MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Good to hear , the clear Azimuth/VTA guide is a very useful tool to have and cheap on amazon. In a pinch i have used a small level or cut a guide from cardboard ensuring it was level, to check the arm .
Sorry to be late on help for this, but it may be helpful for others. This is how VPI recommends leveling a Traveler tonearm - should work for any VTA adjustable tonearm.

“Put a record on the platter and a 5X7 lined index card (bent in half on the middle line) on the record near the spindle. Use the lines on the card as a starting point to adjust arm height. Make the arm tube parallel to the lines on the card. When the arm is at the desired height, tighten the screw. You can raise or lower the arm later for fine adjustments.”

I also replace the water in the ultrasonic bath more than is recommended to avoid dirty water drying back onto the record.
One reason I use a bit of Jet Dry in my homebrew is that it contains chelating agents and anti-redeposition polymers which help prevent getting dirt back onto the record after it’s been removed from the grooves. Jet Dry is actually a fairly sophisticated surfactant if you ever read up on its contents.

But, back to MoFi decks…

Last edited:
Sorry to be late on help for this, but it may be helpful for others. This is how VPI recommends leveling a Traveler tonearm - should work for any VTA adjustable tonearm.

“Put a record on the platter and a 5X7 lined index card (bent in half on the middle line) on the record near the spindle. Use the lines on the card as a starting point to adjust arm height. Make the arm tube parallel to the lines on the card. When the arm is at the desired height, tighten the screw. You can raise or lower the arm later for fine adjustments.”
I used this method to check my arm before I got a clear guide . I carefully added some additional lines . It worked fine to check how level the arm is but you have to be careful where you position as if you get too close to the outside edge of the record the raised edge will skew the results .

How can one check to see if the sapphire thrust pad is in place for an Ultradeck?

A couple of members have had issues with high friction in some decks when the lube gets dry, but a sapphire thrust pad with a hardened SS bearing should not have excessive amounts of friction, even if there is a noticeable increase.

My arm is all the way down as low as it will go and I could use another just shy of 1/8th. I need to add a shim on top of the cart.

My arm is all the way down as low as it will go and I could use another just shy of 1/8th. I need to add a shim on top of the cart.
Further to what Kvetcha asked and to be clear in my mind , you are having the opposite issue to the one Ghost raised on p112 post 2221 where in his picture , the arm was so low that is touched the edge of the record . A picture like the one Ghost took would be very helpful . Back to the repeat of winter we are having in southern Ontario .

AT OC9III This is a thin record, didn't try a 180g which should bring the cart slightly up. When I place a tiny button level on the head shell, it's close to level. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, overall it sounds good, just a slight bit of sibilance on some records.
IMG_7151D.JPG

AT OC9III This is a thin record, didn't try a 180g which should bring the cart slightly up. When I place a tiny button level on the head shell, it's close to level. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, overall it sounds good, just a slight bit of sibilance on some records.
View attachment 172201
Yes very close .I would also check it with other thickness of records as there can be quite a difference between the very thin ones and the 180 g . A lot of sites suggest that you use an average thickness record as a starting point and then use you ears as a guide

Is your table good and level ?
It's very close. A week or so ago I decided to experiment with isolation. I made a platform to go under the table and then put isolation pads between the platform and my rack. Anytime I move the table, I break out the level to check it. I was messing around with it again yesterday and want to sand the platform just a bit more, once that's done I hope to have the table dead nuts level. I'm going to wait to do anything with the arm until I'm happy with the platform.

It's very close. A week or so ago I decided to experiment with isolation. I made a platform to go under the table and then put isolation pads between the platform and my rack. Anytime I move the table, I break out the level to check it. I was messing around with it again yesterday and want to sand the platform just a bit more, once that's done I hope to have the table dead nuts level. I'm going to wait to do anything with the arm until I'm happy with the platform.
Sounds like a good approach , getting the table level can at times be such a tedious thing as every tweak in one direction can result in the need for more ---never ending story . Let us know the final results once you get the table level .

I have a Mofi Studiodeck with Studio Tracker stylus. I’ve noticed that my albums sound very distorted and trying to figure out why. 1) I noticed that the hi-fi store did not use the rubber washer to anti-skate weight to the pin. They used the actual string. They also connected to what looks like the 3rd notch from the base. I noticed that the pin has 5 notches, yet the instruction manual only mentions 4. Is one of the notch’s not a ”real“ notch? And based on the pic, is this the right notch?

I also noticed that the counter weight was aligned over the tape. I adjusted it so that it’s touching the tape not covering it.

Any other tips that I should look at to enhance sound quality.

I have a NAD C368 Amp and KEF LS50 Meta speakers with Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables.IMG_3051.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Mofi Studiodeck with Studio Tracker stylus. I’ve noticed that my albums sound very distorted and trying to figure out why. 1) I noticed that the hi-fi store did not use the rubber washer to anti-skate weight to the pin. They used the actual string. They also connected to what looks like the 3rd notch from the base. I noticed that the pin has 5 notches, yet the instruction manual only mentions 4. Is one of the notch’s not a ”real“ notch? And based on the pic, is this the right notch?

I also noticed that the counter weight was aligned over the tape. I adjusted it so that it’s touching the tape not covering it.

I have a NAD C368 Amp and KEF LS50 Meta speakers with Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables.View attachment 173855
Check back to around post 2105 for a discussion of the ring numbering . The first ring close to the post is not counted . Easier to start at the ring furthest out which is number 4 . You can play around with the location of the ring and use your ear to decide what works for you . Call or email MOFI or your dealer for the rubber ring as it is important to hold the string . The picture shows the ring in place and attached to the first groove . Its best to use a a tracking force gauge to get the correct weight for the cartridge as they are not all that expensive and again you can adjust the weight to see if you hear a difference .

Its best to use a a tracking force gauge to get the correct weight for the cartridge as they are not all that expensive and again you can adjust the weight to see if you hear a difference .
I recommend this gauge, it does the trick, $15.75 shipped from a small biz, not 4m4z0n

do you have a good video reference that shows how i should use this information to help calibrate my turntable?
The cartridge specification should list a recommended tracking force range. You just want to use the scale to ensure that your current tracking force is somewhere within that recommended range.

do you have a good video reference that shows how i should use this information to help calibrate my turntable?
Go online and google tracking force gauge and all sorts of videos and links will come up explaining what to do and the the impact on the sound you hear . Like Kvetcha said , check your MOFI manual for the appropriate tracking force range .

Back