haven’t messed with the dip switches yet since @AnthonyI had already set them for the Gold3.

I’d use the same settings. It’s a 47k ohm cart the same and has pretty much the same output. (4mV Gold v 3.5mV MoFi).

The 1-8 load switches should be fine they way they are, the MT runs at 47K and the gain should be fine as well.

You might need to look at the settings/manual for the 2 RCA Inputs, one is for a Hight Output and one is for Low Output cartridges, but I can't remember what the values are, just to know.

You might need to look at the settings/manual for the 2 RCA Inputs, one is for a Hight Output and one is for Low Output cartridges, but I can't remember what the values are, just to know.
I've got a JD9 as well. It can be a frustrating beast, it can also be very rewarding when you find the sweet spot. I've been trying to tame mine again after the latest speaker upgrade. I'd try 47k as stated above. For the gain, start high and put on a record you know with combos of slow, airy parts as well as congested, fast passages. I like Us and Them by Pink Floyd. If you get any undesirable noise in the high end, back the gain off.

Jolida told me you can flip the switches on the fly. I turn the amp down and switch the input when I do it, just in case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 9.28.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 9.28.48 AM.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 3
I've got a JD9 as well. It can be a frustrating beast, it can also be very rewarding when you find the sweet spot. I've been trying to tame mine again after the latest speaker upgrade. I'd try 47k as stated above. For the gain, start high and put on a record you know with combos of slow, airy parts as well as congested, fast passages. I like Us and Them by Pink Floyd. If you get any undesirable noise in the high end, back the gain off.

Jolida told me you can flip the switches on the fly. I turn the amp down and switch the input when I do it, just in case.
you answered my next question haha. was going to ask if i need to power things down every time i switch the dip switches. i'll mute my speakers to be safe.

I set it up to come out of the hi output. when it was on low output, i really had to crank up my amp to get it to a good volume. i left the other switches the same. i'll try to test out the different gain settings. thanks!

you answered my next question haha. was going to ask if i need to power things down every time i switch the dip switches. i'll mute my speakers to be safe.

I set it up to come out of the hi output. when it was on low output, i really had to crank up my amp to get it to a good volume. i left the other switches the same. i'll try to test out the different gain settings. thanks!

It’s funny but I always feel my system sounds miles better with the phono giving lower gain and cranking the volume on my amplifier. That said, while my phono is no slouch the power amp really is the star of my system so perhaps that figures 🤷🏻

Last edited:
It’s funny but I always feel my system sounds miles better with the phono giving lower gain and cranking the volume on my amplifier. That said, while my phone is no slouch the power amp really is the star of my system so perhaps that figures 🤷🏻
My experience as well..

It’s funny but I always feel my system sounds miles better with the phono giving lower gain and cranking the volume on my amplifier. That said, while my phone is no slouch the power amp really is the star of my system so perhaps that figures 🤷🏻
yea weirdly with some quick tests, I do think that no gain + low output + cranking up my amp sounds the best so far.

the only worry is that i also have my streaming/DAC setup to the same amp, so i know one day I will go to stream something and it's gonna be REAL loud hah.

yea weirdly with some quick tests, I do think that no gain + low output + cranking up my amp sounds the best so far.

the only worry is that i also have my streaming/DAC setup to the same amp, so i know one day I will go to stream something and it's gonna be REAL loud hah.

Oh yeah totally. I’m not far off line level for my vinyl but if I left it at that for streaming my ears would bleed.

Oh yeah totally. I’m not far off line level for my vinyl but if I left it at that for streaming my ears would bleed.
My max volume with the vinyl setup is around 11 o'clock on the dial.. when I switch to balanced CD/Streaming I barely hit 9 o'clock..

My max volume with the vinyl setup is around 11 o'clock on the dial.. when I switch to balanced CD/Streaming I barely hit 9 o'clock..

Mine is numbers upto 100. 76 is line level and above that is gain (which is kinda scary lol). I’m about 25-30 digital. 54-69 vinyl depending on how it’s cut.

Back