May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 1: first record you bought

I've told this story before, but day one requires a repeat...

When I was 12 my parents took me to a Battle Of the Bands at a local high school. My mom wasn't a very music-centric person. My dad loved music and he kickstarted my passion, but when it came to rocking out, he was the squarest of the square. He was more into easy listening, orchestral and classical stuff. And that made it even more special that they recognized I had the bug and took me to watch a bunch of loud, garage hacks on a Friday night to nourish it. I'm eternally grateful, Mom and Pop.

The actual show was pretty forgettable...with a lone exception - one of these ragtag outfits played a cover of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. And I was smitten.

The next week Dad took me to Grant's Department Store - about the only place you could buy a record in our little town - and I shelled out some allowance I'd been saving to buy my first record.

So...in 1973, at the ripe old age of 12, I bought my first record - Black Sabbath 'Paranoid'.

Somehow, someway, 47 years later, I still have that very copy. She could tell some tales if she had a tongue...

20200501_015417.jpg

Day 1: First Record I Bought

I don't recall which album I bought first, and because I can't choose the first vinyl(Thanks @Joe Mac )I purchased for myself(before I even had a TT!), I'm gonna go with this:

Cafe Tacvba "El Objeto Antes Llamado Disco/The Object formerly known as Disc(or album)" 2012
IMG_20200501_002646.jpg

Although this wasn't the first album I bought from this, it's one of the only vnyl I have from them. This is an album that was recorded completely live in 4 cities around the world (Buenos Aires,México City,Madrid and Los Angeles if I recall correctly). One of the best albums from one of the best Mexican bands ever. This is a strong listen from front to back and this pressing sounds great!

My first album bought from them was 2003's "Cuatro Caminos" but I had been a fan since hearing "Re"(which is one of Mexicos rock masterpieces). If you want to hear some more, feel free to send me a message!

Day 1: First Record You Bought
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here

This was one of a handful I first bought. Way before I had a record player to play it on. Used only at the time for wall art in my bedroom during college. This along with a whole bunch of other classic rock albums were my first stack of records to listen to when I finally did get a turntable in the future. Figured this was the best of them to choose here as it has influenced both one of my tattoos as well as my name on this forum and other places on the internet. Still one of my favorites to this day!

Bonus included in the picture is my first CD I got for Easter in 1994. Probably the most important music item I have as it started my obsession with physical music collecting!IMG_20200501_024627.jpg

Day 1 - first record

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I've bought records in three stages of my life and quite frankly can't remember the first record I got. The first with my own money is one of these two - still absolute favourites of mine. An early pressing of still my favourite Steely Dan album, and a first UK mono pressing of one of the all-time greats.

20200501_090637.jpg

20200501_101827.jpg

Last edited:

First record will probably be a more unconventional one since I've come at this both recently and later in life to where it doesn't have the same resonance for a pick as getting your first when you were 10! In that vein will say that the first album I owned was the Top Gun soundtrack cassette my pops gave me as a kid. Only one I had so I flipped that thing back and forth so much while reading Redwall books that even now when I hear a track it conjures specific moments of mice and animals either fighting bloody battles or enjoying wonderful harvests at the Abbey.

Anyway, the first record I bought was last month and was:
Death Stranding (Original Score) - Ludvig Forssell

Death Stranding is a video game that really got under my skin thematically and found myself enveloped by. It's a fairly isolated and contemplative experience if (if) it clicks and for me it really struck a note around anxiety, solitude, identity and the battles we face against and within ourselves. It remains in my mind one of the most cohesive pieces of media focused around that theme to date and the soundtrack (both the score and the chosen tracks/artists) contributes extensively toward this. The music use is infrequent and considered but employed masterfully in certain moments of the journey and the sound engineering is second to none.

DS_FC_3a32d958-fea1-4d85-9636-b7044f3ab56d_1024x.jpg

ds-gate-2_1024x-01ljjp8.jpeg

I actually bought it still at the stage where I was thinking I'd be jumping in further down the line and wanted to 'start' in some way, so really it was my Achilles heel that led to the past month of purchases and commitment to finally getting everything going. Another reason to be thankful.

Couldn't take any pictures because it's currently on its way to me after receiving a shipping notice yesterday (was a pre-order) so popped the artwork up for you to enjoy.

Last edited:
thumbnail_IMG_3626.jpgIMG_3625.jpg

So I had to do a twofer, And Justice is the 1st album (well cassette tape) that I bought with my own money. I was about 12 and went to a Christian school so up until then the heaviest song I heard was Onward Christian soldiers. Funny enough it was my church youth group that would get together and listen to metal while we were supposed to be studying for confirmation class. I pretty much heard this album the first time and went full metalhead, jean jacket with all the band patches, tried to (unsuccessfully) grow out my hair, picked up every metal tape I could find or steal from the Colombia house 12 for a penny. Got called a poser a lot . PS it's a bit early to be playing this, I said I just wouldn't put it on loud, but one doesn't quietly listen to Metallica \m/

My first record was the self proclaimed Son of Rock and Roll. The one and only Rocky Burnette. Who? you may ask. Well I had no idea either. A little over 5 years ago I had just quit smoking and I was looking for a hobby to have something to show for the money I saved by kicking the habit. At first I was just buying PC games but I had a massive collection that I never played so I slowed down on that and bought an Ion record player with the built in speakers. It was a nice day so I went to the outside flea market to start my new hobby. I love music and treated my cds like garbage as a kid so Record collecting seemed fun.

So the first musty crate I dig through I find this dude Rocky Burnette , never heard of him, but he looks awesome. those shades! that hair! that suit ! And only 1 dollar. I showed my wife, she was not impressed, But I say "look he's literally the son of Rock and Roll it says it right on the album cover". She said "you will never listen to this record put it back". I said" I'm going to listen to it 100 times, and I'm buying it dammit."

So it was the summer of Rocky Burnett I put it on and the 1st song is just awesome cheese. It even has a video where he's dressed exactly like he is on the cover (may be his only suit) and driving a firetruck whilst spraying women with a fire hose. I put it on it the car, when I was I was grilling, anytime my wife was around just to prove I would play it 100 times . ( I didn't play the actual record 100 times that would just be torture I'm not that cruel) So yeah Rocky Burnett the son of rock and roll was my first record here it is in all of it's cheesy glory.

Excited to see the challenge thread back! Thanks, @Fleetwood-Matt - didn't even see it until I noticed @LeeVing 's cross post. I will give it a go even though I've got a new baby coming in a few days here :D

Fun fact, the first album I bought on CD and then later on vinyl are the same! The first album I bought on cassette on the other hand was Doggystyle, which was then immediately confiscated by my parents 😂

Excited to see the challenge thread back! Thanks, @Fleetwood-Matt - didn't even see it until I noticed @LeeVing 's cross post. I will give it a go even though I've got a new baby coming in a few days here :D

Fun fact, the first album I bought on CD and then later on vinyl are the same! The first album I bought on cassette on the other hand was Doggystyle, which was then immediately confiscated by my parents 😂
Congrats on the upcoming baby! Make sure day 14 is it's first music listening experience.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

My first tape purchase was in like first grade: Aaron Carter (maybe self-titled?) First CD I bought was Everclear's Songs From an American Movie Vol. 1: Learning How to Smile, in fifth or sixth grade. My first vinyl purchase was Arcade Fire's Funeral in the summer of 2005, from Rotate This in Toronto, on their old Queen Street location before moving to Ossington. I think it was my first ever trip to proper record store. "Rebellion (Lies)" had been a pretty big hit on Canadian radio the previous fall and "Neighbourhood #3" was huge in the winter. I didn't listen to anything even remotely "indie rock" at the time, but those two songs were really intriguing.

I spent the day downtown with a friend I had a massive crush on, and then later in the afternoon went with a couple others to what became the longest game in Blue Jays history. (Only because of this fact was I able to find out it was exactly July 28, 2005). My dad bought a new preamp and hooked up his old Pioneer turntable to his computer and we ripped it to Audacity so I could listen to it. I didn't get my first turntable till about three years later. Still when I "hear" this album in my mind it's those scratchy vinyl rip mp3s.

IMG_20200501_092458.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1 - First Record You Bought

For my 11th birthday in ‘96, I got a CD boom box and money to buy CDs. I went to Best Buy and bought 4: Siamese Dream, Weezer blue album, the Bends, and 311’s S/T. 3 of these are still among my favorite albums of all time (sorry, 311).

I can’t remember why exactly, but I started to get interested in vinyl in 2005. This was the first record I bought off of eBay. It was like 20-30 bucks sealed (which wasn’t that weird at the time for a mostly-still-dead medium). I’d find out later it was a first pressing and early-ish use of color vinyl.

CEABF97B-72C6-44DE-B5C3-2D0E4EDD9FD7.jpeg
1E0D4560-7F71-4964-80B4-D79C84D025ED.jpeg

Thanks so much for setting this up @Fleetwood-Matt, looks to be a solid list so I cant wait to dig in!

This is actually a tricky one and I have been chatting to my girlfriend to work out what it could have been. I started to buy vinyl around 10 years ago and we were well into the download/streaming era, so it began as somewhat of a novelty. I have always had a keen interest in design (many years later I became an Architect) and would tinker around with anything that was designed well to see how it worked. After looking in the spare rooms at my dad's parents place, we found my Grandfathers old Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1000 and over the following days I took it all apart and fixed it up. I also found a stack of records that were my dads (lots of Bowie and the like) and loved the tangibility of them and thus my vinyl obsession started. For the next few weeks, I started buying records at carboot sales (for around 50p at a time!) so I can't quite remember the exact first one I bought, although the Johnny Cash sticks in my mind as an early one and maybe the first. I also remember going to my local second-hand/junk shop around the same time and buying these other 2 (the owner had just got the Dirk Wears White Sox and said it was a must-have, although I had never heard it at the time). So, sorry if it's cheating, but I'm pretty sure one of these 3 was the first record I bought!

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (Harvest, 1977 5th Pressing)
Adam And The Ants - Dirk Wears White Sox (Do It Records, 1979 First Pressing)
Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash At San Quentin (CBS, 1969 First Pressing)

IMG_6483.JPG
IMG_6485.JPG
IMG_6484.JPG

Day 1 - First Record You Bought

For my 11th birthday in ‘96, I got a CD boom box and money to buy CDs. I went to Best Buy and bought 4: Siamese Dream, Weezer blue album, the Bends, and 311’s S/T. 3 of these are still among my favorite albums of all time (sorry, 311).

I can’t remember why exactly, but I started to get interested in vinyl in 2005. This was the first record I bought off of eBay. It was like 20-30 bucks sealed (which wasn’t that weird at the time for a mostly-still-dead medium). I’d find out later it was a first pressing and early-ish use of color vinyl.

View attachment 44113
View attachment 44115

This was actually my first record as well. Got off ebay around 2000/2001.

Back