MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I suppose you can add me as a happy owner of a MoFi Studiodeck!

Turntable: MoFi StudioDeck
Cartridge: MoFi Ultratracker
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-815
Phono: Vincent Pho-8
Speakers: Bose 301
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans

I have owned my speakers and receiver for more than 20 years. They still sound great to me.

I love my Studiodeck/Ultratracker combo, sounds like it’s working well for you too!

This may seem like a newb or weird question...what do you guys do with your dust cover while using your table? I ask because this is really the first table I've owned that is designed to be used without the cover. 90% of the tables I've owned were Duals. They have notoriously fragile dustcovers so removing and replacing was just asking for trouble, flipping it up was just the way to go.

Also, I don't think I ever listed out what I'm using:
Mofi Studiodeck
AT OC9/III cart
Jolida JD9 pre (not stock)
Jolida 1102 amp (slightly not stock inside)
Tekton Lore speakers w/ upgraded Clarity caps

This may seem like a newb or weird question...what do you guys do with your dust cover while using your table? I ask because this is really the first table I've owned that is designed to be used without the cover. 90% of the tables I've owned were Duals. They have notoriously fragile dustcovers so removing and replacing was just asking for trouble, flipping it up was just the way to go.

Also, I don't think I ever listed out what I'm using:
Mofi Studiodeck
AT OC9/III cart
Jolida JD9 pre (not stock)
Jolida 1102 amp (slightly not stock inside)
Tekton Lore speakers w/ upgraded Clarity caps
I just leave mine attached but open while playing.

Propping it open serves as kind of a pedestal for the jacket. Kind of a built in "what's spinning" platform.

View attachment 83136

I have two flipbins, so now I think the orange one goes better with the new setup! :)

View attachment 83137
I was very excited to see that “feature” when I first unboxed. I’ve just always removed it on my other tables, but hell, if HiFi leaves his on....

Thing done. I’ve always liked Dynavectors and owned the DV10x4 in the past. MD had a closeout on the DV10x5 Mk I which I’d prefer over the Mk II anyway.

View attachment 82743
The Dyna is mounted and spinning. I’m only 7 sides in and I love this thing already. Even new from the box it sounds really good. I’ll report back after 40-50 hours, but so far, I’m super happy.
FE78348A-8697-4B04-97B5-A751827D9F53.jpeg

Here’s a tip that I just discovered. Please excuse me if it was already obvious to everyone else.

When I installed the Dynavector, I knew the VTA was a little off: the Grado Gold3 is 17 mm tall, the Dynavector 18.8. Somehow I had misplaced my acrylic VTA/azimuth block. I still haven’t found it. I just got another from Amazon- $15.

I had always used the tool by placing it behind the arm- between the arm and spindle, and sighting along the top of the arm tube to make sure it is level. It works, but it’s time consuming and fiddly. A light bulb went off this morning. The MoFi arms have a horizontal line on the near side. I placed the block up to that (opposite as before) and used the line on the arm to sight against the block. Much, much easier! I got the VTA right on the first try.

Another tip:

I thought I heard some speed variations yesterday. I’ve also noticed that I no longer get “the squeak” upon starting up without giving the platter some assistance.

I realized then that I didn’t replace the belt last year. I’ve ordered a new one- $30. Then I started thinking- I have to dust often, but the side of the platter never gets cleaned. I removed the belt and cleaned the edge of the platter. It was quite dirty. I was shocked.

Speed is back to perfect. When the belt comes in, I’ll relube the bearing and I’ll be good to go for another year.

Another tip:

I thought I heard some speed variations yesterday. I’ve also noticed that I no longer get “the squeak” upon starting up without giving the platter some assistance.

I realized then that I didn’t replace the belt last year. I’ve ordered a new one- $30. Then I started thinking- I have to dust often, but the side of the platter never gets cleaned. I removed the belt and cleaned the edge of the platter. It was quite dirty. I was shocked.

Speed is back to perfect. When the belt comes on, I’ll relube the bearing and I’ll be good to go for another year.
Should you relube the bearing every so many hours of play, or every x-number of months regardless? What is the right lube to use?

So I have an issue I've not come across before. I picked up an album that was new and shrink wrapped online from a local shop out of area. Everything looks perfect to the eye. The album lays flat. I can see no physical damage. The first half track on both sides the cartridge jumps enough to get air-born and plop down creating a thump. It's on the same spot every turn.

I'm thinking it's not set up because I have some clearly warped thin vinyl that it will play fine.

Back