MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Yep! It looks like this. No leaking fluids on my end. The looping is coming from the warps in a record tapping the arm since they’re so close and popping the arm up and back a smidge E0EFEB96-F9B5-496C-AE42-0B2C442D0EE0.jpeg

Yep! It looks like this. No leaking fluids on my end. The looping is coming from the warps in a record tapping the arm since they’re so close and popping the arm up and back a smidge View attachment 171642
Could it be that the back of the arm dropped ie the small screw used to move the whole are up and down came loose and the rear dropped .

I think thats likely it. Is it pretty easy to adjust, and how do I know when to stop?
I have taken a shot of that part of the manual if you cannot read you can get the manual online. As they note you must get the arm level with the record surface . There are a lot of video's online about the general set up . A lot suggest that you need to rest the needle on a stationary medium thickness record . Be careful when adjusting the screw as the unit can drop . Other members who have far more experience then me may be able to offer guidance . Screenshot (136).png

I have taken a shot of that part of the manual if you cannot read you can get the manual online. As they note you must get the arm level with the record surface . There are a lot of video's online about the general set up . A lot suggest that you need to rest the needle on a stationary medium thickness record . Be careful when adjusting the screw as the unit can drop . Other members who have far more experience then me may be able to offer guidance . View attachment 171645
Yep, this. You want the tonearm to be totally level when playing a standard record.

Seems I was able to eyeball it close enough. Queue lever is working and the arm has clearance over the platter and theres no distortion to be heard. Grateful nothing got broken during the move.

Thanks for the quick pointers friends!

Seems I was able to eyeball it close enough. Queue lever is working and the arm has clearance over the platter and theres no distortion to be heard. Grateful nothing got broken during the move.

Thanks for the quick pointers friends!
Good to hear , the clear Azimuth/VTA guide is a very useful tool to have and cheap on amazon. In a pinch i have used a small level or cut a guide from cardboard ensuring it was level, to check the arm .

It's been a while since I've been to these forums. Hoping someone can assist with advice :)

I have an UltraDeck with a master tracker. I just purchased a southerland 20/20. What are the optimal settings for the 20/20 with this cart?

Thank you in advance 😊

Time for a Humminguru.
I read the thread for the Humminguru and it looks interesting . As I was making my way through the various comments , I see you and others mentioned the thunderon conductive brush for static control. I live in southern Ontario and static is a major winter problem . A humidifier helped , but I was considering a Milty Zerostat . Some people appear to suggested that the thunderon works as well so I was looking for some feedback .

I read the thread for the Humminguru and it looks interesting . As I was making my way through the various comments , I see you and others mentioned the thunderon conductive brush for static control. I live in southern Ontario and static is a major winter problem . A humidifier helped , but I was considering a Milty Zerostat . Some people appear to suggested that the thunderon works as well so I was looking for some feedback .
I prefer the Thunderon. It's less annoying to use and works very well when used as directed.

I use my ZeroStat on my coffee grinder now.

I’m a bit compulsive when it comes to my platter bearing. Although I have a VPI, not a MoFi, I clean out and change the platter bearing lubrication every year on an appointed date. Old grease or oil never strikes me as a good thing.
Do you oil the motor spindle as well?

Coffee grinder , the other source of static, does it work :unsure:
Yes, it works great. I have a particular brand of beans I've noticed always generate tons of static, even if I stir in a drop of water before grinding. If I pour the container into the filter basket, zap it a couple times inside and out with the ZeroStat, then tap it again, all the clinging coffee comes right off.

It's just a little more difficult to consistently deionize records, for some reason.

I may get flack from some people, but there isn't some magic audiophile grease.

An audio-branded grease from MoFi, VPI or Pro-Ject likely comes from 55 gallon drums of industrial grease squeezed into a smaller, prettier tube. Turntables are not some high intensity, high specification usage. A simple, easily available grease like Super Lube is more than capable of handling a low speed, low pressure application like a turntable platter. At $6 for 0.5 oz, I'm paying for convenient packaging, not super specifications which aren't required.

The reason I'm compulsive about changing lubrication annually is because I never want the lube to go dry or stiff with oxidation. I control that with annual changes of an appropriate lubricant.

I used the super-lube yesterday and it worked great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back