MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I like things that don't sound like ass. These are dull in my system, but perhaps they will improve. Luckily there easily returned.
I’d probably look at rebuilding your crossovers. That’ll likely make a bigger difference than any cable, and let you hear what the cable is doing. Given the age of your Cornwalls, they are overdue if it hadn’t been done.

I like things that don't sound like ass.
Well, I'm going to respectfully disagree, I have them running through both systems and they do a great job moving the signal to where it needs to be and both systems sound great to me. Dead quiet, well built and reasonably priced.

I’d probably look at rebuilding your crossovers. That’ll likely make a bigger difference than any cable, and let you hear what the cable is doing. Given the age of your Cornwalls, they are overdue if it hadn’t been done.

Preaching to the choir, JEM's are already in. Your recommendations or choices don't work for everyone.

Don't recall anyone ever saying they did or would...........doesn't mean you gotta be snarky about it. Not to mention, @HiFi Guy's given more solid advice around here and before here to enough people to have his opinion valued.
No worries. It came off wrong. Mad respect to you both.

I recently replaced my longtime Thorens TD-166 mkll with a StudioDeck, and though the Thorens has served me well through the years, the StudioDeck is a distinct step up. I am very pleased with it, and glad to see such a great owners forum!

Turntable: StudioDeck
Cartridge: Nagaoka MP-150
Phono: Lounge LCR mklll
Amp: Raven Blackhawk
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-33
Cables: Signal Cable Analog Two/ Morrow MA-1
Speaker Cables: Audioquest Rocket 11
Welcome!

what is the common opinion on the master and ultratracker.. or is it better to just get one of them and then get another cartridge like the hana series (only thought about this after reading TAS's bargains of the year )?

what is the common opinion on the master and ultratracker.. or is it better to just get one of them and then get another cartridge like the hana series (only thought about this after reading TAS's bargains of the year )?
I’m very pleased with my MT but I am unsure if I’ll stick with it when replacement time comes.

I’m very pleased with my MT but I am unsure if I’ll stick with it when replacement time comes.
Mostly because it's priority number 4 or 3 on my upgrade paths that the next turntable I get will probably be a studiodeck or ultradeck unless someone convinces me the rega or project is a good bargain in the US.. the issue is cartridge, in theory is if the ultratracker is good enough I'll go with that as i don't need something as semi overkill as a mastertracker, or I could save the 300-400 (most likely 400 because though the ultradeck is better is might be more taxing) and figure out a preamp or step up for MC and get a hana

(though a jump from a 500 dollar turntable to an almost 2000 dollar combination is probably too fast.. brain is not good at the journey)

Last edited:
Mostly because it's priority number 4 or 3 on my upgrade paths that the next turntable I get will probably be a studiodeck or ultradeck unless someone convinces me the rega or project is a good bargain in the US.. the issue is cartridge, in theory is if the ultratracker is good enough I'll go with that as i don't need something as semi overkill as a mastertracker, or I could save the 300-400 (most likely 400 because though the ultradeck is better is might be more taxing) and figure out a preamp or step up for MC and get a hana

(though a jump from a 500 dollar turntable to an almost 2000 dollar combination is probably too fast.. brain is not good at the journey)

There were a couple of factors in me choosing the UltraDeck. My main table had broken down twice within 6 months. When it broke down the second time, I had no intention of taking it back to the place that had “fixed” the same issue earlier and the place that I wanted to take it to was closed due to Covid. Couple that with the glowing reviews from the members here and MusicDirect was having a financing promotion, I was all in. It’s the biggest and most likely my final jump with my table.

What cart are you running now?
I'm still running the Ultratracker it came with. I reached out to MoFi today about the trade in program and who to contact in Australia about it. I got a reply from a great rep who clued me in where to go and discussed some concerns I had about pricing over here. I invited him over to this thread. Also felt he was trying to sway me on the upgrading to MasterTracker but I got to say that I'm looking real close at the Hana after reading @HiFi Guy 's review

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a new joiner. I got the Mofi Ultradeck + M 2 months ago, and so far have been very happy with it. I do have a question about the phono cable that comes with the table.

When I first got my Ultradeck, I didn't even bother with the cable that came with the table. I just used a Zu Audio phono cable that I bought for my previous turntable, which was a Pro-ject Classic. It's not their top of the line cable and it costed me $200+. Anyway I did like the sound the Zu Audio cable so I thought I would continue using it with my new Ultradeck.

A couple of days ago, I decided to try out the mofi cable that came with the turntable. Man, I was in for a pleasant surprise. I really like the sound of the mofi cable. It's a little bit warmer than the Zu Audio, and much better imaging. Details wise, I have not been able to tell if it is better or worse than my Zu Audio cable. Like many "audiophiles" out there, my first reaction usually is to discount the included cables when it comes to new audio component, and favor more expensive 3rd party cables.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many people here share my opinion of the included mofi cable? or if you don't like it, what cable did you replace that with?

Thanks very much.

Hi, I'm a new joiner. I got the Mofi Ultradeck + M 2 months ago, and so far have been very happy with it. I do have a question about the phono cable that comes with the table.

When I first got my Ultradeck, I didn't even bother with the cable that came with the table. I just used a Zu Audio phono cable that I bought for my previous turntable, which was a Pro-ject Classic. It's not their top of the line cable and it costed me $200+. Anyway I did like the sound the Zu Audio cable so I thought I would continue using it with my new Ultradeck.

A couple of days ago, I decided to try out the mofi cable that came with the turntable. Man, I was in for a pleasant surprise. I really like the sound of the mofi cable. It's a little bit warmer than the Zu Audio, and much better imaging. Details wise, I have not been able to tell if it is better or worse than my Zu Audio cable. Like many "audiophiles" out there, my first reaction usually is to discount the included cables when it comes to new audio component, and favor more expensive 3rd party cables.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many people here share my opinion of the included mofi cable? or if you don't like it, what cable did you replace that with?

Thanks very much.
Mine is very early production. I believe they’ve upgraded the RCA cable since I got mine.

Mine is very early production. I believe they’ve upgraded the RCA cable since I got mine.
Thanks. Actually now I'm curious how new my UltraDeck is. I got it from Crutchfield and wonder if they sell a lot of these, and how old their stock is. Maybe I should have purchased it from Music Direct. Anyway, my serial number is 22426. There is no date on the box. Also, I have an orange color belt, and many pictures I've seen of the UltraDeck has yellow color belt. I wonder if the orange color one are the newer ones. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Back