MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

That's a good question. They don't provide any sort of info on that, do they? I suspect as long as it travels to the end of the record, you're good, right? Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I can provide further insight!
It appears that when rested the tonearm should be facing straight forward so thats easy enough to eyeball.

The more I play with it, the more I just feel like something got wonky in the housing maybe.. its not the up and down movement with the pin. Its the side to side movement in the housing.. there is resistance of some kind. It feels rough...scratchy.. ?

But actually.. you have me thinking you might be right...I just checked and I hadn't been noticing that when the VTA is adjusted the assembly not only goes up and down but also can rotate. So maybe it rotated outward or something? Any idea how to know where its supposed to be from a rotation standpoint?
It’s supposed to be “pointed” towards the platter. Mine is adjusted so the arm can reach halfway into the label area but not so much that it can reach the spindle.

If you adjust the arm to what looks normal (arm parallel to the right plinth edge) the arm won’t be able to play the entire side.

It appears that when rested the tonearm should be facing straight forward so thats easy enough to eyeball.

The more I play with it, the more I just feel like something got wonky in the housing maybe.. its not the up and down movement with the pin. Its the side to side movement in the housing.. there is resistance of some kind. It feels rough...scratchy.. ?
Straight forward is wrong. Let’s call that as the head shell at 6 o clock. 7 o clock is right.

It’s supposed to be “pointed” towards the platter. Mine is adjusted so the arm can reach halfway into the label area but not so much that it can reach the spindle.

If you adjust the arm to what looks normal (arm parallel to the right plinth edge) the arm won’t be able to play
Straight forward is wrong. Let’s call that as the head shell at 6 o clock. 7 o clock is right.
Seems like my arm is an issue. With the arm settled here: FFD6DDD9-116B-40C8-982C-C45497C586CA.jpeg
It travels to here:B377936D-2C6A-4D9A-958F-0F7538396FBE.jpeg

Purchased at Crutchfield in 6/19.. should I be contacting them or MoFi directly at this point do you think?

Ya. Mine def swings way more than that.

I am flashing back to a day a few weeks ago when I was doing a VTA adjustment and the assembly slipped from my fingers slightly and went all the way down and bottomed out in the housing. The arm was mounted at the time. But maybe the hit at the bottom did some damage to a bearing? I had forgotten about this. It worked fine afterwards.. until now.

It’s the only thing I can think of. I’ll contact MoFi for assistance next week. Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

Ya. Mine def swings way more than that.

I am flashing back to a day a few weeks ago when I was doing a VTA adjustment and the assembly slipped from my fingers slightly and went all the way down and bottomed out in the housing. The arm was mounted at the time. But maybe the hit at the bottom did some damage to a bearing? I had forgotten about this. It worked fine afterwards.. until now.

It’s the only thing I can think of. I’ll contact MoFi for assistance next week. Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.
The swinging of the tonearm should be limited by the piece on which the anti-skating lid is attached hitting another piece fixed on the tonearm base... see attached picture... could be one of those broken...IMG_1870.PNG

The swinging of the tonearm should be limited by the piece on which the anti-skating lid is attached hitting another piece fixed on the tonearm base... see attached picture... could be one of those broken...View attachment 75454
Thanks for that.. I just checked and both are there and the antiskate does stop at that tonearm piece. It just does it way past the spindle.. I don't understand it since you can't change the relation between them.. they are a fixed distance apart... see pics below. Pic shows tonearm facing same as Anthony’s at rest. Second pic shows that my antiskate is not bent, and it shows the relatio between the anti skate and the bumper at rest. In order for the arm not to swing past the spindle the stopper piece would need to be closer to the antiskate at rest. Can anyone else take the same top view pic at rest to see if the relation appears the same on yours at rest?
B87C1F58-5E74-4131-B5B2-9F85B1E73E62.jpegC60C1B21-59EF-4ECD-BDFC-B9A3B24E8157.jpeg
I sent MoFi an email this morning so hopefully I'll hear something back and can send it in for service/repair.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.. I just checked and both are there and the antiskate does stop at that tonearm piece. It just does it way past the spindle.. I don't understand it since you can't change the relation between them.. they are a fixed distance apart...

I sent MoFi an email this morning so hopefully I'll hear something back and can send it in for service/repair.
Sorry you're having to deal with this, but I'm really curious what the issue turns out to be......crazy.

Back