May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 1 - First album you bought.

4FA5FC75-69E2-4F7B-92A5-4FFA3D894877.jpeg

June of '95.
My first trip to the best record store in the area, SECRET SOUNDS. This record store is legendary in this area to this day because of all the talent that came through there. They were throwing in-house performances for up-and-coming bands that went on to do amazing things including Stereolab and Ivy, and were intimately connected with many bands in the indie scene including Belly and Throwing Muses. Dave Grohl apparently played there at some point with Scream I am guessing because he is wearing a Secret Sounds shirt on the cover of Nirvana's Muddy Banks of the Wishkah album.
SECRET SOUNDS stands out to me because it is one of only two or three records stores I have ever shopped in where they were genuinely helpful and didn't judge you based on what your tastes were.
So, here I am, 14, knowing I am about to buy my first vinyls. It took me hours to decide what to do with the money, and to this day I think back on the ones I passed over and hate myself a little for it. I left with two: the first Foo Fighters album which was still a week away from official release at that point, and this Gigolo Aunts album.
We all know about Foo Fighters, so I am spinning this one. It was a whim purchase. I bought it because I heard the name come up several times over the course of the preceding years, but couldn't place one of their songs... until I spun the album and recognized "Where I Find My Heaven" from Dumb & Dumber. I also bought it because it felt at the time like an album I might not come across again.
And it was used for $4. I miss those prices, but not half as much as I miss the store, which shuttered its doors in Connecticut for good in September of 1999.
If you remember "Where I Find My Heaven," but don't know anything else, I highly recommend going to "Figurine," "Mrs. Washington," and "Flippin' Out" next.
I can't say enough nice things about this album. It's also the only album by them I own, so day 31 of this challenge is going to hurt a little...

Last edited:
Day 1: first record you bought

James Taylor - Sweet Baby James

I bought this used at Boo Boo Records in San Luis Obispo in college (late 1990s). I was always suuuuuuper intimidated by record stores, partly because the employees could be snooty, but probably more because dudes in general loved to be so gate keepery when it came to music. As an adult I realize that a lot of them were probably insecure about the fact that I'd been listening to the Zepplin, Who, Doors, etc albums all my life that they were just discovering as teenagers, but anyway, it worked to intimidate me out of a lot of their spaces when I was young. I remember being extra intimidated by the fact that Boo Boo Records had a music knowledge test to work there. Surely these greasy 20-somethings were musical geniuses! But my buddy Tommy made me go with him. We both grew up loving James Taylor, so to commemorate the occasion I bought this record for like, $4.
2020-05-01 07.21.36 2.jpg

AH! Going to be a tough one this month with packing up to move next week, but I'll play as I'm able.

DAY 1: First Vinyl Purchase

I was gifted an album or three, but the real watershed moment where I bought into the format was most likely my favorite band ever, DIR EN GREY, announcing their first ever vinyl release. And, of course, I had to get the box set edition with DVDs and all that jazz. Thankfully it the album is conceptually flawless, sonically ambitious for even other progressive acts, and ties as my favorite album of theirs (alongside their earlier album Vulgar).

I went on to own I think 6 or 7 copies of Uroboros due to buying both Japanese and American versions of the release as well as additional copies at 2 shows to access the autograph line where 2 of 5 members would be present at random.

Absolutely 0 regrets.

20200501_215918.jpg

As a bonus, here's my humble collection when I moved to Chicago 7 years ago.

Thanks for putting up a Challenge Thread for May @Fleetwood-Matt I think we need a challenge now more than ever. Without further ado...

Day 1: first record you bought
The Beatles - Hey Jude
B7715B4C-0D36-48A4-A754-A8DC4C3EFC1C.jpeg

This is not the first record I ever owned as this was actually purchased for my Beatles loving SO on a whim from a Head Shop in Normal, IL. Perpetually stuck in the late 60’s, Mother Murphy’s mostly sold weed paraphernalia and oversized posters to the local college kids to decorate their dorm rooms but they also had an inordinate amount of really cheap vinyl at a time that records were not yet back in vogue. I had been intrigued by the media for a while but after realizing I could purchase this (along with Bruce Springsteen’s The River) for less than $10 and then spin them on an old All-In-One stereo in the basement, I jumped in head first and haven’t looked back since.

C25B248D-9F0F-464D-8B50-DE47C69A8E3D.jpeg
Day 1 first record I bought. Guided by voices “alien lanes”

Shortly after I got my first job, I already had a turntable and a small stack of vinyl that had been gifted to me, I was really into nirvana and Kurt was such an advocate for indie music, so I was always looking for new stuff I’d never heard, and what an album this was, I was an instant fan. It would be awhile before I really bought much more vinyl, because a CD player in the car was the best thing in the world for music at the time, maybe the CD will make a comeback too 😂

Day 1 - First album you bought.

View attachment 44256

June of '95.
My first trip to the best record store in the area, SECRET SOUNDS. This record store is legendary in this area to this day because of all the talent that came through there. They were throwing in-house performances for up-and-coming bands that went on to do amazing things including Stereolab and Ivy, and were intimately connected with many bands in the indie scene including Belly and Throwing Muses. Dave Grohl apparently played there at some point with Scream I am guessing because he is wearing a Secret Sounds shirt on the cover of Nirvana's Muddy Banks of the Wishkah album.
SECRET SOUNDS stands out to me because it is one of only two or three records stores I have ever shopped in where they were genuinely helpful and didn't judge you based on what your tastes were.
So, here I am, 14, knowing I am about to buy my first vinyls. It took me hours to decide what to do with the money, and to this day I think back on the ones I passed over and hate myself a little for it. I left with two: the first Foo Fighters album which was still a week away from official release at that point, and this Gigolo Aunts album.
We all know about Foo Fighters, so I am spinning this one. It was a whim purchase. I bought it because I heard the name come up several times over the course of the preceding years, but couldn't place one of their songs... until I spun the album and recognized "Where I Find My Heaven" from Dumb & Dumber. I also bought it because it felt at the time like an album I might not come across again.
And it was used for $4. I miss those prices, but not half as much as I miss the store, which shuttered its doors in Connecticut for good in September of 1999.
If you remember "Where I Find My Heaven," but don't know anything else, I highly recommend going to "Figurine," "Mrs. Washington," and "Flippin' Out" next.
I can't say enough nice things about this album. It's also the only album by them I own, so day 31 of this challenge is going to hurt a little...
I love this album, and one of my favourite grabs when I found it in a 99p bin. Mrs Washington was on every compilation I made for at least a decade...

Day 1: First Record I Bought

I don't recall which album I bought first, and because I can't choose the first vinyl(Thanks @Joe Mac )I purchased for myself(before I even had a TT!), I'm gonna go with this:

Cafe Tacvba "El Objeto Antes Llamado Disco/The Object formerly known as Disc(or album)" 2012
View attachment 44077

Although this wasn't the first album I bought from this, it's one of the only vnyl I have from them. This is an album that was recorded completely live in 4 cities around the world (Buenos Aires,México City,Madrid and Los Angeles if I recall correctly). One of the best albums from one of the best Mexican bands ever. This is a strong listen from front to back and this pressing sounds great!

My first album bought from them was 2003's "Cuatro Caminos" but I had been a fan since hearing "Re"(which is one of Mexicos rock masterpieces). If you want to hear some more, feel free to send me a message!

Day 2: We are about halfway to Halloween Play a “Spooky” Album

Over the Garden Wall OST [Harvest Festival Edition, Mondo Pressings 2016]
IMG_20200427_023602.jpg

The Beast is coming!

Come Wayward Souls

Into The Unknown

Day 2: Halfway To Halloween

Walt Disney Studios' Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House

Disneyland ‎– 2507, 1979

Pressed at PRC, Compton

1wAwtM.jpg

KINkEY.jpg

Day 1: The First Album You Bought

The first albums I received were The National's Boxer and a bunch of my dad's stuff from the 80's, but the first ones I bought myself were the NMH albums. Not much for me to choose from on day 31, haha. Oh well, Aeroplane is one of my favorites and I am always glad to give it a spin.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
IMG_2837.jpeg

7D7695D3-EBA1-4EBD-9492-D484F26C2468.jpeg
Day 2 Spoooooky
Love these guys, lead singer has an incredible pleasant voice, There’s even a saxophone solo on this album, but the lyrics are straight satanic.
Saw them open for Irom Maiden a bit ago an with 50k plus people chanting along with them to come together as one for Lucifer’s son. A part of me thought in the back of my mind what if this works and summon the Devil’s kid ? Now I’m not so sure that we didn’t .

Back