Magnolia Record Club

opinions on the Spotify singles pressing? I’m not the biggest fan of Brandi, and swaptions look decent this month.

I got the original one back in 2020 and it's probably my favorite MRC RotM thus far. Most of the covers are solid to great (that Sarah Jarosz' Prince Cover and Phoebe Cover song are top notch) and it is actually pretty exclusive to the club (I think Dualtone briefly sold excess copies but otherwise it's been club specific as a release). Strong recommend for anyone who skipped it and likes the artists on it.

As for me, I'll need to look through swaps. I got my webstore Brandi and I don't need two of them, definitely welcoming some new options but I think I'll skip unless a skip speaks to me and Strand of Oaks catches my ear on a listen.

Interesting note: Strand of Oaks is also available as a swap option, so if you don't see anything that strikes you as a swap other than it, you could use your regular sub towards it.

For those looking to swap Brandi, I can vouch that I liked the Spotify Singles (the original green pressing seems to be in there too interestingly enough), Prine is always solid, the Come On Up To The House comp can be found cheaper but is very good. I dug the Leon Bridges on streaming a ton, that might be my swaption to be honest if I like Strand of Oaks enough

Last edited:
I paused my subscription last month. Is there anyway to look at swaps, without reactivating and them charging you immediately?

Spotify Singles
Chris Knight: A Pretty Good Guy
David Rodriguez: My Love is a Hurricane
Judah and the Lion: Spirit
Leon Bridges: Gold Digger
The Lone Bellow: Second Phase

You can also get another copy of Thad Cockrell if you’d like.
These are the only ones I haven’t seen available as swaps anytime before.

Spotify Singles
Chris Knight: A Pretty Good Guy
David Rodriguez: My Love is a Hurricane
Judah and the Lion: Spirit
Leon Bridges: Gold Digger
The Lone Bellow: Second Phase

You can also get another copy of Thad Cockrell if you’d like.
These are the only ones I haven’t seen available as swaps anytime before.

Thanks, I will probably go with Christ Knight. Have everything on the list except The Lone Bellow Second Phase.

Thanks, I will probably go with Christ Knight. Have everything on the list except The Lone Bellow Second Phase.
I’ll probably stick to the Spotify album. I passed on it last year since it was a compilation. They have the splatter repress that released earlier this year. Some of the swaps are available in the store for a couple dollars more, and I don’t think the compilation is.

I got my shipping notice for an album I didn't want. (Amerikinda) That's what I get for turning my sub back on a day too early I guess.
I keep thinking I'll quit altogether, but when I saw the upcoming Brandi Carlile I unpaused my subscription. This is my mistake of course, not thinking very clearly lately.

I've begun waiting until about a weekish in before I touch my sub either way, the system seems to do terribly with 1st of the month changes.

I mean, you shouldn't have to, it's on them for having a system that can't handle day one changes and keeping it unlocked on day one. It's something they should fix.

I'd check to see if you got charged for it, I think they just sent me Manchester Orchestra with no charge when it happened to me on month to month

Back