MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I did have the Bronze before the Black, and yes I agree with @kvetcha. It tracks great and had very good detail but was very very neutral. If you like the Grado sound then you may not like this. But it's certainly worth a listen if it comes with the table. AAAAAND the body of the Bronze is the same body for the Black so you're just a stylus upgrade away from joining me in the wondrous horror that is the 2M Black.
I would also add though, it needs time to open up. So if you're even thinking of keeping it, at least spin it for like 40+ hours first before you decide...

Last edited:
Hey new family! I recognize some names from VMP and other forums... cool to see.
I’ve been eyeing the UD for years now and I finally did the right thing and ordered one from Music Direct. It should arrive today or tomorrow! I’ll be pairing it with a Soundsmith Zephyr mk III.

Hot tip: Music Direct sells on Reverb.com, where you can make an offer for lower than list price. I may or may not have gotten a screaming deal that way.

Hey new family! I recognize some names from VMP and other forums... cool to see.
I’ve been eyeing the UD for years now and I finally did the right thing and ordered one from Music Direct. It should arrive today or tomorrow! I’ll be pairing it with a Soundsmith Zephyr mk III.

Hot tip: Music Direct sells on Reverb.com, where you can make an offer for lower than list price. I may or may not have gotten a screaming deal that way.
Welcome! Always nice to see new faces here.

Hello everyone! New member here. Proud owner of the MOFI Ultradeck fitted with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge. Been spinning on it for a little over a year with no issues and heavenly sound.
Have you had other carts on your UD?
Welcome!

So..

After having the UD back for a couple weeks now I've come to a realization that as much as I love the sound that the UltraDeck puts out, and it really does sound amazing as we all know, for me something is missing in using it everyday.

Using the old Thorens made me remember how much enjoyment I get out of the process of playing a record. It certainly doesn't carry equal weight to the sound, but to me, it's a factor. Maybe 90/10 sound..80/20 even? I don't know. I used the Thorens a ton while the UD was out for service, probably as much in 3 weeks as I had used the UD in the last 3 months. I figured it was because I had been without vinyl for a month or so and enjoyed the ride. But then..

When the MoFi came back, I continued to want to play the Thorens. The solid knobs, the detachable headshell, the retro looks.. all just got me.

To me, the Thorens is at least 50% more fun to use than the MoFi, but it probably also sounds 20% less impressive, especially at high volumes. Sound being the most important thing, the UD gets top billing. But if I don't use it as much because the experience isn't as satisfying, what's the point?

All this is to say that I have been thinking of what I like about both tables (UD- Sound quality, ease of use. Thorens- Looks, feel of controls, adjustability) and decided to jump to the end game table while I can and will be selling the UltraDeck and Thorens to supplement the purchase of a 1200G. I loved using the PLX1000 I had.. I'm confident the 1200G will give me that same joy, the immediate startup, the retro looks, the adjustability... with sound quality that will at least rival the UltraDeck. Guess we'll see.

For the UltraDeck/UltraTracker combo I am thinking around $1700+ shipping including the cart with less than 200 hrs and the Super Heavy Weight included. Tonearm and dustcover are brand new, all original packaging.. seem reasonable? The only thing I don't have is the original power chord as I misplaced it when I replaced it with the Pangea AC-14, which I will include.

If anyone knows someone who might be interested DM me.. can be flexible for a N&G member and figured I'd start in this forum.. otherwise I'll list it in the coming weeks in the For Sale section and then on the Bay if no takers.

Last edited:
So I got the studiodeck today and the tone arm is still way too high when it’s lowered, coming still just under a centimeter above the record. I’ve tried adjusting the lever but this seems as low as it will to. Tips, please!

What lever?

There is a set screw on the tonearm column, if you loosen it the entire tonearm will be free and it can be moved up or down quite a bit. BE CAREFULL - ONCE LOOSENED THERE IS NO SUPPORT TO THE TONEARM, IT WILL DROP STRAIGHT DOWN IF YOUR NOT HOLDING IT!
Thanks, I had tried that and it was maxed at the bottom. Realized now that the metal part holding the resting foam was bent a little. Seems to be working after carefully bending it back in place

What lever?

There is a set screw on the tonearm column, if you loosen it the entire tonearm will be free and it can be moved up or down quite a bit. BE CAREFULL - ONCE LOOSENED THERE IS NO SUPPORT TO THE TONEARM, IT WILL DROP STRAIGHT DOWN IF YOUR NOT HOLDING IT!
Lol.. see, that’s a good disclaimer!!

Back