MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I would go with the UD's settings, they're in ranges and I'm guessing it should still fall within one of them even with the new screws.

Notch 1 - 4-6 g
Notch 2 - 6-8 g
Notch 3 - 8-10 g
Notch 4 - 10-12 g

@Joe Mac, FYI, the UD also has the fishline and weight ;)

6.2g screws on a 12.2g cartridge 😱

I have a different table so my anti skate is a little weight on a fishing hook so that’s not exactly the same. I do set mine based on the tracking force rather than the cartridge/screw weight? One of the others might chip in with regard to this table.
It’s pretty close to the same. Mofi uses a table for differences in cart weight I think

Damn, are they THAT heavy?

Yeah the soundsmith is a heavy cart and the screws are in increasing weight but that’s around how heavy the stainless steel and bronze ones are. The aluminium and nylon are much lighter. I had to get a heavier counterweight for up to 15g ish carts because 6.2 plus the 8 of the opus.

Yeah the soundsmith is a heavy cart and the screws are in increasing weight but that’s around how heavy the stainless steel and bronze ones are. The aluminium and nylon are much lighter. I had to get a heavier counterweight for up to 15g ish carts because 6.2 plus the 8 of the opus.
I knew the cart was on the heavier end, didn't realize the screws were though..........I assume you have the lighter ones on your table?

It seems my original preference for the ART-9 might have had more to do with mass. It’s 3x heavier out of the box than the star. My star sounds VERY SIMILAR. the slightly less meat on the bass was one difference. I might try the heavier ones.

I knew the cart was on the heavier end, didn't realize the screws were though..........I assume you have the lighter ones on your table?

No heaviest, I bought an bigger counterweight. The biggest positive is that they make fitting/adjusting the cart such an easy one handed job!

I would go with the UD's settings, they're in ranges and I'm guessing it should still fall within one of them even with the new screws.

Notch 1 - 4-6 g
Notch 2 - 6-8 g
Notch 3 - 8-10 g
Notch 4 - 10-12 g

@Joe Mac, FYI, the UD also has the fishline and weight ;)
One thing that makes me double take. The manual doesn’t clarify. Is notch 1 the one closest to the pivot or farthest from?

Last edited:
I have a headshell/mass question. I received the EZ screws as my free gift from the Zephyr Star. There are 4 sets. the nylon were actually lighter than the original screws. The aluminum where slightly heavier and the last two sets progressively heavier.

I liked the Aluminum (aluminium) as it tended to add a tad of bass to the sound. Considering that I'm adjusting the set up for the new weight why is there an audible impact on sound, and is there a rule of thumb for how much mass I should add at that end?
If you like the sound of the aluminum, stay with them. I wouldn’t go heavier though.

I haven't heard back from Soundsmith re my free gift yet. I have my heart set on getting the Strain Guage cartridge 😜I did too. I was allset to sell without opening.
I was too. I was all set to sell without opening.

I have a different table so my anti skate is a little weight on a fishing hook so that’s not exactly the same. I do set mine based on the tracking force rather than the cartridge/screw weight? One of the others might chip in with regard to this table.
Ours is based on cartridge/screw weight.

The MIMC Star ES is already at the top end of the anti-skate range with default screws.

Ours is based on cartridge/screw weight.

The MIMC Star ES is already at the top end of the anti-skate range with default screws.
Funny thing. Last night I set mine to 4 which should easily be correct and maybe lacking some given the screws I'm using. It wouldn't track the inner groove because anti-skate was too much. I put it on 3 and it's fine now.

Funny thing. Last night I set mine to 4 which should easily be correct and maybe lacking some given the screws I'm using. It wouldn't track the inner groove because anti-skate was too much. I put it on 3 and it's fine now.
one thing I find a little weird is that the manual states there are four anti-skate settings but my tonearm appears to have five.

Back