MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I have a Mofi Studiodeck with Studio Tracker stylus. I’ve noticed that my albums sound very distorted and trying to figure out why. 1) I noticed that the hi-fi store did not use the rubber washer to anti-skate weight to the pin. They used the actual string. They also connected to what looks like the 3rd notch from the base. I noticed that the pin has 5 notches, yet the instruction manual only mentions 4. Is one of the notch’s not a ”real“ notch? And based on the pic, is this the right notch?

I also noticed that the counter weight was aligned over the tape. I adjusted it so that it’s touching the tape not covering it.

Any other tips that I should look at to enhance sound quality.

I have a NAD C368 Amp and KEF LS50 Meta speakers with Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables.View attachment 173855
A question about the picture , is this your current setup ? The string and black ring appear to connected to the post as designed . The only issue is the location on ring/notch 1 as opposed the second ring as suggested for the Studio Tracker stylus. In an email I received from MOFI they indicated that the first notch closest to the support is not used so the first notch for counting is the second notch ---a MOFI mind trick . Is your unit sounding better . Remember you can play around a bit with what notch you use and the tracking force weight , start with the recommended settings and go from there with your ear as the judge . I have played with both settings and some days I think I hear a difference and others not

So this would be notch #4?

From the MoFi webpage:
Q: Is “Notch 1” on the Anti-Skate Pin at the tip or the base of the anti-skate pin?

A: Notch 1 is nearest the base of the pin.

Yes.

Sorry, I’m not fully caught up on the thread, but notch 4 is a large amount of anti skate. Make sure your cartridge is sufficiently heavy so that it needs that.
Yep. I use that notch for my SoundSmith, but it's a 12.2g cart.

So this would be notch #4?

From the MoFi webpage:
Q: Is “Notch 1” on the Anti-Skate Pin at the tip or the base of the anti-skate pin?

As people are noting yes this is notch 4 but check cart. weight as it determines the correct notch to use , at least as a starting point as in the end use your ears to tweek if necessary .

As people are noting yes this is notch 4 but check cart. weight as it determines the correct notch to use , at least as a starting point as in the end use your ears to tweek if necessary .
Sure? I asked MoFi and they said its notch #5
They count from the base of the pin..
And from their website.
"

"

Now im really confused..

Sure? I asked MoFi and they said its notch #5
They count from the base of the pin..
And from their website.
"

"

Now im really confused..
Yes it can be confusing, when I asked Greg at MOFI about this , here is what he said .
The anti-skate question is one I have seen before. The anti-skate notches are counted from the pivot post outward. There are five (5) notches. The notch at the pivot post does not play a part in this. So, the 1st useful notch is actually the 2nd notch from the pivot post.
So based on this response , yes there are five notches , but the first one close to the post is not counted as it relates to anti skating. For me I start counting from the end of the pin which is notch 4 ---less confusing.

Yes it can be confusing, when I asked Greg at MOFI about this , here is what he said .

So based on this response , yes there are five notches , but the first one close to the post is not counted as it relates to anti skating. For me I start counting from the end of the pin which is notch 4 ---less confusing.
Wow. Confusing 🤯 ill stick to that information then 👍

Phasemation PP-200,
10,5gr
The following is from the MOFI TT brochure. so at 10.5 g you would appear to be on notch 4 ie the notch furthest out on the pin as in your picture . You may also want to try notch 3 to see if you hear a difference . I have tried different notches and not heard a difference , but I think other may have . See what your ears tell you .
Notch 1: 4g – 6g cartridges Notch 2: 6g – 8g cartridges Notch 3: 8g – 10g cartridges Notch 4: 10g – 12g cartridges

The following is from the MOFI TT brochure. so at 10.5 g you would appear to be on notch 4 ie the notch furthest out on the pin as in your picture . You may also want to try notch 3 to see if you hear a difference . I have tried different notches and not heard a difference , but I think other may have . See what your ears tell you .
I ran it on notch #3 for a while, and now 4. Cant tell the difference quite yet. But on notch 3, when i lift the arm it sorta pulls outwards. On notch 4 it does not pull the arm outwards.

I ran it on notch #3 for a while, and now 4. Cant tell the difference quite yet. But on notch 3, when i lift the arm it sorta pulls outwards. On notch 4 it does not pull the arm outwards.
I had the same experience regarding arm movement and I think I can remember others experiencing the same thing . The suggestion I understand is to listen to a range of material you know well and see if you hear a difference or just be happy with it on notch 4 depending on your desire to play around . Watch out about being dragged down the rabbit hole . The other important thing is to ensure your TT ie platter is level as this can potentially have an impact on arm movement . I use an automatic arm lift now so my arm always moves up and out on the lift

As I was closing the MOFI TT manual I noticed the following re cart. weights . Your cart. at 10.5 is a bit outside of the range they note . Others have used higher cart. weights apparently without any impacts . Kvetcha uses a soundsmith cart. with a weight of 12.2 I think .

Cartridge Weight Range 5g – 10g

As I was closing the MOFI TT manual I noticed the following re cart. weights . Your cart. at 10.5 is a bit outside of the range they note . Others have used higher cart. weights apparently without any impacts . Kvetcha uses a soundsmith cart. with a weight of 12.2 I think .
Yeah, never had any issues with the anti-skate on the outermost ring

Hi new here. Just got myself an Ultradeck+ which was a replacement (So to speak) for my earlier purchase of a Pro-Ject turntable which died only after 1 month of use.

Regarding this antiskate notches issue. I am actually confused as well as to which notch I should put the weight and counting from which end. Why couldn't MOFI just add some numbers on the diagram they have included in the manual? So strange and confusing people.

Even at this early stage of ownership I am already having issue with the cue lever which was getting stuck midway. I decided to loosen it up by adding a drop of oil. Now the level just drop like a rock. LOL!. After dismantling the whole lever I realized inside is a sort of piston with a spring. I need to add a thick grease to dampen the drop. Hmmm..

Otherwise have been enjoying listening to this deck.

Hi new here. Just got myself an Ultradeck+ which was a replacement (So to speak) for my earlier purchase of a Pro-Ject turntable which died only after 1 month of use.

Regarding this antiskate notches issue. I am actually confused as well as to which notch I should put the weight and counting from which end. Why couldn't MOFI just add some numbers on the diagram they have included in the manual? So strange and confusing people.

Even at this early stage of ownership I am already having issue with the cue lever which was getting stuck midway. I decided to loosen it up by adding a drop of oil. Now the level just drop like a rock. LOL!. After dismantling the whole lever I realized inside is a sort of piston with a spring. I need to add a thick grease to dampen the drop. Hmmm..

Otherwise have been enjoying listening to this deck.
First off, Welcome :)

See if this helps -
MoFi_UD_Pins.jpg

First off, Welcome :)

See if this helps -
View attachment 174665
I think this may actually be incorrect per the above email from MoFi:

The anti-skate question is one I have seen before. The anti-skate notches are counted from the pivot post outward. There are five (5) notches. The notch at the pivot post does not play a part in this. So, the 1st useful notch is actually the 2nd notch from the pivot post.

So the outermost notch is Notch 4.

Back