MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Dear Ultradeck Club members, I just noticed that the black caoutchouc ring between the tonearm and the head-shell seems rotting as can be seen in the attached picture… Is this ring a damper for any vibration or just a design aesthetic ?

View attachment 64731

That seems like something you should take up with MoFi support. I've found them very responsive.

That seems like something you should take up with MoFi support. I've found them very responsive.
I agree that MoFi support people are very responsive and helpful at least much more than Clearaudio :ROFLMAO:... I already sent them a mail... I believe sometimes users experience things that the guys in the factory never saw so while waiting their answer I also try my chance with my experienced and knowledgeable fellow users:D

I agree that MoFi support people are very responsive and helpful at least much more than Clearaudio :ROFLMAO:... I already sent them a mail... I believe sometimes users experience things that the guys in the factory never saw so while waiting their answer I also try my chance with my experienced and knowledgeable fellow users:D

I’ve got one of the earliest ones made- and my headshell/arm tube O ring is fine. They’ll make it right.

Hello, I'm a vinyl noobie. Seeking some advice.

I've got a UltraDeck with Hana SL MC running into a Sutherland Insight driven by Macintosh integrated amp' I only listen to rock and metal. I love the sound I'm getting but feel that a little bit of slam and speed is lacking when I listen to metal.

It was recommended to me that I could improve this with a change of my cartridge because the Hana is a pretty laid back cartridge. The Soundsmith Zephyr MC was suggested to give the slam and speed that I was looking for. Initially, I thought maybe I should upgrade my deck or headphone amp but I was told they should be ok if I replaced the cartridge.

So, I'm curious is there any other cartridges that I should be on the look out for. Budget is 2k or less, preferably much less. ;) Thanks!

Hello, I'm a vinyl noobie. Seeking some advice.

I've got a UltraDeck with Hana SL MC running into a Sutherland Insight driven by Macintosh integrated amp' I only listen to rock and metal. I love the sound I'm getting but feel that a little bit of slam and speed is lacking when I listen to metal.

It was recommended to me that I could improve this with a change of my cartridge because the Hana is a pretty laid back cartridge. The Soundsmith Zephyr MC was suggested to give the slam and speed that I was looking for. Initially, I thought maybe I should upgrade my deck or headphone amp but I was told they should be ok if I replaced the cartridge.

So, I'm curious is there any other cartridges that I should be on the look out for. Budget is 2k or less, preferably much less. ;) Thanks!
Can I ask what kind of speakers you're using, if your listening to something like speed metal with the rapid fire bass lines and what not maybe your speakers aren't able to keep up with that. Just a thought, I'm sure others will also chime in ;)

Last edited:
I'm currently using using ProAc Response D2R (ribbon tweeter) bookshelf speakers because of Covid-19 tele-learning relocation due to the kid :cautious:. Thanks!

The Zephyr MIMC Star ES gets loud pretty effectively! I have only a couple other carts to compare it to, neither of which is particularly laid back, but it’s detailed, fast, and produces nice, clean bass.

The Zephyr MIMC Star ES is what he recommended to me.

He says don't worry about the deck or phono amp and that the UltraDeck is an extremely capable deck. It's the cartridge that is causing me problems for my music type. He says the Hana is too laid back for me.

I got a case of equipment upgraditis 😆 but if all I need to do is change the cartridge to get the sound I want then that would be awesome.

The Zephyr MIMC Star ES is what he recommended to me.

He says don't worry about the deck or phono amp and that the UltraDeck is an extremely capable deck. It's the cartridge that is causing me problems for my music type. He says the Hana is too laid back for me.

I got a case of equipment upgraditis 😆 but if all I need to do is change the cartridge to get the sound I want then that would be awesome.

Well, for what it's worth, I like mine very much. If you wanna look through my Discogs and pick something, I can take a needle drop and send it along.

Hey guys, new user here. I just scored a used Studiodeck w/o cart over the weekend. Haven't seen many of them used, maybe I'm the first sloppy second here?

I've read through this thread after a google search and haven't seen a mention of an issue I'm having. Last night I moved out my Dual 721 and started setting up the Mofi. Attached my AT OC9/III and the tonearm just doesn't seem to want to balance, it "sticks" in spots moving up and down, it moves laterally just fine. In other words, if I twist the weight back, the cartridge will rise up until it stops. A slight tap to the headshell and no movement. A very slight turn (1/60th) of the weight in and now the arm wants to stick slightly lower or even level. No floating, just sticks. I have free movement of the arm in some spots, but never had an arm react like this. I did put the antiskate weight on before the tonearm weight, but took it off and same thing. Seems to do this more when the weight is further back.

Going to spend some more time on it after kids go to bed, but thought I'd throw it out there in case I'm missing an adjustment or something. I did audition the table and don't even remotely suspect anything nefarious by the seller.

Hey guys, new user here. I just scored a used Studiodeck w/o cart over the weekend. Haven't seen many of them used, maybe I'm the first sloppy second here?

I've read through this thread after a google search and haven't seen a mention of an issue I'm having. Last night I moved out my Dual 721 and started setting up the Mofi. Attached my AT OC9/III and the tonearm just doesn't seem to want to balance, it "sticks" in spots moving up and down, it moves laterally just fine. In other words, if I twist the weight back, the cartridge will rise up until it stops. A slight tap to the headshell and no movement. A very slight turn (1/60th) of the weight in and now the arm wants to stick slightly lower or even level. No floating, just sticks. I have free movement of the arm in some spots, but never had an arm react like this. I did put the antiskate weight on before the tonearm weight, but took it off and same thing. Seems to do this more when the weight is further back.

Going to spend some more time on it after kids go to bed, but thought I'd throw it out there in case I'm missing an adjustment or something. I did audition the table and don't even remotely suspect anything nefarious by the seller.
It doesn't sound like anything in your setup, sounds like something in the gimble/bearing of the tonearm. See what other responses you get, but I would toss that one over to MoFi to see what they say.

I assume it’s not something glaringly obvious like the cue lever?

Nope, checked that.

Here’s a video

Whoa, I see what you mean now. That is wild.

Seems like something Mofi support could clear up pretty quickly. I wonder if there's some sort of transport screw that might add tension to the arm to keep it from drifting?

edit: can't find documentation on anything like that. could you follow up with the seller and see if he perhaps made any adjustments while packing it?

Whoa, I see what you mean now. That is wild.

Seems like something Mofi support could clear up pretty quickly. I wonder if there's some sort of transport screw that might add tension to the arm to keep it from drifting?

edit: can't find documentation on anything like that. could you follow up with the seller and see if he perhaps made any adjustments while packing it?

I thought maybe the tonearm wires were maybe causing it, I gently pulled some slack out of the tonearm. No change.

I was there when the seller packed it up in the original box. He did tell me to let me know what my thoughts were, so I may reach out to him.

I rebuilt my Dual 721 from a complete tear down. The gimbals on those have set screws. The Studiodeck has pressed in pins. The pin on the right hand side is slightly protruding the support. The left side is flush. I have no clue what type of bearings are in there, oiled or dry? A post it note will easily slide between the tonearm and support on the left side. On the right, it’s definitely tighter and snags the paper.

I thought maybe the tonearm wires were maybe causing it, I gently pulled some slack out of the tonearm. No change.

I was there when the seller packed it up in the original box. He did tell me to let me know what my thoughts were, so I may reach out to him.

I rebuilt my Dual 721 from a complete tear down. The gimbals on those have set screws. The Studiodeck has pressed in pins. The pin on the right hand side is slightly protruding the support. The left side is flush. I have no clue what type of bearings are in there, oiled or dry? A post it note will easily slide between the tonearm and support on the left side. On the right, it’s definitely tighter and snags the paper.

Sounds promising. Any way to gently push the pin flush? Might be producing enough internal friction to cause the behavior.

Though perhaps reaching out to MoFi for confirmation would be wise, just as a CYA.

Looks like the bearings are too tight.

Passed on the info and video to MoFi. They responded that the pin is oiled from the factory and to maybe try some lightweight oil. They were also surprised to see this.

I'm going to add a drop or two of oil in there later.

One other thing that maybe you guys can help me with. Can you look under the tonearm on your decks and tell me what the wires look like coming out of the arm. I have about 1/8" of wire shielding sticking out of the arm, then just the four wires going down through the deck. I'm not sure if that shielding should be either:
1. tucked up inside the arm
or
2. part or full ways down into the deck

I'm working on a suspicion/theory that maybe when the first owner disconnected his cart that he may have inadvertently pulled the wires foward through the arm and maybe creating a binding.

Passed on the info and video to MoFi. They responded that the pin is oiled from the factory and to maybe try some lightweight oil. They were also surprised to see this.

I'm going to add a drop or two of oil in there later.

One other thing that maybe you guys can help me with. Can you look under the tonearm on your decks and tell me what the wires look like coming out of the arm. I have about 1/8" of wire shielding sticking out of the arm, then just the four wires going down through the deck. I'm not sure if that shielding should be either:
1. tucked up inside the arm
or
2. part or full ways down into the deck

I'm working on a suspicion/theory that maybe when the first owner disconnected his cart that he may have inadvertently pulled the wires foward through the arm and maybe creating a binding.

68389BD6-D7F9-4D2F-A3B3-9F57FBF7FF09.jpeg

Back