MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Hmmm...I don't remeber who told me it is 237.77, It was too long ago and I don't have the Emails anymore. It may have been Steve Shade himself but I am not sure.
I have written them (MoFi) again but I haven't gotten a reply.

Hmmm...I don't remeber who told me it is 237.77, It was too long ago and I don't have the Emails anymore. It may have been Steve Shade himself but I am not sure.
I have written them (MoFi) again but I haven't gotten a reply.
Let us know if you hear back with anything definitive!

I will do that.
My argument for the 237.77mm is that it is not a round number. If that makes sense. I use the Conrad Hoffman Arc protractor printout tool for setting up my cartridge and with the Baerwald alignment. With the given overhang I get an effective length of 253.99mm which is basically 10inches. Which corresponds to the 10in MoFi arms.

But basically I have no idea.

I nearly read the whole thread and there many things which made me think. Having had some issues with my table, Partly because of my own wrong doing, but that is another story. One thing which I would like to mention which may be of help to some, when changing the arm height/VTA, I put index cards (about 7.5x5.5cm) under that thingy that prodrudes out which holds the cue lever and the arm hold. Like a pile so they just fit underneath it.
When ever I loosen that screw on the right hand side of the base the arm can't fall down. If I want to raise the arm I put 1,2 ,3 or how ever many needed on top of the pile. These cards I keep seperate as a reference. To lower I remove a card or two and the arm can gentle sag down. So there is no stress of the arm falling or making issues of fidling to get the right height.

I nearly read the whole thread and there many things which made me think. Having had some issues with my table, Partly because of my own wrong doing, but that is another story. One thing which I would like to mention which may be of help to some, when changing the arm height/VTA, I put index cards (about 7.5x5.5cm) under that thingy that prodrudes out which holds the cue lever and the arm hold. Like a pile so they just fit underneath it.
When ever I loosen that screw on the right hand side of the base the arm can't fall down. If I want to raise the arm I put 1,2 ,3 or how ever many needed on top of the pile. These cards I keep seperate as a reference. To lower I remove a card or two and the arm can gentle sag down. So there is no stress of the arm falling or making issues of fidling to get the right height.
You can also get plastic and metal shims of prescribed thicknesses that would also serve this purpose ---good idea

Just wondering how you are doing with your new table . Have you been able to sort out all the issues . I found it took me a bit of time to get use to the table and tweek it a bit .

All fine. Readjusted the cartridge and it seems fine. Although after awhile I rechecked the alighnment and I saw the cartridge was a bit off. I have had this issue before, it is a Goldring 1042 and I really do have to tighten the screws extremly tight. It seems the Goldring wants to "slip" on the head shell.

Does anyone share this opinion about Mofi Ultradeck turntable factory feet? I was wondering if this message came from somebody here.

"These things are plastic junk. The "screw" is molded plastic, and part of the foot housing. Total garbage & definitely a potential point of failure. WAY too small for this deck. VERY difficult to level this table on a perfectly level surface. Inevitably, one foot will either be too compressed or float above the deck & it just won't be level.

Does anyone share this opinion about Mofi Ultradeck turntable factory feet? I was wondering if this message came from somebody here.

"These things are plastic junk. The "screw" is molded plastic, and part of the foot housing. Total garbage & definitely a potential point of failure. WAY too small for this deck. VERY difficult to level this table on a perfectly level surface. Inevitably, one foot will either be too compressed or float above the deck & it just won't be level.
I don't agree with this statement.

I've had my table for years now and had no issues with the feet or the leveling experience. I leveled it precisely once, when I installed it, and it has remained perfectly level since then.

Like others I have had no problems with the feet . It does take a bit of focus to get the table level . I have checked it a couple of times and its still fine . My table sits on a IsoAcoustics Isolation Platform, maybe a bit of overkill on my part but I got it used at a reasonable price .

All fine. Readjusted the cartridge and it seems fine. Although after awhile I rechecked the alighnment and I saw the cartridge was a bit off. I have had this issue before, it is a Goldring 1042 and I really do have to tighten the screws extremly tight. It seems the Goldring wants to "slip" on the head shell.
I am always interested in peoples experience in playing around with the anti skate. According to the manual my correct setting is the third ring on the pin. I have tried the other rings and sometimes I think I hear a difference and other times not . Have you tried the various anti skating settings with this cartridge ?

Seeing how many people find the Mofis quiet and generally good, I would say the feet are good. For me, they tried to make a good product with mostly wise choices to an attractive price. One may need to bring some patience in setting the feet, not more.

I am always interested in peoples experience in playing around with the anti skate. According to the manual my correct setting is the third ring on the pin. I have tried the other rings and sometimes I think I hear a difference and other times not . Have you tried the various anti skating settings with this cartridge ?
Anti-skating I find difficult, as I never really hear a difference. I have a Goldring 1042 on my StudioDeck and according to the instructions I should be in notch 2, but only just. Some turntables set their anti-skate according to the tracking weight. And it seems most people track at 1,8-2g where I only track at 1,7g. I have my anti-skate in the first notch as a result. I have also tried the Soundsmith way (I think it was mentioned there) to determine anti-skate using a blank disk.

I don’t use any anti-skate with my Hana SL 👀
I cannot walk on water ---kidding aside I need some degree of anti skating for my system to sound good , at least I think . Could never find a blank disk to test and have read suggestions that this is not the best way to test . Opinions are all over the place on this issue as usual . I have 73 year old young ears and expect with each passing year will hear less detail ---hearing something is better then hearing nothing . Tinker away , gives us something to comment on given the thread is 117 pages long .

Back