Magnolia Record Club

1569912237588.jpeg

OCTOBER 2019
WILCO - ODE TO JOY
The Record

The Record of the Month for October is Ode To Joy, the newest record from Wilco, pressed on white vinyl exclusively for Magnolia Record Club!
The album comes about three years after their last effort, Schmilco, and helps remind us to measure our joy in our own way, and that joy is something that should be celebrated and not ignored.
“There MUST be more love than hate. Right?! I’m not always positive we can be so sure. In any case, I’m starting to feel like being confident in that equation isn’t always the best motivation for me to be my best self – it can kind of let me off the hook a little bit when I think I should be striving to contribute more love outside of my comfortable sphere of family and friends.”
– Jeff Tweedy

THIS MONTH'S DISCOVERY: LEIF VOLLEBEKK
LeifNoBackground-400x400.png

Leif-Vollebekk_Joseph-Yarmush_Aug2016_01_color_header-website-800x296.jpg

Leif Vollebekk is a Montreal adopted singer-songwriter. Many publications are already falling for his new songs such as NPR, WXPN, Brooklyn Vegan, The Fader, VOIR and Les Inrocks, to only name a few. Since the beginning of his career, Leif has performed at the Newport Folk Festival and shared stages with Daniel Lanois, Beth Orton, Sinéad O’Connor, Patrick Watson, Coeur de Pirate, William Fitzsimmons and Sam Amidon. He released his break-through sophomore album ‘North Americana’ in 2013, while his 2010 debut ‘Inland’ was described as “beautiful, memorable and moving” by NPR and “timeless and monumental” by the Independent UK.
New Ways is the sound of desire in its unfolding — whereas Twin Solitude was about self-reflection, New Ways is about engaging and changing, touching and being touched. It’s a physical record, with louder and tighter grooves, and the rawest lyrics the musician has ever recorded—tenderness and violence, sex and rebirth, Plato and Julie Delpy. There’s the heat of the night and the cool blue of morning, hints of Prince and Bill Withers.
Add “New Ways” printed on an exclusive grey vinyl for just $20!

View attachment 18619

OCTOBER 2019
WILCO - ODE TO JOY
The Record

The Record of the Month for October is Ode To Joy, the newest record from Wilco, pressed on white vinyl exclusively for Magnolia Record Club!
The album comes about three years after their last effort, Schmilco, and helps remind us to measure our joy in our own way, and that joy is something that should be celebrated and not ignored.
“There MUST be more love than hate. Right?! I’m not always positive we can be so sure. In any case, I’m starting to feel like being confident in that equation isn’t always the best motivation for me to be my best self – it can kind of let me off the hook a little bit when I think I should be striving to contribute more love outside of my comfortable sphere of family and friends.”
– Jeff Tweedy
Swapped for Jamestown Revival. Could never get that into Wilco. Unfortunately may have to drop Magnolia soon. Been spending way too much on Vinyl lately and they just havent been hitting my tastes as well as I initially thought they would.

Swapped for Jamestown Revival. Could never get that into Wilco. Unfortunately may have to drop Magnolia soon. Been spending way too much on Vinyl lately and they just havent been hitting my tastes as well as I initially thought they would.
Yeah I dropped it a few months ago for similar reasons. They had a stretch of releases that were straight fire but since then I just haven't been digging the output.

Wilco is not a favorite of mine and I personally think it is a pretty lazy pick, but I like the first two singles I have heard. I also generally don't like it when the same artist are continually records of the month. Penny and Sparrow has been record of the month three times, Wilco twice, Chris Stapleton Twice, and Lumineers twice. There are tons of great artists out there that could use some love. Artist Discovery continues to be my favorite part of the club.

Last edited:
Wilco is not a favorite of mine and I personally think it is a pretty lazy pick, but I like the first two singles I have heard. I also generally don't like it when the same artist are continually records of the month. Penny and Sparrow has been record of the month three times, Wilco twice, Chris Stapleton Twice, and Lumineers twice. There are tons of great artists out there that could use some love. Artist Discovery continues to be my favorite part of the club.

Yeah for sure. The diversity is my issue. I was hoping for a good mix of Country, Bluegrass, and Americana in this sub and its mostly just Indie Rock and more singer-songwriter esque Americana. And as you said lazy Artist choices. If I could sign up for just Artist Discovery, I probably would have went that route a while ago.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

listened to a bit of Leif Vollebekk's last one this morning and like what Im hearing. Jamestown Revival and this isnt a bad box for the month at all.

Yes I like what I am hearing with Leif Vollebekk too. Why can't we get more obscure artists like this? We all could probably name 30 artists or records that would be just as good of picks as theirs. Then again, I am sure they just go with safe picks that they think most of their subscribers will enjoy.

Last edited:
Same here...and I think they know that which is exactly why we can't do it. So instead I have to pay for an album of Drew Holcomb seeing how many times he can fit in an ABAB rhyme scheme
I mean you can’t really bitch about Drew Holcomb’s Record club sending you Drew Holcomb albums...

Back