MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Thanks for the feedback! I followed development of the table. It never entered my mind to consider creating an ISO foot for the Mofi tables. I may play around with a custom foot option in my spare time.
I used GAIA series isolation feet under my Castle Chester Speakers which are on short stands and I heard an immediate difference so this type of isolation worked for me on some equipment .

New here, registered and posting to this thread to specifically get MoFi users' take on the following:

Ultradeck w/ MasterTracker vs Orbit Theory w/ Grado Gold

Own the latter and potentially have the opportunity to acquire the former (to replace, not augment).

Those who've had experience with both, what say you?

New here, registered and posting to this thread to specifically get MoFi users' take on the following:

Ultradeck w/ MasterTracker vs Orbit Theory w/ Grado Gold

Own the latter and potentially have the opportunity to acquire the former (to replace, not augment).

Those who've had experience with both, what say you?
I mean, they are tables at VERY different price points. My first question is probably: how much will the UltraDeck cost you?

I love my UltraDeck, but I'm not so sure it represents a $1600 improvement on the Orbit Theory. And the MasterTracker, while a very good cart, gets spendy once you start dealing with replacement cost.
This helps because long-term care cost is my main concern. Considering holding onto the Theory and investing in a Soundsmith Zephyr for more attainable cart path. Hurts initially but 20% re-tips make the long game a better return on investment.

The UD looks fit to the task and easy on the eyes, just don't know a thing about Master Tracker.

This helps because long-term care cost is my main concern. Considering holding onto the Theory and investing in a Soundsmith Zephyr for more attainable cart part. Hurts initially but 20% re-tips make the long game a better return on investment.
I have run a Zephyr MIMC Star ES, it's a great cart. I think I'll be happy alternating and rebuilding/retipping it and my SAE 1000LT indefinitely.

The Theory's tonearm is quite light, so you're going to want something in Soundsmith's mid- or high-compliance series (the Carmen or Aida). The Zephyr is likely to be too stiff to pair well with the Theory.

I recommend buying from HiFi Heaven if you decide to go that direction: Search - soundsmith

I have run a Zephyr MIMC Star ES, it's a great cart. I think I'll be happy alternating and rebuilding/retipping it and my SAE 1000LT indefinitely.

The Theory's tonearm is quite light, so you're going to want something in Soundsmith's mid- or high-compliance series (the Carmen or Aida). The Zephyr is likely to be too stiff to pair well with the Theory.
That's great to know and somewhat disappointing at the same time. Always wanted a Zephyr after hearing a few on different tables.

Which do you recommend between the Carmen and Aida? I know it comes to personal choice but since I'm actively soliciting opinions I'll take what I receive with a grain of salt.

That's great to know and somewhat disappointing at the same time. Always wanted a Zephyr after hearing a few on different tables.

Which do you recommend between the Carmen and Aida? I know it comes to personal choice but since I'm actively soliciting opinions I'll take what I receive with a grain of salt.
I haven't heard either in person, but as far as I'm aware there's not a single clunker in the Soundsmith lineup. I know @AnthonyI owned and enjoyed an Otello. If you wanted to spend Zephyr money, Hifi Heaven has an open box Aida for $1399, which is a steep discount. In their lineup I believe it's considered a step up from the Zephyr and priced similarly to the Zephyr MIMC Star.

The Carmen is also really nice by all accounts. A little warmer than the Aida, not quite as big and open, but very pleasant tonally. For $849 open-box from HiFi Heaven and with cheaper rebuilds than the Aida, it might be the goldilocks choice.

@spydrwebb44 I should mention that Soundsmith's site says the low-compliance carts will work with tonearm masses of 7g to 29g, so by their own specification your Theory should be fine for the Zephyr/Zephyr MIMC Star.
I thought so but thank you for the clarification. Provided it's not exactly the best technical fit, any other SS cart you personally recommend? I emailed Peter but he's a busy man and I don't expect my inquiry to hold top priority.

I haven't heard either in person, but as far as I'm aware there's not a single clunker in the Soundsmith lineup. I know @AnthonyI owned and enjoyed an Otello. If you wanted to spend Zephyr money, Hifi Heaven has an open box Aida for $1399, which is a steep discount. In their lineup I believe it's considered a step up from the Zephyr and priced similarly to the Zephyr MIMC Star.

The Carmen is also really nice by all accounts. A little warmer than the Aida, not quite as big and open, but very pleasant tonally. For $849 open-box from HiFi Heaven and with cheaper rebuilds than the Aida, it might be the goldilocks choice.
Based on this account, I'd be a fool not to consider the Carmen for < 1k. That's wonderful insight. I greatly appreciate the tip.

Based on this account, I'd be a fool not to consider the Carmen for < 1k. That's wonderful insight. I greatly appreciate the tip.
Let us know what you decide! Welcome to N&G.

While I’m here, I’ll also say you should look into an SAE 1000E or 1000LT. @Joe Mac is selling one out of Ireland for 150 Euros and it is a startlingly good cart for that money. I installed mine while my Soundsmith was being rebuilt and have been enjoying it so much that I haven’t bothered switching back.

Back