May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Oh I didn't consider that lol. Honestly if you have nothing that fits the theme (like not everyone is gonna have a pop album for day 17) just get creative and get as close to the theme as you can. Its encouraged that you write alittle about your pick and explain it (though not necessary at all) so if you cam perfectly fit a theme just explain why the album you pick is close enough to the theme
HAHA cool I just didn't want to get disqualified at the very end because the goofball I got for my 1st record never made another one .

I can honestly say that I have no idea what record I bought first.

I think I know a few early records that I owned first....and I know the first record I bought new....as everything was used when I first started collecting.

I'm gonna go with the "first new record"...as I can then use that band later in the month.

I can honestly say that I have no idea what record I bought first.

I think I know a few early records that I owned first....and I know the first record I bought new....as everything was used when I first started collecting.

I'm gonna go with the "first new record"...as I can then use that band later in the month.

I can tell you for a fact the first two albums I ever bought, one was new and one was used.
I can also tell you I am going to have to get creative on day 31... they’re the only albums by these bands I own.

I can tell you for a fact the first two albums I ever bought, one was new and one was used.
I can also tell you I am going to have to get creative on day 31... they’re the only albums by these bands I own.
The first album I ever bought was used, and while the artist put out many albums, I've never bought another. I miiiiiiight have a greatest hits album by the dude from my parents' collection. Fingers crossed!

Oooooooh! We are on first albums!

my first albums were all on cd

First one bought for me was Bryan Adams Greatest Hits. First one I bought for myself was Parklife.

My first vinyl record is still my favourite one that I own and I bought it 6 years before I got a turntable!

Day 1: The First Record That You Bought

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The first album that I bought on vinyl was the In Rainbows diskbox on release in 2007, I didn’t get a turntable until 2013...

Still my favourite out of all the releases that I own.

View attachment 44017View attachment 44018

Is there a rule against posting same albums? I was going to make my first post of In Rainbows tomorrow too 🤣🤘🔥

TWINS!

Is there a rule against posting same albums? I was going to make my first post of In Rainbows tomorrow too 🤣🤘🔥

TWINS!

There used to be on the old challenge threads but I don’t see it on @Fleetwood-Matt‘s first post so probably not. I remember having the convo with you before about us both buying the diskbox years before we got turntables!

Last edited:
There used to be on the old challenge threads but I don’t see it on @Fleetwood-Matt‘s first post so probably not. I remembee having the convo with you before about us both buying the diskbox years before we got turntables!

Guess I was so focused on the rules of the raffle i completely overlooked some basic rules of the challenge. Gonna update the first post with some. Dont play the same album will def be added

Day 1: The First Record That You Bought

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The first album that I bought on vinyl was the In Rainbows diskbox on release in 2007, I didn’t get a turntable until 2013...

Still my favourite out of all the releases that I own.

View attachment 44017View attachment 44018

Just want to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE that lamp.

The first album I ever bought was used, and while the artist put out many albums, I've never bought another. I miiiiiiight have a greatest hits album by the dude from my parents' collection. Fingers crossed!

I remember my first Cassette and CD, but I didn't buy them. My first records were those Gremlins Read Along books, but I didn't buy them.
My first albums I bought were probably on Cassette. Don't remember that one, either.

I guess me actually doing the purchasing wasn't that thrilling to me to keep in the memory bank.

I can only remember the first new vinyl because it is one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands - and they are still going...slowly, but still going - and that new records at this time and location was a bit odd.

I remember my first Cassette and CD, but I didn't buy them. My first records were those Gremlins Read Along books, but I didn't buy them.
My first albums I bought were probably on Cassette. Don't remember that one, either.

I guess me actually doing the purchasing wasn't that thrilling to me to keep in the memory bank.

I can only remember the first new vinyl because it is one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands - and they are still going...slowly, but still going - and that new records at this time and location was a bit odd.
I meant first record, per the topic. The first album I every bought myself was on cassette: Ugly Kid Joe - America's Least Wanted 😂 I'm pretty sure, at least.

I don't remember my first record, cassette, or CD that I didn't buy. I had records and tapes my whole life. I received several CD's at once when I got my first CD player in highschool, but I don't remember them exactly.

I meant first record, per the topic. The first album I every bought myself was on cassette: Ugly Kid Joe - America's Least Wanted 😂 I'm pretty sure, at least.

I don't remember my first record, cassette, or CD that I didn't buy. I had records and tapes my whole life. I received several CD's at once when I got my first CD player in highschool, but I don't remember them exactly.

My early source of records was when I was in high school and an antique mall where a booth had a bunch of great stuff I was into....it was where I got a lot of my 45 collection, too. As for albums, there was Elvis Costello, Roxy Music, The Clash, XTC, Devo. I just don't specifically remember if any of these were the "first" or not.

First cassette I received was Duran Duran - Arena - Christmas 1984
First CD I received was Pump Up The Volume Soundtrack - Christmas 1991

I had to then wait and buy a CD player a few months later.

But since discussing this here, I think I am remembering something I bought off a neighbor of a friend....before I had a turntable to listen to it. It was probably my first "purchase", but I don't usually think of 45 singles for these challenge threads.

Day 1: First Purchase.

As mentioned, I don't remember the first record I bought...it could be a handful of possibilities.

This is the one I know was the first I bought new. By 1996 I was in college - anxiously waiting for this album to be released in a few weeks when I happened to be in the right place at the right time. This album was released 2 weeks early on vinyl, so I know I had it before the CD was released.

This was also around the time when when stores really didn't carry new vinyl where I was...used stores were ok at best. It was a shock that I even found this one.

Tool ‎– Ænima
Zoo Entertainment/BMG ‎– 72445 11087 1, 1996

DbZ0lS.jpg

bQY3bf.jpg

A possible "first purchase" was this shaped 7" UK picture disc I bought from my friends neighbor...but that antique mall was also around this same time...My memory is shit anymore. (it was cheap because the one ear is broken off)

Ml6IIe.jpg

oSv3Ok.jpg

Last edited:
Back