MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Hello everyone! I'm new here. This is my first post. I just finished reading this whole thread and I'm now a bit worried because I ordered a Studiodeck about three weeks ago, it should be here this week. But after reading all the issues this deck has had I'm concerned to say the least. I'm in Ontario Canada and with tax I'm into this deck for a tad under $2,400.00 CAD. Should I expect these kinds of issues to be normal for that kind of financial layout? At this point I'm hoping that MoFi has looked into and addressed all the issues. My choice came down to the Studiodeck and the Technics SL-1200GR..... I chose to go with the Studiodeck. Color me worried. :(
Welcome! I’ll echo the same sentiments as others, and I don’t think you have anything to worry about at all. I got my Studiodeck about three months ago. Zero issues, motor is incredibly quiet, and it sounds like a dream.

Congrats on the new table as well. Always good to have another Canadian in the fold!

Welcome! I’ll echo the same sentiments as others, and I don’t think you have anything to worry about at all. I got my Studiodeck about three months ago. Zero issues, motor is incredibly quiet, and it sounds like a dream.

Congrats on the new table as well. Always good to have another Canadian in the fold!

Thanks for the reply! I am feeling better about it!

Hello everyone! I'm new here. This is my first post. I just finished reading this whole thread and I'm now a bit worried because I ordered a Studiodeck about three weeks ago, it should be here this week. But after reading all the issues this deck has had I'm concerned to say the least. I'm in Ontario Canada and with tax I'm into this deck for a tad under $2,400.00 CAD. Should I expect these kinds of issues to be normal for that kind of financial layout? At this point I'm hoping that MoFi has looked into and addressed all the issues. My choice came down to the Studiodeck and the Technics SL-1200GR..... I chose to go with the Studiodeck. Color me worried. :(
Yeah. My first deck had a bad cue lever, but it was used as a demo on the road... and it was replaced with a new one. I think they are great.

Last edited:
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Just a quick note to say that this thread was instrumental in guiding to me to the Studiodeck. I was stepping up from a ProJect Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M red). No question or comment at this point, just a sincere thank you to the folks here who love sound, music, and gear - and routinely share it with folks like me who learn by reading late into the night. Keep doing what you do. Cheers.

Attachments

• 1E2B5AF2-A1ED-4111-A1DD-8CED67A62F4C.jpeg
    1E2B5AF2-A1ED-4111-A1DD-8CED67A62F4C.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 95AEBFB9-8522-4490-AA0A-C7DEB19F18C1.jpeg
    95AEBFB9-8522-4490-AA0A-C7DEB19F18C1.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 34
  • EAB6AFB2-34FE-4C6D-A9B5-4648589B3505.jpeg
    EAB6AFB2-34FE-4C6D-A9B5-4648589B3505.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 3F1CA558-8D92-4A24-8D37-47EC7E031C3F.jpeg
    3F1CA558-8D92-4A24-8D37-47EC7E031C3F.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 31
For the club:
Turntable: MoFi StudioDeck
Cartridge: MoFi MasterTracker
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A680
Phono: Marantz 2245
Speakers: Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Mk. II
Phono Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1
Speaker Cables: Zu LIBTEC
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 650
CD/SACD: Sony UBP-X700
Power: Audioquest Powerquest 3

Just to put my mind at ease that I purchase the correct thing, is this the right stuff that is recommended to grease the bearing? Any tips for applying it? I'm just over a year in so its time.

Amazon product ASIN B000HBNV58
That’s it. You want enough grease to cover the surface. Not large amounts. Put too much on and the platter won’t drop to its regular location.

I'm back again, this time after a covid outbreak. So far, 2021 isn't any better than 2020.

Anyhow, I finally got the AT Safety Raiser (AT6006R) installed. I've got large fingers and that didn't help. It's a bit difficult to line up, hold and test but not impossible. For my Studio Deck I didn't need either of the included risers. The pic I posted awhile back was a Ultra Deck and the larger platter requires one of the risers.

I've used automatic or auto returns most of my life, except for a short lived Rega years ago. I need reprogrammed now. After installing it yesterday I played about 6 sides and it worked great every time. Then I had to run out and when I got back home 4 hours later I realized the table was still running! DOH!!! And this morning, I flipped a record and didn't reset the raiser, half way through the next side...skip skip skip...WTF...DOH!!!

Due to separation and isolation issues in the house, I had to move the table upstairs and I'm playing the hell out of it. No regrets on buying this table, even with the hassle of having to send it back. There's been chatter lately of the "problems" with these tables. To that I say anything with moving parts has the potential for failure. I'd say more people speak up when there is an issue as opposed to those who have no issues, I got here by having a problem otherwise I may never came by.

Attachments

• IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 28
I'm back again, this time after a covid outbreak. So far, 2021 isn't any better than 2020.

Anyhow, I finally got the AT Safety Raiser (AT6006R) installed. I've got large fingers and that didn't help. It's a bit difficult to line up, hold and test but not impossible. For my Studio Deck I didn't need either of the included risers. The pic I posted awhile back was a Ultra Deck and the larger platter requires one of the risers.

I've used automatic or auto returns most of my life, except for a short lived Rega years ago. I need reprogrammed now. After installing it yesterday I played about 6 sides and it worked great every time. Then I had to run out and when I got back home 4 hours later I realized the table was still running! DOH!!! And this morning, I flipped a record and didn't reset the raiser, half way through the next side...skip skip skip...WTF...DOH!!!

Due to separation and isolation issues in the house, I had to move the table upstairs and I'm playing the hell out of it. No regrets on buying this table, even with the hassle of having to send it back. There's been chatter lately of the "problems" with these tables. To that I say anything with moving parts has the potential for failure. I'd say more people speak up when there is an issue as opposed to those who have no issues, I got here by having a problem otherwise I may never came by.
Geez, sorry to hear about the COVID. Glad you seem to have made it through.

I'm very tempted by the idea of buying one of these units, but I do worry it will take a while to train my muscle memory to reset it after each side. Looks great, though.

Thanks for the review. I’m probably going to pick up on of these.

Geez, sorry to hear about the COVID. Glad you seem to have made it through.

I'm very tempted by the idea of buying one of these units, but I do worry it will take a while to train my muscle memory to reset it after each side. Looks great, though.
I still forget occasionally. It's not the damaging kind of "repeat, repeat, repeat" if you do. I wouldn't go back for anything. I don't have to babysit the table anymore.

I'm pretty sure once I get the table moved back downstairs it will become an easier habit. Right now I have the table in a converted armoire in the living room. The shelf is about 5' off the ground above the TV. I have a three yr old boy, so it's up high and out reach. Also, up here I usually have a turntable running while I'm running around and working on other stuff. In the basement, playing records is more of a focused event.

Fine, I'll join in too :)

Recently upgraded to a Studiodeck after having fits with a Margules TT-10. The Margules looked beautiful, but buzzes, hums, mad background hiss prevailed. Just not a silent table no matter what I did. Now I have the Studiodeck and blacks are black again. I seem to be the oddball with the Hana SH instead of SL here, but I thought the higher output might make extra sure I stayed far above the noise floor.

Next upgrade is likely finding some real furniture and replacing that Ikea shelf.

Turntable: Mofi StudioDeck
Cartridge: Hana SH
Clamp: Clearaudio Quadro
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1
Phono: Moon 310LP
Amp: VTV Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A Amplifier
Speakers: DIY Murphy Corner Line Array2021-01-31 09.56.45.jpg2021-01-31 09.57.17.jpg

Fine, I'll join in too :)

Recently upgraded to a Studiodeck after having fits with a Margules TT-10. The Margules looked beautiful, but buzzes, hums, mad background hiss prevailed. Just not a silent table no matter what I did. Now I have the Studiodeck and blacks are black again. I seem to be the oddball with the Hana SH instead of SL here, but I thought the higher output might make extra sure I stayed far above the noise floor.

Next upgrade is likely finding some real furniture and replacing that Ikea shelf.

Turntable: Mofi StudioDeck
Cartridge: Hana SH
Clamp: Clearaudio Quadro
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1
Phono: Moon 310LP
Amp: VTV Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A Amplifier
Speakers: DIY Murphy Corner Line Array
Welcome :)

Back