Magnolia Record Club

Well, I quite like this. Some of the discovery picks are hard to put your finger on. This is folksy and poppy, but bluesy and his voice shouldn’t work but not unlike Daniel Norgren, there’s an earnestness to his performance that elevates his voice. In fact, it’s kind of like if Norgren played piano, but that’s still not it. Anyhow, I dig it a lot even if I can’t really explain it to you.

Well, I quite like this. Some of the discovery picks are hard to put your finger on. This is folksy and poppy, but bluesy and his voice shouldn’t work but not unlike Daniel Norgren, there’s an earnestness to his performance that elevates his voice. In fact, it’s kind of like if Norgren played piano, but that’s still not it. Anyhow, I dig it a lot even if I can’t really explain it to you.

Norgren does play piano :)

1575180746019.png

The Record of the Month for December is Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits, a compilation of an incredible group of female artists re-interpreting classic tunes by legendary singer-songwriter Tom Waits. Compiled in honor of his 70th birthday in December of this year, you’ll find contributions by Aimee Mann, Patty Griffin, Corinne Bailey Rae, Joseph, Angie McMahon, Rosanne Cash, Phoebe Bridgers, and many more.

Another Comp, how unexciting, beginning to not like this partnership with Dualtone.

1575180835615.png

The timeless qualities of traditional tunes can carry us across oceans and eons, linking us not only to the past but to each other as well. It was under the banner of those eternal connections that the trio of Bonny Light Horseman came together. From Wisconsin festival fields and a German art hub to a snowy upstate studio and everywhere in between, the astral folk outfit—comprised of Anaïs Mitchell, Eric D. Johnson, and Josh Kaufman—is mixing the ancient, mystical medium of transatlantic traditional folk music with a contemporary, collective brush. The resulting album, Bonny Light Horseman, is an elusive kind of sonic event: a bottled blend of lightning and synergy that will excite fans of multiple genres, eras, and ages.

Mitchell, the esteemed singer-songwriter whose Broadway smash Hadestown recently won “Best Musical” plus seven other trophies at the 2019 Tony Awards, met the indie rock stalwart Johnson a few years back through that thoroughly modern platform, Twitter. Best known for the Fruit Bats project he has helmed for two decades as well as for stints in The Shins and Califone, Johnson had been friends with producer and instrumentalist Kaufman (Craig Finn, Josh Ritter, The National, Bob Weir) for 10 years. Kaufman and Mitchell were already acquainted; together, the three made an unmistakable artistic connection, and had just begun experimenting when an invitation to perform at the 2018 Eaux Claires festival came from the fest’s co-founders, Justin Vernon and Aaron Dessner. Encouraged by the natural ease and intuitive bond they felt while sketching musical ideas in early sessions, the Eaux Claires play provided a target of sorts and they seized upon the opportunity to form the band in an official capacity.

Each musician brought their own musical ideas to the rehearsals and the direction toward traditional songs from the British Isles emerged quickly. “I think it’s fair to say we are all inspired by traditional music in different ways,” Mitchell says. “We wanted to rework old songs but not in a ‘research project’ way. The emotions, the feeling of momentousness, the openness—even the chords being in open tuning—we wanted everything to be wide open. It was very healing to delve into these old stories and images that have existed for so long that you can rest in them.”

Add their debut album Bonny Light Horseman which includes an exclusive signed lyric card for just $20!

View attachment 24480

The Record of the Month for December is Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits, a compilation of an incredible group of female artists re-interpreting classic tunes by legendary singer-songwriter Tom Waits. Compiled in honor of his 70th birthday in December of this year, you’ll find contributions by Aimee Mann, Patty Griffin, Corinne Bailey Rae, Joseph, Angie McMahon, Rosanne Cash, Phoebe Bridgers, and many more.

Another Comp, how unexciting, beginning to not like this partnership with Dualtone.
I’m actually really excited about this one.

Also Magnolia released way more comps than Vinyl Den did.

They have but at least they were same artist comps. If they are going to do them I prefer they do them like they did with David Ramirez and Judah and The Lion. So many good records that need this be on vinyl and I think their picks are getting more uninspiring every month.

They have but at least they were same artist comps. If they are going to do them I prefer they do them like they did with David Ramirez and Judah and The Lion. So many good records that need this be on vinyl and I think their picks are getting more uninspiring every month.
I’m usually only not surprised by like Lumineers and Holcomb, I mean we know we’re getting Lone Bellow because no pre-sale...

agreed. These comps are cool for a one time listen butI don’t need them permanently in my collection. My sub is staying paused this month

Not sure how I feel about this Christmas Comp, the Lone Bellow Marshmallow World is downright awful. Once it gets to Longhorns Slim, I started enjoying it right to the end. But most of side a is a hard pass after one listen.

I’m not quite halfway through The Brook and the Bluff and I quite like this.

Not sure how I feel about this Christmas Comp, the Lone Bellow Marshmallow World is downright awful. Once it gets to Longhorns Slim, I started enjoying it right to the end. But most of side a is a hard pass after one listen.

I’m not quite halfway through The Brook and the Bluff and I quite like this.

That's a bummer on The Lone Bellow - They're one of my favorites. Now I'm nervous about putting this on my TT.

Back