MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I think Mofi/HRS would beg to differ on those being identical. Mofi doesn't do much to justify the cost, but if you look at HRS (who makes those weights for Mofi) you'll see them justifying the cost with specific geometry, tight tolerances, and propriety polymer. HiFi has a point above.
Not to hate on MoFi. I love my UltraDeck. But my platter doesn't sit perfectly parallel to the plinth... When I showed the dealer a video I was told that this was within normal spec. And he made a good point. It sounds amazing. Nothing that I can hear when I close my eyes. But as for tight tolerances and geometry? Does it matter if I put it on my warbly platter? With a slightly warped or off center record?

It's a beautifully chaotic dance this hobby. And as much as I want a matching record weight I can't personally justify that cost. Like ceramic bearings on a bicycle. Just not tangible benefits to most. Big Ben serves me well for coupling the record.

Not to hate on MoFi. I love my UltraDeck. But my platter doesn't sit perfectly parallel to the plinth... When I showed the dealer a video I was told that this was within normal spec. And he made a good point. It sounds amazing. Nothing that I can hear when I close my eyes. But as for tight tolerances and geometry? Does it matter if I put it on my warbly platter? With a slightly warped or off center record?

It's a beautifully chaotic dance this hobby. And as much as I want a matching record weight I can't personally justify that cost. Like ceramic bearings on a bicycle. Just not tangible benefits to most. Big Ben serves me well for coupling the record.

Have you tried re greasing your bearing and letting the platter re settle?

Finally taking the plunge and joining the Ultradeck family! It'll be replacing my Rega P3 and will make my set-up all American-made gear:

Phono: Sutherland KC Vibe (Kansas City)
Amp: Rogue Sphinx v2 (Brodheadsville, PA)
Speakers: Magnepan .7s (White Bear Lake, MN)

Welcome to the club! Its an amazing TT..

hey @AnthonyI, could I have my setup updated in the first post?

Turntable: UltraDeck / BigBen Record Weight Stabilizer
Cartridge: SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES
Amp: JoLida JD-801arc
Phono: Sutherland 20/20
Speakers: Klipsch Forte II (Crites upgrades)
Power Conditioner: Panamax MR4000
Speaker Cable: BJC 12
Interconnects: Wireworld Terra 7
Headphones: Meze 99 Classics (via Schiit Magni Heresy)

Any further thoughts on the Zephyr after a bit more time with it?

You're good, let me know if I missed anything.

Hey, let us know how you like it!

Oh yeah, I'm loving it! It's quieter than my P3, and definitely more detailed. Listening to Bitches Brew and it is sounding amazing. I'm going to throw some of my problem records at it either later tonight or tomorrow to see if it was actually a turntable problem or if the pressings I have just suck

Absolutely love it. My system’s honestly never sounded better, and I can’t imagine wanting to change anything out except out of boredom.

That's a sweet cart kvetcha! Did you switch from the UT to the Zephyr? If so I'd love to hear what you thought the improvements are and maybe how you think it benefits the Forte's, if at all. I've been contemplating a change and had been looking at the Soundsmith line.

That's a sweet cart kvetcha! Did you switch from the UT to the Zephyr? If so I'd love to hear what you thought the improvements are and maybe how you think it benefits the Forte's, if at all. I've been contemplating a change and had been looking at the Soundsmith line.

I did! My MasterTracker was getting near the halfway point of its stylus life, and I decided that, rather than playing it until it wore out, I would take the opportunity to replace it with something new so that I could keep the MoFi on hand as a spare.

I'd been intrigued by SoundSmith for some time, both for the performance of the carts and for their generous rebuild policy, and was ultimately sold by a visit to their stall at an audio show late last year, where I was able to meet Peter Ledermann (a very nice gentleman) and spend some time listening to their higher-end carts (a Hyperion and a Strain Gauge...whew).

I was originally going to purchase a NOS previous-generation Zephyr MIMC Star from Hi-Fi Heaven for $1200, but after I ordered they emaiiled me saying they didn't actually have any available, and offered to sell me the new ES model for 10% more. I am not one to say no to a $1999 cart for $1320, so I took them up, and here we are.

It's been some time, so I'm not sure I could give you an accurate comparison off the top of my head, but I really don't have any complaints with the Soundsmith. The channel separation is ungodly. It tracks beautifully. It's detailed and sweet without any sense of coloration, and the bass reaches deep without bloat. I'm sure there are better carts out there, but ever since I got the Soundsmith I have been totally happy to just sit and spin records, without quietly imagining my next upgrade.

I should probably note that Hi-Fi Heaven currently has an open-box MIMC Star ES for $1249.

Back