March 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Here It Goes Again

gaporter

Well, well, well. Looks like somebody put me in charge of one of these things again. This can only go so well.

Welcome, forum friends, to the March 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thead! I'm honored to be running another of these, one of the more fun and interesting cornerstones of our little piece of the internet. I have a feeling most of you already know what this is all about by now, so I'll go ahead and get to the stuff y'all wanna know about.

I'm shamelessly stealing @Wicked Dreamer's idea from a while back of doing daily reveals, though I'm putting a slight twist on it. Every five days, I'll reveal the next five themes. So, for example, on the 6th, the themes for days 6-10 will be revealed, and so on until the end of the month. It probably sounds more confusing than it is, but I figured it was a nice way to both give people the chance to plan ahead some while also keeping some surprises in store.

Also, there will be a raffle to win a $50 Bandcamp gift card once the month is over! The only thing you need to do to be in the running is to post a record for every day.

And I think that's it! I hope everyone enjoys this month and is able to work with the themes I've prepared. Like last time, I tried to leave some wiggle room but I'm also not going to be strict about what does or doesn't fit. Themes are open to interpretation! This is still supposed to be fun so don't stress yourself out overthinking anything. Just try your best!

And now on to the themes....

THE FIRST FIVE (1-5)
MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
Pay respects to the early pioneers by playing an album that you don't think the history of music would be the same without.

MARCH 2
MOVE YOUR FEET
It's time to dance!🕺💃

MARCH 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH
Play an album you love from a band or genre you usually don't like.

MARCH 4
GENRE ROULETTE
Play an album that is impossible to categorize under a single genre.

MARCH 5
THE 90S CALLED, THEY WANT THEIR ALBUM BACK
Play an album that you feel is quintessentially 90s.
Play something that's fun to listen to!

MARCH 7
DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER
Play a great album with a not-so-great album cover.

MARCH 8
INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY
Give shine to the women in your collection! Bonus points for playing an album by a band with all female members.

MARCH 9
DARE TO BE STUPID
Play something by an artist that has been parodied by the great "Weird Al" Yankovic.

MARCH 10
HOW'D THAT GET THERE?
This is a day for the forgotten corners of your collection that even the dust doesn't know is there. Dig deep and see if you can find something you didn't even know you had or that you don't remember buying.
Play an album with 11 tracks.

MARCH 12
ANGER MANAGEMENT
Play something angry! 😡

MARCH 13
NO SHAME DAY
Play an album in your collection that you love wholeheartedly - even if you might tell others it's just a guilty pleasure.

MARCH 14
THE LOUDNESS WAR RAGES ON
Rick Rubin turned 59 today on Thursday! Honor the legendary producer by playing something that he produced. (Or something else that's bound to shatter some eardrums).

MARCH 15
BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH
Et tu, Brute? Play an album that references death or murder.
Play a break-up album or one with songs about heartbreak.

MARCH 17
ST. PATRICK'S DAY
Happy St. Patrick's Day! Celebrate by doing one of two things: 1) play an album by an Irish artist or 2) play an album you feel lucky to have found, for whatever reason.

MARCH 18
ONE FOR THE NIGHTHAWKS
Play an album that you feel is best enjoyed at night.

MARCH 19
DAVID LYNCH DAY
45 years ago today, David Lynch's debut film Eraserhead hit theaters. Play something surreal or experimental.

MARCH 20
EAR CANDY
Play something with immaculate production values.
Play something with a famous album cover.

MARCH 22
GET BACK
The Beatles' first album, Please Please Me, was released on this day in 1963. Play something by or related to one of the Fab Four.

MARCH 23
WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY
Today is World Meteorological Day, according to the internet! Play something about the environment or by a well-known environmentalist.

MARCH 24
YOU SAY IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY
Happy birthday to me! Celebrate by playing something you think I would approve of. 😏

MARCH 25
QUARANTUNES
Play an album that helped you get through lockdown.
Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins has sadly passed away at the young age of 50. Deciding at the last second to change this theme to honor the musician. You can either play something that Hawkins was featured on, or just an album with great drumming in general.

MARCH 27
BLAST TO THE PAST
Play a modern album with a throwback sound.

MARCH 28
RESPECT YOUR CAT DAY
According to Google, some celebrate March 28th as Respect Your Cat Day. Play an album that involves cats or that you think your feline friends would appreciate. Bonus points if you include a picture of a cat

MARCH 29
TWO FOR TUESDAY
Play an album you own on multiple formats. (Whether it be vinyl, CD, tape, digital, etc.)

MARCH 30
SPRING HAS SPRUNG
With March coming to a close and April just around the corner, we're officially entering the spring season. Play an album that makes you think of springtime.
Play the final album by a band or artist.

Last edited:
MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
Pay respects to the early pioneers by playing an album that you don't think the history of music would be the same without.

Can never go wrong with this album. My own history of music wouldn't be the same had I not seen the laser show of this when I was a kid.

Pink Floyd - The Wall

16461424439176817497030693469695.jpg
And if any of you haven't seen Legion then you're missing out.

MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

The pressure that Public Enemy were under prior to this record was tremendous. The willingness of Chuck D. to take all of it head on, call it out for what it was, and push back showed that rap could be just as punk as punk.

Public Enemy ~ Fear of a Black Planet

1646155914281.png

MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
In a career full of highly influential and era-defining masterworks, is it controversial to say that Ziggy Stardust may be Bowie's single most impactful musical statement? The DNA of this album is imbedded in a countless number of albums that came after it, and almost none of them could even hope to hold a candle to what Bowie and company achieved 50 years ago. Rest in Power, Starman.
20220301_171133.jpg

MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

Let's see how long I can keep up. I need an excuse to spin some new stuff anyway. Like this pickup from a band who really gave 60s rock a totally different direction to go in - gritty, dark, unsettled. It still feels raw and energetic...

The Doors - S/T

PXL_20220301_221353988.jpg

MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

Let's see how long I can keep up. I need an excuse to spin some new stuff anyway. Like this pickup from a band who really gave 60s rock a totally different direction to go in - gritty, dark, unsettled. It still feels raw and energetic...

The Doors - S/T

View attachment 130751
As hard as I try I can't get into the doors at all, I have tried so many times but alas it just bores me to death, am I a bad Person!

Time to get started.

March 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

16461772325528809555008224415685.jpg

Among the, if not most, important groups in the origins of post-punk. I have a certain band from last year to thank for being the primary motivating factor in familiarizing myself with the genre, past and present.

Last edited:
MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

From the Wik:
Black Sabbath appropriated the blue note from the standard pentatonic blues scale and developed a heavy metal riff. The main riff is an inversion of a tritone, constructed with a harmonic progression including a diminished fifth / augmented fourth. This particular interval is often known as diabolus in musica, for it has musical qualities which are often used to suggest Satanic connotations in Western music.The song "Black Sabbath" was one of the earliest examples in heavy metal to make use of this interval, and since then, the genre has made extensive use of diabolus in musica.

IMG_0181.JPG

Thanks for running March @gaporter !!

Back