Magnolia Record Club

Am I wrong in thinking that they have really taken a hit in the star power of the artists they are procuring RoTM for? Just looking back a few years you had Maggie Rogers, Better Oblivion Community Center, The Head and the Heart, The Lumineers, and Wilco in 2019. They had Nathaniel Rateliff, Jason Isbell, Mt. Joy, Phoebe Bridgers, My Morning Jacket, and Dolly Partson in 2020. I feel like it took them until November (War on Drugs) to get an actual exclusive at the level of those other artists in 2021 in November (I'm not counting Indie Brandi sorry), and the first three months of 2022 are...fine.

Nevermind the weird delayed announcement on Dualtone artists and other ones.

I mean I'm out so it's some unnecessary piling on but they're just so poorly run at this point.

First time posting here and was wondering if there's a general consensus on MRC. I read over and saw some negativity toward the recent ROTM selections, but was wondering a little about customer service and store purchase experience.

I'm a VMP subscriber and just noticed Magnolia has some artists that I'm looking for. Are there any real perks to joining, or if I see an album I'm interested in, should I just grab it? I haven't seen anything that says free shipping for members or any real discounts, which VMP has. What's their process for records that come damaged or with sound issues? Is shipping fulfilled quickly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First time posting here and was wondering if there's a general consensus on MRC. I read over and saw some negativity toward the recent ROTM selections, but was wondering a little about customer service and store purchase experience.

I'm a VMP subscriber and just noticed Magnolia has some artists that I'm looking for. Are there any real perks to joining, or if I see an album I'm interested in, should I just grab it? I haven't seen anything that says free shipping for members or any real discounts, which VMP has. What's their process for records that come damaged or with sound issues? Is shipping fulfilled quickly?

For what it is, the service is really good. The biggest gripe with their curation is the lack of different artists year after year. Customer service is top notch, they are like VMP. Send them a video or picture, and they’ll provide a replacement. I greatly enjoy the curation because those artists are my cup of tea.

First time posting here and I come seeking a thing

DOES ANYONE have a copy of the Goth Babe S/T compilation that MRC did? I will happily pay good money for a copy

Thank you in advance

So I know I'm a negative nancy here on it, but I'll try to give a balanced viewpoint

The perks to joining aren't that huge coming from a VMP perspective. So you can either sign up month to month, for a quarter, or for a year. I think the quarter is a dollar cheaper than month to month and a year is two dollars cheaper per month, but if you go quarter/year you can't skip a month - you have to take a record or swap. The shipping is included in the monthly fee but does not extend to store purchases, only the RotM or Discovery Track. The discovery track comes in at $20 shipped if you get a record in that month, which can be pretty nice and is wholly optional. The records in the club, for the most part, are club exclusives though occasionally they will find their way into the store or even more rarely on a separate stock pressing to buy. Their swaps tend to be rather limited and unless you really dig their genre choices, you'll probably run out of worthwhile swap choices quickly.

I hadn't tried in a while, but my experience with customer service was very positive. I had to replace one record and pester them a few times on other ones and I always got quick (24-48 hour) replies with the resolution I wanted. They didn't balk at sending an additional copy. My understanding is that it was fairly VMP like without the frequency of defects or issues you see from VMP. They don't require you to send back damaged items either. Shipping is very hamstrung by Old Hickory, their local post office, and the surrounding larger hubs. In good months, you'd have a record by the 10th. In bad months? Could be three times as long. I'd say 15th is about average.

My current thought with them is that if they get a RotM I really want, I'll sign back up for a month to get it and drop again. I'd have no concerns about getting what you want, but as an ongoing value it's harder to justify. The demand for most of these records just isn't there in the marketplace and you'll often see their choices on other pressings come in cheaper at retail - I think I only have one or two records from Magnolia I could make my money back on at this point (and one of those was repressed outside of the club). For a longer term sub, I can't recommend as their curation and access to exclusives has taken a real nose dive.

View attachment 96526

First time posting here and I come seeking a thing

DOES ANYONE have a copy of the Goth Babe S/T compilation that MRC did? I will happily pay good money for a copy

Thank you in advance
10 months too late lol

Apparently they are being sold on tour but unfortunately i cant make it to a tour date cuz they aren't coming near here for a normal show (just Okechobee fest)

Make sure you like Dualtone's roster because you will be getting a lot of those picks as ROTM and Discovery records. Personally I liked the club better when Drew Holcomb owned it.

1645114309075.png

So I know I'm a negative nancy here on it, but I'll try to give a balanced viewpoint

The perks to joining aren't that huge coming from a VMP perspective. So you can either sign up month to month, for a quarter, or for a year. I think the quarter is a dollar cheaper than month to month and a year is two dollars cheaper per month, but if you go quarter/year you can't skip a month - you have to take a record or swap. The shipping is included in the monthly fee but does not extend to store purchases, only the RotM or Discovery Track. The discovery track comes in at $20 shipped if you get a record in that month, which can be pretty nice and is wholly optional. The records in the club, for the most part, are club exclusives though occasionally they will find their way into the store or even more rarely on a separate stock pressing to buy. Their swaps tend to be rather limited and unless you really dig their genre choices, you'll probably run out of worthwhile swap choices quickly.

I hadn't tried in a while, but my experience with customer service was very positive. I had to replace one record and pester them a few times on other ones and I always got quick (24-48 hour) replies with the resolution I wanted. They didn't balk at sending an additional copy. My understanding is that it was fairly VMP like without the frequency of defects or issues you see from VMP. They don't require you to send back damaged items either. Shipping is very hamstrung by Old Hickory, their local post office, and the surrounding larger hubs. In good months, you'd have a record by the 10th. In bad months? Could be three times as long. I'd say 15th is about average.

My current thought with them is that if they get a RotM I really want, I'll sign back up for a month to get it and drop again. I'd have no concerns about getting what you want, but as an ongoing value it's harder to justify. The demand for most of these records just isn't there in the marketplace and you'll often see their choices on other pressings come in cheaper at retail - I think I only have one or two records from Magnolia I could make my money back on at this point (and one of those was repressed outside of the club). For a longer term sub, I can't recommend as their curation and access to exclusives has taken a real nose dive.
That's really helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to outline everything. The gist is that it seems like more of a month-to-month thing for me, personally. With the slight per month savings, it doesn't seem like it's worth paying up front. I think I've been good signing up for a year of VMP, as I've been able to find something each month that I like, plus there's a ton of variety in swaps.

I'll keep an eye out to see if they have something that I like some month and pull the trigger. My interest at the moment was some store titles and the genre or music they sell. It's less of the "finding new music" that VMP is and more grabbing things that are in my preference wheelhouse.

Make sure you like Dualtone's roster because you will be getting a lot of those picks as ROTM and Discovery records. Personally I liked the club better when Drew Holcomb owned it.
That's good to know. I'll look it over, because I'm sure I'm familiar with some of the roster but not all.

1645207898861.png

1646674225124.png

1647356656014.png

1648662850198.png

profile_mask2.png

Magnolia Record Club via ksd1.klaviyomail.com​

Mon, Mar 28, 2:37 PM (2 days ago)
to me

Hi members,
We are writing to let you know that there will be a price increase beginning April 1st. This is the first time we have increased prices since Magnolia Record Club’s inception and we do not take this decision lightly. We have been humbled by the support you have shown Magnolia over these last few years and are thrilled at the excitement around our artist community.
Our shipping costs have gone up roughly 23% and the cost of our boxes recently jumped 19%. In addition, the labels from which we source exclusive colors and products from have increased their wholesale pricing. All of these factors have lead us to have to make the decision to raise our prices as to the following rates.
From everyone here at Magnolia, thank you! For your understanding, your ongoing support, and for allowing us to continue to deliver hand-picked vinyl to your door.
Domestic
Monthly - $30
3-month - $87
6-month - $175
12-month - $336
Add-On
Artist Discovery - $25
International
Monthly - $50
3-month - $147
12-month - $576
Everyone that is in the middle of a 3-month or 12-month package will be able to finish out the current term at the original price. Keep in mind that the 6-month subscription type is only available as a gift subscription.
Again, thank you for your ongoing support! Please let us know here if you have any questions or concerns.

Back