MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I can relate. I moved from the sl 1200mk2 to the UD. UD clearly sounds better, but I do miss the tactile experience and look of the Technics. There's more to this hobby than The Absolute Sound.

1200G with that Luxman? Homina homina! 🥴🤤
It’s the last step for me. Kid starts college next year, with another one following a couple years from now. My buying window will be closed for the foreseeable future, so just doing it. Besides, it should be my last TT this lifetime.

@Slimwhit33 I maxed out the 2 month audition period with a StudioDeck and ultimately decided it wasn’t for me, either. Incredible tracker, but it just seemed to lack some excitement. The presentation felt a bit too dark for me overall - I’m convinced it’s the Delrin. I actually had downgraded at that point to an RT85 for the time being, and while the soundstage didn’t compare, I regained some of that pop that I was looking for. I feel as though I’ve found a happy medium with the Cliffwood, and plan to make the PLX-1000 my second table later this year. I think the GR will be a good move for you!

@Slimwhit33 I maxed out the 2 month audition period with a StudioDeck and ultimately decided it wasn’t for me, either. Incredible tracker, but it just seemed to lack some excitement. The presentation felt a bit too dark for me overall - I’m convinced it’s the Delrin. I actually had downgraded at that point to an RT85 for the time being, and while the soundstage didn’t compare, I regained some of that pop that I was looking for. I feel as though I’ve found a happy medium with the Cliffwood, and plan to make the PLX-1000 my second table later this year. I think the GR will be a good move for you!
I honestly have no complaints about the sound of the UDeck whatsoever.. it's been a great experience for me from the get go and its heads and tails above my prior setup (the PLX) in terms of sound. Its just not that exciting (for me) to use and therefore I don't as much.

It's purely tactile and honestly I feel a bit silly about it.. but as an example.. I can't wait to run my finger over the engraved Technics on the plinth of the G when I'm flipping albums.. I sense it becoming part of the routine. On the PLX I liked the way the raised dots felt prior to hitting the start button and the way they looked in operation. Both silly, I know.

But aside from the tactile/in use stuff, from all indications the G is an incredible sounding table that shouldn't disappoint.

The Cliffwood is a really nice looking table, glad you hit your sweet spot!! The PLX is a blast.. enjoy it! I put a KAB dampener on mine, and replaced the headshell and mat. Ran it with a Denon DL103. Lot of fun!

Last edited:
I honestly have no complaints about the sound of the UDeck whatsoever.. it's been a great experience for me from the get go and its heads and tails above my prior setup (the PLX) in terms of sound. Its just not that exciting (for me) to use and therefore I don't as much.

It's purely tactile and honestly I feel a bit silly about it.. but as an example.. I can't wait to run my finger over the engraved Technics on the plinth of the G when I'm flipping albums.. I sense it becoming part of the routine. On the PLX I liked the way the raised dots felt prior to hitting the start button and the way they looked in operation. Both silly, I know.

But aside from the tactile/in use stuff, from all indications the G is an incredible sounding table that shouldn't disappoint.

The Cliffwood is a really nice looking table, glad you hit your sweet spot!! The PLX is a blast.. enjoy it! I put a KAB dampener on mine, and replaced the headshell and mat. Ran it with a Denon DL103. Lot of fun!
Don’t feel silly in the slightest - it is a tactile medium, after all! If I could have a turntable that surpassed everything I’ve ever heard, but had a tray akin to a CD player where I couldn’t visibly see the disc, not sure I’d go for it! That’s all part of the enjoyment.

I know you won’t have a direct a/b comparison, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on the GR compared to the PLX when you have some time with it.

Don’t feel silly in the slightest - it is a tactile medium, after all! If I could have a turntable that surpassed everything I’ve ever heard, but had a tray akin to a CD player where I couldn’t visibly see the disc, not sure I’d go for it! That’s all part of the enjoyment.

I know you won’t have a direct a/b comparison, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on the GR compared to the PLX when you have some time with it.
@Slimwhit33 is after the G ($3999) not the GR ($1699).

Psst... the tone arm raises.
I really did laugh out loud at that..

But here's my PSA: Now that its up, if you decide you need to make any adjustments to it in the future, be sure to firmly hold onto the tonearm assembly BEFORE unscrewing the set screw. Because if not, it falls. It falls hard and fast. Personal experience.

My allen wrench that came with the Ultradeck is still attached to the setscrew. I played with the VTA so much during my initial learning/tweaking period that I just ended up leaving it there. I haven't touched it in months, but if I remove it, I'll probably feel the need to play with the it again. Weird, I know.

I doubt you'll believe me when I say the soundstage is noticeably better with it installed, so I won't go there. /s

New to the forum and have a question. I have a MoFi Ultradeck w/ Master Tracker. I've had it for about 7 months, and it's performed brilliantly...until recently. ~35 minutes into listening, the platter slows down to below 33 1/3 RPMs. I can't get the speed back up to 33 1/3, although the next morning, for example, it'll work fine for another 35 minutes. The platter and spindle are lubricated to spec. Is it possible that the belt is worn out or somehow stretched (this wouldn't explain why it works for 35 minutes)? Thanks for your feedback.

Back