MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I believe that is the case. In fact, I feel like someone else here had a similar issue with a misaligned arm.

Looks like it was @HayesWeighsIn. Based on his post, yes, loosening the VTA screw should also allow you to rotate the whole fixture.
Yes! @MacDonals I had the same issue, @kvetcha is correct in the fix as well. You'll unfortunately have to reset your VTA as a result unless you have the world's steadiest hands!

I'm fully anticipating needing to reset my VTA, but have never done it before. Any tips from the group?

I'm fully anticipating needing to reset my VTA, but have never done it before. Any tips from the group?
Basically what I said earlier - put on a stylus guard, make sure to hold the base as you loosen the retaining screw so it doesn't just slam down, gently adjust the rotation and height. I would get some idea right now of how much you need to adjust your VTA so you're not just shooting in the dark. Once you've made the initial adjustment, put the cart in the groove, see how level you look, and then adjust again as needed.

Thanks for the tips, I fixed it. There were a two adjustments I made:
  1. The entire tone arm housing was loose, so I tightened the screw on the underside of the deck. It was considerably loose.
  2. After popping the stylus guard on (thanks kvetcha), I loosened the VTA screw and the whole arm dropped down as expected. I put the stylus deep into the runout groove and rotated the housing so the lift arm would catch and lift.
  3. Tightened the VTA screw slightly so that I could lift the arm housing back to its original height, then tightened down.
  4. I then noticed that my tonearm was rotated bit too far and slowly rotated it to the right until the end of the level bar JUST reached the tonearm at the end of the runout groove.
Playing a record now and it sounds fantastic. Just to be sure, I'm going to check the cartridge alignment. According to MoFi they use Dr. Feickert and Loefgren for factory alignment.

Thanks for the tips, I fixed it. There were a two adjustments I made:
  1. The entire tone arm housing was loose, so I tightened the screw on the underside of the deck. It was considerably loose.
  2. After popping the stylus guard on (thanks kvetcha), I loosened the VTA screw and the whole arm dropped down as expected. I put the stylus deep into the runout groove and rotated the housing so the lift arm would catch and lift.
  3. Tightened the VTA screw slightly so that I could lift the arm housing back to its original height, then tightened down.
  4. I then noticed that my tonearm was rotated bit too far and slowly rotated it to the right until the end of the level bar JUST reached the tonearm at the end of the runout groove.
Playing a record now and it sounds fantastic. Just to be sure, I'm going to check the cartridge alignment. According to MoFi they use Dr. Feickert and Loefgren for factory alignment.
Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well. I hope the table finally performs like you'd hoped.

Regarding alignment, I use a GeoDisc and it's never failed me.

I been away for awhile and have some catching up to do. Recently bought some new speakers and listening a lot more. Im sure you guys know when you add in something new, things can go sideways real quick. I've been trying to dial in speaker placement, move them in, out toe in, toe out, wider, closer, etc... My room is a challenge and I thought now is a good time to take a break and make sure my alignment, tracking, etc is dialed in. Back in Feb there was some talk about protractors. Did a quick search and didn't see any new posts about it. Anyone have anything new regarding protractors?

I been away for awhile and have some catching up to do. Recently bought some new speakers and listening a lot more. Im sure you guys know when you add in something new, things can go sideways real quick. I've been trying to dial in speaker placement, move them in, out toe in, toe out, wider, closer, etc... My room is a challenge and I thought now is a good time to take a break and make sure my alignment, tracking, etc is dialed in. Back in Feb there was some talk about protractors. Did a quick search and didn't see any new posts about it. Anyone have anything new regarding protractors?
I'm still team Geodisc. Don't see any reason to change unless I end up with a tonearm that doesn't like Baerwald.

Got a Geo Disc over the weekend. Holy moly, what a difference. When I bought my SD the previous owner gave me a printed protractor. I vaguely recall him saying it was the only one he found to work with the SD. Well the overhang difference between the two was about 1/4" different, the Geo Disc moved the cart back. After using the Geo Disc I now have consistent volume from start to finish and imaging/soundstage improved significantly.

All I need now is a more steady hand removing/replacing the dust cover without bumping the tonearm weight. I have my rack setup on a fireplace hearth and have limited clearance between the table and the mantle. I've bumped the weight a couple times and I guess it's been enough to lower VTF. It's a flexi rack design, I really should just lower the top shelf 1/2" or so.

Got a Geo Disc over the weekend. Holy moly, what a difference. When I bought my SD the previous owner gave me a printed protractor. I vaguely recall him saying it was the only one he found to work with the SD. Well the overhang difference between the two was about 1/4" different, the Geo Disc moved the cart back. After using the Geo Disc I now have consistent volume from start to finish and imaging/soundstage improved significantly.

All I need now is a more steady hand removing/replacing the dust cover without bumping the tonearm weight. I have my rack setup on a fireplace hearth and have limited clearance between the table and the mantle. I've bumped the weight a couple times and I guess it's been enough to lower VTF. It's a flexi rack design, I really should just lower the top shelf 1/2" or so.
1/4", WOW!

Honestly, I would just pull the power and RCA's and take it over to a kitchen table to adjust :)

1/4", WOW!

Honestly, I would just pull the power and RCA's and take it over to a kitchen table to adjust :)
I have plenty of room on top of the rack to adjust and play records. The mantle juts out over the back of the table maybe 2". The only time it interferes with anything is removing/replacing the dust cover. It's a delicate operation of not scratching the cover on top or bumping the tonearm weight on the bottom. I built the rack while the table was back at Mofi, otherwise the top shelf wouldn't have been so high.

I just splurged on one too!!! Can’t wait to see how bad I fucked up the alignment 😂

This is pretty for sure

MoFi_Electronics_Fender_PrecisionDeck_Sunburst_01_Left_High_600x.jpg

This is pretty for sure

MoFi_Electronics_Fender_PrecisionDeck_Sunburst_01_Left_High_600x.jpg
I’m glad this costs a lot because I would be tempted if it wasn’t :)

I’m glad this costs a lot because I would be tempted if it wasn’t
Ditto to that! The Precision Deck looks essentially like an Ultradeck with a sunburst plinth glued on for an extra thousand dollars. You could have an Ultradeck+M for $2500. For an additional $799 US, you could have an actual sunburst Fender Stratocaster (Made in Mexico). The difference from the cost of a Precision Deck would leave enough left over for a few guitar lessons plus a strap. All that said, the Precision Deck still looks stunning.

Back