Magnolia Record Club

I'm sure next months record will be Lumineers but I would really like them to do a record of the month for the new Noah Gundersen.

1567319962286.jpeg
SEPTEMBER 2019
THE LUMINEERS - III
The Record

This month’s ROTM is III, the new album by The Lumineers, pressed exclusively for our members on blue vinyl!
III, the band’s third album, was written by Schultz and multi-instrumentalist Jeremiah Fraites and sees violinist/vocalist Lauren Jacobson, who has played on the group’s previous two releases, officially joining the band. Fraites said of the new music in a statement, “This collection of songs worked out in a beautiful way, and I feel with this album we’ve really hit our stride.”

THIS MONTH'S DISCOVERY: SMOOTH HOUND SMITH
SmoothHoundSmithRecord-800x566.png

Smooth Hound Smith is a foot stompin’ American roots and rock band founded by Zack Smith (guitars/vocals/foot drums/harmonicas/banjo) and Caitlin Doyle-Smith (vocals/percussion). Established in 2012, and based in East Nashville, TN, they record and perform a varied and unique style of folky, garage-infused rhythm & blues. Using primal foot percussion, complex, fuzzed-out, finger-picked guitar patterns, warbled harmonicas, tasty harmonies and syncopated tambourine, they are able to create something rugged and visceral: a modern interpretation of early blues, soul, and rock ‘n’ roll music that harkens back to the traditions of hazy front porch folk songs as well as raucous back-alley juke joints.

Add “Dog in a Manger” printed on an exclusive copper swirl vinyl for just $20

I’ve not listened to the new Lumineers but like them well enough.

Smooth Hound Smith’s description sounds awesome so I’m definitely looking forward to that and the vinyl looks pretty.

Now to get this month/last months records... whichever it is...

View attachment 15878
SEPTEMBER 2019
THE LUMINEERS - III
The Record

This month’s ROTM is III, the new album by The Lumineers, pressed exclusively for our members on blue vinyl!
III, the band’s third album, was written by Schultz and multi-instrumentalist Jeremiah Fraites and sees violinist/vocalist Lauren Jacobson, who has played on the group’s previous two releases, officially joining the band. Fraites said of the new music in a statement, “This collection of songs worked out in a beautiful way, and I feel with this album we’ve really hit our stride.”
How is someone who has been on every album not already a member of the band? Musicians are weird.

THIS MONTH'S DISCOVERY: SMOOTH HOUND SMITH
SmoothHoundSmithRecord-800x566.png

Smooth Hound Smith is a foot stompin’ American roots and rock band founded by Zack Smith (guitars/vocals/foot drums/harmonicas/banjo) and Caitlin Doyle-Smith (vocals/percussion). Established in 2012, and based in East Nashville, TN, they record and perform a varied and unique style of folky, garage-infused rhythm & blues. Using primal foot percussion, complex, fuzzed-out, finger-picked guitar patterns, warbled harmonicas, tasty harmonies and syncopated tambourine, they are able to create something rugged and visceral: a modern interpretation of early blues, soul, and rock ‘n’ roll music that harkens back to the traditions of hazy front porch folk songs as well as raucous back-alley juke joints.

Add “Dog in a Manger” printed on an exclusive copper swirl vinyl for just $20

Very excited about this Discovery pick. Saw them a few years back at a small festival put on by the lead singer of The Revivalists.

Has anyone else received warped records from them? It seems like most of mine lately have been warped.
Black box doesn’t help. I’ve gotten a few warps, nothing that I needed to have replaced. They are pretty good at sending replacements though, if you need one.

I’ve asked for two replacements, and they came in warped as well. I know they claim to have unlimited replacements, but I feel bad asking for a record until I get one that is flat. I know my Penny and Sparrow, Judah and the Lion, Shovels and Rope have been the latest ones to come in that way.

New Store Exclusive.
Jake Troth- It Is As If.

1567703009993.png

Drew’s new record is interesting. After the quaintness of Family there is the bombastic Mumford like End of the World which is followed by the albums best track an earnest like all of his love songs, But I’ll Never Forget the Way You Make me Feel. By You Never Leave My Heart he’s reached a full Neil Diamond Ballader mode. It’s a poppier sound than last time I checked in on Medicine and it’s nice, it firmly fits in the needtobreathe (slightly ironic given the discovery track) of poppy Americana rock. It’s comfort music and that’s what I expect from him (even if Make it Look So Easy gets a little Bryan Adamsy).

Back