May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 19: AOTY Winner

I don't really concern myself with award shows. Most of the time I don't agree on any of the nominations.

But they picked a great album this time around.

Robert Plant | Alison Krauss ‎– Raising Sand
Rounder Records ‎– 11661-9075-1, 2007/2008

"Optimized for vinyl" reissue - The original pressing cut by Ron McMaster/pressed at United was pretty bad from what I've heard.

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering
Pressed at RTI

cVlntQ.jpg

4lfUGC.jpg

Day 21: An Album To Get Drunk To

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (Big Brother, 2014 pressing)

I suppose there are a few different albums I could listen to whilst drinking but I tend to be a social drinker rather than sitting on my own drinking, so it would likely be an album with songs we can all (badly) sing along to. Oasis are always an instant hit when put on at parties and out at bars, and this album is my favourite of theirs. Songs like 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' and 'Supersonic' even reference drinks so theres that too!

IMG_7181.JPG

Day 21: Album to get drunk to.

Easy pick on this one. I worked at a bar in college in the late 80's/early 90's, and we'd book these guys a couple of times a year. A number of singer / songwriters in the band, but Country Dick Montana was the star of the live show with his larger than life personality. Flipping beer bottles while he was singing, singing crude covers of Lucille, and some of the best audience interaction I've seen. He died (onstage, behind the drum kit) way too early - I've seen iterations of the band since, but nothing matches the joy of those early shows. Take a listen to Loud and Plowed and Live!... on spotify to get a taste of those shows.

Beat Farmers ~ Tales of the New West

IMG_7213.jpg

Day 21: Drinkin'

My old co-workers and I used to meet up and shoot pool and drink a long time ago. Then there was less pool and more drinking/talking. We always played this album in full.

I haven't been to a bar in so long...and now I can really drink to any album, no excuse needed.

Dio ‎– Holy Diver
Warner Bros. Records ‎– 9 23836-1, 1983

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Allied

QYOCyV.jpg

RZbpn3.jpg

Day 21 Bonus: anti-drinking album
Stevie Wonder - Don't Drive Drunk

One of the weirder 12" singles I own (and I also own the 12" single of Eddie Murphy's "Boogie in your Butt" which has the instrumental on the b-side...) This one is a really weird PSA from a movie soundtrack. I believe one of the lines in it is "Mothers against drunk driving/ I'm MADD". Stevie probably shouldn't be driving anyway though so seems like a strange choice of musician to spread the message.

IMG_1074.JPG

Day 20: 2020 hype! (2020 album or an artist who is set to release an album this year)

So thanks to a dodgy electrical circuit I’ve been having random power cuts over the last few days which made playing records a bit scary , all fixed now (water in outside light connects) , so playing catch up ..

I ordered the new one on peach vinyl an age ago but should be out in next few weeks , now there’s a purple and now a picture disc , talk about milking it ...anyhow if it’s half as good as the last one from 2018 it will be fabulous. This was my album of the year in 2018 in good old plain black vinyl with no variations!

Paul Weller “True Meanings” 2018

09C5F547-01A6-468A-AAA4-862696A6EE96.jpeg1E47AB98-694A-4595-969E-FA87E3107710.jpeg

Day 21: Drinkin'

My old co-workers and I used to meet up and shoot pool and drink a long time ago. Then there was less pool and more drinking/talking. We always played this album in full.

I haven't been to a bar in so long...and now I can really drink to any album, no excuse needed.

Dio ‎– Holy Diver
Warner Bros. Records ‎– 9 23836-1, 1983

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Allied

QYOCyV.jpg

RZbpn3.jpg

I

Must

Get

A

Copy

Day 21 - an album to drink to.

Just checked today’s theme so this is very apt. Back in January @Mather posted that he had got two copies of Mr Hands and as I had two copies of Tidal which was oos back then we decided to swap. Tidal arrived in Canada about a week or two later but Mr Hands was no show, both of us thought it was long, long lost. Today, miracle of miracles, a box I wasn’t expecting showed up and inside it was Herbie himself. A whole 18 weeks after posted. Totally unblemished. So I’ve poured myself the first Guinness of the night to celebrate and am giving it a celebratory spin. Thanks @Mather.

783E1642-3E80-4149-86C1-29B0AAC9A931.jpeg

Day 21 - an album to drink to.

Just checked today’s theme so this is very apt. Back in January @Mather posted that he had got two copies of Mr Hands and as I had two copies of Tidal which was oos back then we decided to swap. Tidal arrived in Canada about a week or two later but Mr Hands was no show, both of us thought it was long, long lost. Today, miracle of miracles, a box I wasn’t expecting showed up and inside it was Herbie himself. A whole 18 weeks after posted. Totally unblemished. So I’ve poured myself the first Guinness of the night to celebrate and am giving it a celebratory spin. Thanks @Mather.

View attachment 48195
I think we can claim the longest timeframe PIF in the history of this forum. Absolutely insane, so happy it made it there finally!

Day 21 - Album to get drunk to

Tom makes great drinking music, but even better grass cutting music. I’m guessing phenomenal drunken grass cutting music, but seems too dangerous to try.

View attachment 48155

There’s a reason that light lagers have the nickname Mower.

Miller Lite’s a good Mower. Pabst? Mower. Hamm’s? Mower. Black Label? Bud Lite? Mower Mower Mower.

Full disclosure, I haven’t mowed a lawn in 25 years, but I know people who do.

There’s a reason that light lagers have the nickname Mower.

Miller Lite’s a good Mower. Pabst? Mower. Hamm’s? Mower. Black Label? Bud Lite? Mower Mower Mower.

Full disclosure, I haven’t mowed a lawn in 25 years, but I know people who do.
Never heard that, we just say lawnmower beer. Less efficient I guess!

Back