March 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Here It Goes Again

MARCH 23
WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY
Today is World Meteorological Day, according to the internet! Play something about the environment or by a well-known environmentalist.

environment-conscious prog...

Nektar – Recycled
Passport Records – PPSD-98011, 1975/1976

US test Pressing

Cut at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

BhazgQ.jpg

Pahgyk.jpg

di84WA.jpg

MARCH 24
YOU SAY IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY
Happy birthday to me! Celebrate by playing something you think I would approve of. 😏

🍻 to all fellow March birthdays!!

Since the search function is a FUBAR, I couldn't really go back and look at prior spins, but looking at what other people posted I think I have a general idea of what you would approve of....I think.

Poe – Haunted
eOne Music – EOM-LP-46080, 2000/2019

#RSD19 - Books-A-Million exclusive

Cut by David Cheppa
Pressed at Rainbo

vFn3lj.jpg

6ysKqw.jpg

MARCH 25
QUARANTUNES
Play an album that helped you get through lockdown.

Since I was considered an "essential worker", I never got any sort of lockdown.

We got our first Covid patient on our floor on March 4th, 2020 - and over 2 years later we had a day where we had 0 Covid patients on the floor.

I am still completely shocked I never got it, before or after getting the 3 doses of the vaccine.

I got this record the summer of 2020 and I think I have played more than anything else in the last 2 years.

Slipknot – Slipknot
Roadrunner Records – RR 8655-1, 1999/2020

Pressed at Precision/GZ

m2spse.jpg

F8geZA.jpg

I'm skipping to yesterday's theme because I wanted to listen to what I picked...I'll be going back to catching up after.

MARCH 29
TWO FOR TUESDAY
Play an album you own on multiple formats. (Whether it be vinyl, CD, tape, digital, etc.)

I first was going to do something I had an SACD of - but then noticed that this was popping up on various formats.

Talking Heads – Naked
Sire – 1-25654, 1988

Pressed at Allied

YDIq6q.jpg

Vkcgrr.jpg

I actually have 2 copies of this on vinyl, too. (And both are the same pressing, so condition is probably the only reason for having 2)

ZelFKP.jpg

MARCH 30
SPRING HAS SPRUNG
With March coming to a close and April just around the corner, we're officially entering the spring season. Play an album that makes you think of springtime.

I always struggle a bit with the seasonal asks, and probably none more than Spring. It's probably a mix of my music moods and general curation but it's a toughie. I saw this band last week after my usual winter live show hiatus and it felt like the first time I just had straight out fun at a show in a long time. High energy, great sing-along music, and a crowd pumped to be out of the house after winter...even if it was 40 and rainy outside. Plus, this album's acoustic which just hits those Spring vibes for me. Not even trying a photo with the server this wonky right now

Bleachers - MTV Unplugged

MARCH 30
SPRING HAS SPRUNG
With March coming to a close and April just around the corner, we're officially entering the spring season. Play an album that makes you think of springtime.

I'm going to interpret this one a little differently in that I'm picking an album that reminds me of the spring of my life. I couldn't get into Poison when I was young and was always confused by their popularity growing up. But as I've gotten older I find myself streaming their songs pretty often. Decided it was high time to get something on vinyl and grabbed this anniversary pressing. A lot of these glam reissues sound fantastic. Really pleased with this one too.

Look What The Cat Dragged In

IMG_20220330_103546.jpg

MARCH 26
RIP TAYLOR HAWKINS
Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins has sadly passed away at the young age of 50. Deciding at the last second to change this theme to honor the musician. You can either play something that Hawkins was featured on, or just an album with great drumming in general.

RIP

Foo Fighters – In Your Honor
RCA/Roswell Records/BMG – 82876 68038-1, 2005

4 LP, 45 RPM version

DMM cut by Steve Berson at Europadisk

0jnIuU.jpg

RQGxef.jpg

MARCH 29
TWO FOR TUESDAY
Play an album you own on multiple formats. (Whether it be vinyl, CD, tape, digital, etc.)

Caribou - Up in Flames

This is an easy one, because I lived most of my life in a world of CDs, so A LOT of my vinyl collection has a CD counterpart. I'm going with this one, because not only did I already have it on CD when I got the record, but there was another CD in there with the vinyl, so I have it on vinyl and twice on CD (plus my original CD has a bonus disc... so 3 CDs to 1 slab o' vinyl).

20200208_161824.jpg

I'm skipping to yesterday's theme because I wanted to listen to what I picked...I'll be going back to catching up after.

MARCH 29
TWO FOR TUESDAY

I first was going to do something I had an SACD of - but then noticed that this was popping up on various formats.

Talking Heads – Naked
Sire – 1-25654, 1988

Pressed at Allied

YDIq6q.jpg

Vkcgrr.jpg

I actually have 2 copies of this on vinyl, too. (And both are the same pressing, so condition is probably the only reason for having 2)

ZelFKP.jpg

That's a gorgeous chimp.

March 30
Spring has Sprung

Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha

3AB4DDA2-B2EE-4505-8ED1-24920C6319E8.jpeg

When I first saw today's theme the first song that sprung (ha) to mind was Spring, from Saint Etienne:

"It's only springtime, ooh
You're too young to say you're through with love
It's only springtime and I'll be different boy
I promise you, I swear to you"

This album also has a fun, breezy feel throughout, including their great cover of Uncle Neil's Only Love Can Break Your Heart.

Day 28: RESPECT YOUR CAT DAY 🐈‍⬛
According to Google, some celebrate March 28th as Respect Your Cat Day. Play an album that involves cats or that you think your feline friends would appreciate. Bonus points if you include a picture of a cat

Royal Trux - Cats & Dogs
F438F011-2D10-4950-A3EA-A195B0167B51.jpeg
6028A72E-F11D-4172-A619-682FB7AA7DED.jpeg
Neither Royal Trux nor Talulah gives a fuck and both are fucking awesome because of it.

Day 30: SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Little Wings - Light Green Leaves
CCFF76EE-08B2-42F4-A42F-5D28490B1A93.jpeg

This record always reminds me of Spring. Kyle Fields’ brand of Lo-fi Folk begs to be enjoyed amongst nature or a the very least sung along to loudly around a warm campfire under a blanket of stars.

It will probably be added around midnight tonight. Just keep an eye out 👀
Thanks for playing along this month btw. I think the reason you were caught off guard was that I think I misread the sign up thread when I was putting it together for this year and I read your previous request to lead a challenge in 2021 as a new request to lead a challenge for 2022. Sorry for the confusion and I hope you had fun regardless. I have enjoyed myself a great deal.

Back