MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I did an online scan of recommended grease for the MOFI TT spindle and all I really came up with was the recommendation to use ester-based bearing grease. It was implied that the MOFI spindle grease was ester-based . To be clear , I have no experience in the lubrication field , well maybe a bit on the type you drink .
Ester based greases tend to be premium products since ester oil is a synthetic oil. An ester based grease would be akin to Mobile 1 grease in automotive applications; a high quality, low-evaporation grease.

Low evaporation matters to keep a grease from drying out prematurely.

Thanks for the information . Like a lot of the members I agree it still does not justify the high cost for MOFI grease . High profit tends to be in the accessories. With that said I had purchased some along with the styles cleaner which has a strong smell of alcohol so that's what i expect it is .

Thanks for the information . Like a lot of the members I agree it still does not justify the high cost for MOFI grease . High profit tends to be in the accessories. With that said I had purchased some along with the styles cleaner which has a strong smell of alcohol so that's what i expect it is.

Ester-based grease does not have to cost 40 dollars for two ounces or less.

I once purchased Audio Technica stylus cleaner. It works, but 16 bucks for two teaspoons of alcohol with a tiny brush was a bad deal. Worst yet, plain distilled water on my stylus dust brush works equally well.

Ester-based grease does not have to cost 40 dollars for two ounces or less.

I once purchased Audio Technica stylus cleaner. It works, but 16 bucks for two teaspoons of alcohol with a tiny brush was a bad deal. Worst yet, plain distilled water on my stylus dust brush works equally well.
The MOFI LP#9 stylus cleaner is $25 US ,$33 Canadian so its the same issue but a lot of TT manufactures note you have to use their product or there will be warranty issues so I stuck with their product as the master tracker stylus shape really digs the dirt out of the tracks no matter how much I clean the records. Even using this cleaner , the stylus appears a bit discoloured but clean . It may be my imagination as its hard to get a good look .

The MOFI LP#9 stylus cleaner is $25 US ,$33 Canadian so its the same issue but a lot of TT manufactures note you have to use their product or there will be warranty issues so I stuck with their product as the master tracker stylus shape really digs the dirt out of the tracks no matter how much I clean the records. Even using this cleaner , the stylus appears a bit discoloured but clean . It may be my imagination as its hard to get a good look .
Time for a Humminguru.

I have looked at these types of systems but they can be costley . I presently have a vac system that is fine except for some used records so at this point I reclean them a couple of times and the needle catches what I miss so to speak .
Understand about the cost. I moved from a vacuum system to the Humminguru for the same reason.

How has your experience been . On line reviews appear mixed as they always will be .
Can't speak for @Angsty, but I've had mine since launch and it's been a godsend.

There's a pretty lengthy thread on here about the Humminguru in particular, including a couple of users who had issues with theirs and their experience with getting it fixed.

Can't speak for @Angsty, but I've had mine since launch and it's been a godsend.

There's a pretty lengthy thread on here about the Humminguru in particular, including a couple of users who had issues with theirs and their experience with getting it fixed.
I’ve had mine about a year now. It’s been clearly superior cleaning deep in the grooves and the automation makes cleaning more convenient.

I’ve had mine about a year now. It’s been clearly superior in cleaning deep in the grooves and the automation makes cleaning more convenient.
Both you and Kvetcha appear to be happy . Is speed an issue given it appears to clean one record at a time . Do you use just distilled water or add something to help clean .

Both you and Kvetcha appear to be happy . Is speed an issue given it appears to clean one record at a time . Do you use just distilled water or add something to help clean .

It is great. I think the automation and “click it and leave it” factor outweigh the slower speed for me. You can use it with just the water and it works great but add a surfactant like the g sonic or the one HumminGuru sell themselves and it takes its whole cleaning ability up a notch or three.

I use a drop of Groovewasher G-Sonic per tank, and will do 10-15 records per tank (depending on how dirty they are going in). It takes longer in absolute time than a Squeaky Clean, between 7.5 and 15.5 minutes depending on how long you're cleaning and how long you're drying, but the cleaning is absolutely deeper. And I used to let the cleaner soak for 3-5 minutes per side with the Squeaky Clean, so the Humminguru has saved me hours of sitting around. Just pop it in, press a button, and walk away for 15 minutes.

I use a drop of Groovewasher G-Sonic per tank, and will do 10-15 records per tank (depending on how dirty they are going in). It takes longer in absolute time than a Squeaky Clean, between 7.5 and 15.5 minutes depending on how long you're cleaning and how long you're drying, but the cleaning is absolutely deeper. And I used to let the cleaner soak for 3-5 minutes per side with the Squeaky Clean, so the Humminguru has saved me hours of sitting around. Just pop it in, press a button, and walk away for 15 minutes.
I’ve read the best way is a vacuum as a pre clean before ultrasonic, as the US can’t/won’t remove oils/fingerprints on used LPs. Thoughts?

I’ve read the best way is a vacuum as a pre clean before ultrasonic, as the US can’t/won’t remove oils/fingerprints on used LPs. Thoughts?
I think this is correct (or at least accurate in some cases), but my normal process — unless a record is an obvious disaster — is to start with the ulatrasonic and then play it. For a used record, I do two separate runs on the longest wash cycle. If it seems really clean and plays like it, I don’t bother with anything else.

I also replace the water in the ultrasonic bath more than is recommended to avoid dirty water drying back onto the record.

If think the ultrasonic didn’t seem to get everything, I have a Spin Clean (the yellow thing) and a different brush/spray option for manual cleaning. In some instances, I then rinse the record and run it in the ultrasonic again. In multiple instances — but definitely not all — I’ve heard a noticeable improvement. I don’t own a vacuum cleaner, and I can’t justify (in my mind or my wife’s sanity) having two different electronic cleaners taking up space and making noise.

Actually, between the G-Sonic and a second wash cycle I’ve never had issues with fingerprints. I’ve run dollar bin finds through the thing and had them come out spotless. At worst, you could spot treat with a brush or microfiber cloth - no reason for a whole vacuum cycle.

I’ve found fingerprints to be harder to remove. I use a microfiber cloth and surfactant to remove fingerprints that don’t come off in the first pass. Pulling out the vacuum cleaner just to get fingerprints is still a high hurdle.

I use a very diluted homebrew cleaning solution consisting of Method spray detergent and Jet Dry surfactant. It’s the same cleaning solution I used with my vacuum record cleaner.

Just got set up in my new spot with my UltraDeck and encountered a new and frustrating problem.

I noticed the queue lever stopped working, the mechanism that lifts it doesn’t even contact the arm in its upright state anymore.

I then was playing a record and noticed it started skipping and looping on the third track. Getting eye level with it made me see that the arm is actually clipping the record surface it’s so close to it suddenly?

Anyone else experience this and how do I fix it?

Just got set up in my new spot with my UltraDeck and encountered a new and frustrating problem.

I noticed the queue lever stopped working, the mechanism that lifts it doesn’t even contact the arm in its upright state anymore.

I then was playing a record and noticed it started skipping and looping on the third track. Getting eye level with it made me see that the arm is actually clipping the record surface it’s so close to it suddenly?

Anyone else experience this and how do I fix it?
Just to be clear its the arm touching the record? I had noted other people comment on queue lever issues and leaking fluid from the lift , are you seeing any leaks ?

Back